BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Intermittent speaker failure

08-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Intermittent speaker failure

I met some friends for dinner this evening, and when I started to drive home, I noticed the speakers in the drivers door seemed to be dead. I turned the balance to full left and fader to front. Sure enough, no sound from the door, though I still had sound from the center speaker. I tried opening and closing the door, and rolling the window down and up, to no avail.

I went home, shut the car completely off, then turned it back on. Still no joy. So, I resigned myself to pulling out the Technics PnP harness, and then calling the dealer tomorrow. I didn't think the harness was the problem, but I didn't want any static about introducing foreign substances into their precious body wiring.

It took a few minutes to get my stuff together. I figured I'd give it one more shot before I started ripping the trunk apart. Lo and behold, sound! That was about 45 minutes ago. I went out and checked again. Still sounds completely normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have an idea as to the cause? The fact that letting the car go all the way 'cold' seemed to fix it makes me think something didn't work right the previous time the infotainment system booted up. I wonder how long it takes to fully shut down.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
I met some friends for dinner this evening, and when I started to drive home, I noticed the speakers in the drivers door seemed to be dead. I turned the balance to full left and fader to front. Sure enough, no sound from the door, though I still had sound from the center speaker. I tried opening and closing the door, and rolling the window down and up, to no avail.

I went home, shut the car completely off, then turned it back on. Still no joy. So, I resigned myself to pulling out the Technics PnP harness, and then calling the dealer tomorrow. I didn't think the harness was the problem, but I didn't want any static about introducing foreign substances into their precious body wiring.

It took a few minutes to get my stuff together. I figured I'd give it one more shot before I started ripping the trunk apart. Lo and behold, sound! That was about 45 minutes ago. I went out and checked again. Still sounds completely normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have an idea as to the cause? The fact that letting the car go all the way 'cold' seemed to fix it makes me think something didn't work right the previous time the infotainment system booted up. I wonder how long it takes to fully shut down.
When I took delivery of my car, they told me that the stereo was not working. No sound out of the speakers. I was buying the car from an out-of-town dealer so I wasn't pleased to hear that but wasn't about to abandon one of the first M2s available in the US. I drove home with no stereo (didn't bother to even try it) because I wanted to get used to the cars natural and unnatural sounds (I'm looking at you ASD!). After the first few days of driving, I decided to give the speakers a shot. I don't waste time with the radio, either streaming music services or podcasts. Worked fine. I have not had a problem since and never experienced what the dealership told me about. I think the issue was in the amp as the speakers were fine. I have the bypass harness installed now for about two weeks and haven't had any issues. My point in saying all of this is that I think it's the stock amp that can be problematic. As you know, there is virtually no cooling aside from passive fins which do nothing in a sealed enclosure. I think your amp got too hot and turned itself off or at least disabled a couple channels. I suspect that's also what happened to mine on delivery day ahead of my getting to the dealership.
M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post

confusion is likely correct: it's almost certainly an amp cooling issue. See this thread on the 2Addicts forum, which documents the same issue with the subwoofers, which are much more prone to this on 2 Series HK systems because of their low wattage output relative to the other drivers.

The solution: If the issue persists -- it generally doesn't in the subs, curiously -- an aftermarket amp that produces more clean power, no matter what drivers you run. Though no one know for certain, based on what we 2Addicts know, the HK amp produces no more than 35 wpc -- and that's likely a peak rating, not RMS (which basically means power before distortion).
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
confusion is likely correct: it's almost certainly an amp cooling issue. See this thread on the 2Addicts forum, which documents the same issue with the subwoofers, which are much more prone to this on 2 Series HK systems because of their low wattage output relative to the other drivers.

The solution: If the issue persists -- it generally doesn't in the subs, curiously -- an aftermarket amp that produces more clean power, no matter what drivers you run. Though no one know for certain, based on what we 2Addicts know, the HK amp produces no more than 35 wpc -- and that's likely a peak rating, not RMS (which basically means power before distortion).
Maybe. It was about 90f. OTOH, there have been hotter days here, and I'd never had it happen before. Anyway, it was still working this morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Happened to me when I got the car for one afternoon. Hasn't happened since.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0