BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Brembo vs Stoptech

Basically looking at the big brake kit, and wanting to know which LASTS longer...I wouldn't really expect that the brembo's would last longer, even though they cost substantially more.

Any info on this is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Stoptech use Brembo calipers.

The quality of discs and pads is not much different.

The price is massively different!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
where did you hear that? (calipers)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Brembo!!!!!! Period!!!
      04-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

AP Racing! Period!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
I've decided I will probably go with Brembo. The reason for this is, and is definitely not limited to:

- Stoptech is not something I've heard only good things about
- AP racing is owned by Brembo
- AP racing allows 3rd parties to build their brakes
- Brembo has extremely stringent criteria and quality control for parts/fit/etc
- Brembo is most expensive, but I may get a discount!
- etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

+1, going with Brembo's as well.

I should add however for those of you that may be interested in Stoptech that they will offer a complete carbon ceramic rotor kit in 380mm front and 355 rear this summer for about $16K.
      01-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
surfcitym3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ever heard anything about Alkon brakes? They've got a distributor in CA called STaSIS Engineering gonna call them on Monday, anyone know if they do kits for our E9*'s?

www.alcon.co.uk

I'm probably gonna go with the Stoptechs but it always nice to have other options.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

i love my stoptechs....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Ummm....no. Get your facts straight Brembo stole the F50(front) and F40(rear) design and Stop Tech does all there own R&D
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A few more things to add Brembo is cast ST is forged Brembo is one piece where ST is two. They aret the same size, dimension or weight as a matter of fact there are so many differences between ST and Brembo anyone who has ever seen the two can instantly tell the difference, not just in the calipers but the hats are bigger on ST and the rear rotors arent 380(like Brembos) and thats just a few of the obvious differences you can see with your eye from a mile away. Both are good brakes however, neither company is copying each other, they are polar opposites as far as BBK concepts are concerned. I have driven an e92 m3 with all three configurations(stock, Brembo, ST) and I think the Brembos and ST are very comparable.

Last edited by serven7; 01-04-2009 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Both are very good systems.

but if it were for my car, I would lean towards Brembo just because it is monoblock.(but it's costy! )
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
A few more things to add Brembo is cast ST is forged Brembo is one piece where ST is two. They aret the same size, dimension or weight as a matter of fact there are so many differences between ST and Brembo anyone who has ever seen the two can instantly tell the difference, not just in the calipers but the hats are bigger on ST and the rear rotors arent 380(like Brembos) and thats just a few of the obvious differences you can see with your eye from a mile away. Both are good brakes however, neither company is copying each other, they are polar opposites as far as BBK concepts are concerned. I have driven an e92 m3 with all three configurations(stock, Brembo, ST) and I think the Brembos and ST are very comparable.
Nice!! Any word on cc from stoptech?
      01-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Nice!! Any word on cc from stoptech?
Not yet, they still keep telling me the set they had on display for SEMA isnt going to be sold to the public. I sent you the email about the Movit CC but I have no experience with that company. I believe they do they same as Brembo as far as stealing from Ferrari's parts bin and retrofitting. They are a two piece forged just like ST but the most appealing thing about them is they come in 370mm which will fit in your 18'' track wheel!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Ummm....no. Get your facts straight Brembo stole the F50(front) and F40(rear) design and Stop Tech does all there own R&D
Whoa...I think there's more than 1 person who needs to get facts straight.

Brembo developed the F40 and F50 calipers specifically for the Ferrari F40 and Ferrari F50. When people refer to "F50" calipers they are using a nickname for the caliper body based on the original design from the Ferrari car. Nothing was "stolen" because it was a Brembo product in the first place. The current "F50" (nicknamed) calipers that are being used in the High Performance program for aftermarket brake kits are generations different than the originals. They are also available in multiple piston diameters to cover a wide range of applications, so "F50"/"F40" does not refer to just one or two styles of caliper. The only thing that remains the same between the multiple versions (besides aesthetics) is the pad shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Elvolve
These rumors originate from the fact that StopTech's first generation 4-piston calipers looked almost identical to the "F40/F50" caliper. Some people immediately called them an imitation, others assumed that StopTech was sourcing calipers from Brembo. Brembo has NEVER supplied any products to StopTech. Other than a similarity in appearance with their calipers, discs, and hardware, in now way has StopTech ever been affiliated with Brembo. Over the past number of years StopTech has changed suppliers, manufacturing processes, and the shape of their "ST40" caliper to not look soo similar to the Brembo design in order to erase the idea of them being an imitation company.

Last edited by Gary_C; 01-05-2009 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I believe they do they same as Brembo as far as stealing from Ferrari's parts bin and retrofitting.
Nothing in the High Performance division (where aftermarker BBK's come from) is "stolen from Ferrari's parts bin", or any other OEM manufacturer for that matter. The products used in HP are specifically developed for aftermarket use. When Brembo has an OEM contract the tooling and licensing is owned by the automobile manufacturer. It's not uncommon to see products that have similar aesthetics because the engineering and technology is shared.

