THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Panel Under the Steering Column

07-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Panel Under the Steering Column

I am trying to drop the panel under my steering column to run the ODB11 cable for my JB4 install. The instructions say to remove two 10mm bolts and it will drop down. It did not drop. I tugged and pulled on as hard as I though would be necessary but it did not budge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I've removed mine when I installed a clutch stop. There are a bunch of clips in addition to the bolts, of which I believe there were 3 10mm bolts. I had to use a trim removal tool to pull it down, and it required a lot of force. Remember that even though it looks as if it'll split lower, the whole piece from the line right above the "airbag" lettering and below comes off.

I started with the bolts, then worked the trim removal thing down behind the "airbag" lettering and popped those clips all the way to the right. Once the front was off a slight pull down popped the rest out.

Just as a disclaimer I did this awhile ago so my memory might be a little fuzzy.

Here's a DIY for the clutch stop, which includes the bottom panel removal, maybe it'll make more sense: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1239732
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Awesome sauce. This is a great community. There are like three hidden clips just behind the lip of that panel in addition to the two 10mm bolts underneath. It pried free without a lot of force, just needed the right tool. Getting it back in was a bit fiddly and took some patience.
Appreciate 0