E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlight is shaking on the highway

08-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
Aesthetics
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32 M Sport

Headlight is shaking on the highway

So my headlights are shaking at 60mph+ on the highway or whenever I go over some bumps which causes my lights to flicker all over the road. This has been going on for weeks now. Gonna take it to the dealer for an estimate to fix but a shop told me it'll be $100 just to remove the bumper and check the screws underneath. I had a random "right low beam malfunction" error pop up yesterday as well but it disappeared once I turned the car off and on.

Is this really that hard to do? $100 just to take off the bumper seems like a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetics
So my headlights are shaking at 60mph+ on the highway or whenever I go over some bumps which causes my lights to flicker all over the road. This has been going on for weeks now. Gonna take it to the dealer for an estimate to fix but a shop told me it'll be $100 just to remove the bumper and check the screws underneath. I had a random "right low beam malfunction" error pop up yesterday as well but it disappeared once I turned the car off and on.

Is this really that hard to do? $100 just to take off the bumper seems like a stretch.
It could be either a loose headlight (you can push on it with your hand to check) or it could be the assembly plastic piece that holds on to the projector. You can check it yourself if you want, just kind of a pain to take off the wheel and fender liner.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

^+1

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Aesthetics
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BLUECOLLARMAN View Post
It could be either a loose headlight (you can push on it with your hand to check) or it could be the assembly plastic piece that holds on to the projector. You can check it yourself if you want, just kind of a pain to take off the wheel and fender liner.
The headlight moves if i put pressure on it so I guess its not secured properly. Does this mean I have to take off the bumper and check the screws underneath? Is there an easier way to do this?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BLUECOLLARMAN View Post
The headlight moves if i put pressure on it so I guess its not secured properly. Does this mean I have to take off the bumper and check the screws underneath? Is there an easier way to do this?
Sadly no, the screws are underneath the headlight so taking off the bumper is necessary.
Appreciate 0