If you look closely at the caliper used on the new R35 Skyline for example...

...It looks very similar (but still VERY different overall) to the NEW 6-piston monobloc used in the HP BBK's...

The same goes for the original Ferrari F40/F50 caliper...

And the nicknamed "F40/F50" style calipers...

As the generations evolve, many of the calipers produced along the same time line have a similar look and feel while still being drastically different in functional design.

Last edited by Gary_C; 01-12-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
Whoa...I think there's more than 1 person who needs to get facts straight.

Brembo developed the F40 and F50 calipers specifically for the Ferrari F40 and Ferrari F50. When people refer to "F50" calipers they are using a nickname for the caliper body based on the original design from the Ferrari car. Nothing was "stolen" because it was a Brembo product in the first place. The current "F50" (nicknamed) calipers that are being used in the High Performance program for aftermarket brake kits are generations different than the originals. They are also available in multiple piston diameters to cover a wide range of applications, so "F50"/"F40" does not refer to just one or two styles of caliper. The only thing that remains the same between the multiple versions (besides aesthetics) is the pad shape.

These rumors originate from the fact that StopTech's first generation 4-piston calipers looked almost identical to the "F40/F50" caliper. Some people immediately called them an imitation, others assumed that StopTech was sourcing calipers from Brembo. Brembo has NEVER supplied any products to StopTech. Other than a similarity in appearance with their calipers, discs, and hardware, in now way has StopTech ever been affiliated with Brembo. Over the past number of years StopTech has changed suppliers, manufacturing processes, and the shape of their "ST40" caliper to not look soo similar to the Brembo design in order to erase the idea of them being an imitation company.
Good post. I trust my safety to Brembo brakes almost every weekend in cars and bikes and they've yet to disappoint me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
rominl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

i have had ap racing, brembo, and stoptech before on my cars. i think they are all very comprable, top brands. they aren't copying each other, they have their own R&D like some said. imho you can't go wrong with any of them
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #19
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Not yet, they still keep telling me the set they had on display for SEMA isnt going to be sold to the public. I sent you the email about the Movit CC but I have no experience with that company. I believe they do they same as Brembo as far as stealing from Ferrari's parts bin and retrofitting. They are a two piece forged just like ST but the most appealing thing about them is they come in 370mm which will fit in your 18'' track wheel!
Yep, my problem with Movit is that I know absolutely nothing about them (or no one that does). Also, the Movit discs appear to me entirely different from the Ferrari cc discs as they are not perforated or slotted from what I can discern.
      01-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep

I can tell you without a doubt that the differences in the actual products, are just as diverse as the differences as the companies that they come from.

The minority in this instance are the top brands who are truly world class manufacturers versus the growing number of brands that, even though they have an engineer on staff, are sourcing manufacturing from from overseas and building brake systems based on a variety of components that they purchase.

Brembo is a company who handles every step of the process from initial idea or concept, to seeing the through and onto a vehicle.

- This starts in stages as early as the mining and selection of raw materials.
- They also control every step of engineering, R&D, prototyping, in-lab & on-road testing, and finally production level manufacturing.
- From there it's final assembly, quality control, packaging, distribution and even the technical support & customer service for the products sold.

They are a billion dollar entity that is strictly devoted to high performance braking from OEM production, to professional racing, and aftermarket high performance products.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Yep, my problem with Movit is that I know absolutely nothing about them (or no one that does). Also, the Movit discs appear to me entirely different from the Ferrari cc discs as they are not perforated or slotted from what I can discern.
They are definitely not the Brembo CCM type discs that you see on the Ferrari cars. As I mentioned earlier, Brembo does not supply products to any other braking companies.

Here's a link to the company that supplies Movit with their carbon reinforced ceramic discs...
http://surface-transforms.com/siteengine/6/Commerical_overview.stm
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

First I would like to apologize to everyone for putting out bum info on brakes earlier. I hate when people put bad info out. Im sorry there is no excuse for this.

Gary - Thank you for the correction can you direct me to a place where I cold do a little research on the F50/40 braking R&D(since I need it). Also, thank you for the great posts and pictures.

BMW-M-Mexico - I know next to nothing about Movit, Ive called and talked with them for about 45 min and they seem very knowledgeable and they say there QC is next to none but I have a hard time drooping 10k on something I know nothing about. I have been reading up on brakes to find us a CC set but I cant seem to find much so its back to the old debate Brembo or ST Ive gone back and forth about 5 times now but Im leaning towards Brembo because the hats on ST are goofy looking(I know thats not a good reason) and Brembo is Brembo but Im still doing my homework. I must say when you call ST you can hardly get them off the phone all they want to do is talk about brakes, great customer service!
Appreciate 0