F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > First HPDE coming up help with prep
GetBMWParts

08-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3

First HPDE coming up help with prep

Guys,

Taking my 435 ZHP to the track at Mid-Ohio. It's a HPDE through the buckeye chapter of the BMWCCA. Stock but the car has the track package (Msport brakes, oil cooler). The organizer told me to bring another set of break pads. Should I swap to track pads before the event?

Also where does everyone mount their sports action camera in the car? Want to record my sessions on the track.

thanks

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schach23 View Post
Guys,

Taking my 435 ZHP to the track at Mid-Ohio. It's a HPDE through the buckeye chapter of the BMWCCA. Stock but the car has the track package (Msport brakes, oil cooler). The organizer told me to bring another set of break pads. Should I swap to track pads before the event?

Also where does everyone mount their sports action camera in the car? Want to record my sessions on the track.

thanks

Scott
Never been to Mid-O, so not sure how hard it is on brakes... but on my first track day, at NJMP Lightning, my brand new 335i with M Sport brakes/pads/fluid all held up really well - no issues. That said, every track day I've done since, I've used race pads and fluid... and if your fluid is older than 6 months, you'll need to change it anyway.
For GoPro mounting, I've tried a few different locations: on a bar mounted to the headrests, front tow hook... right now prefer mounting it to the windshield, to the right of the rear view mirror. I also bought an external wired mic, and run it from the camera, through the car into the trunk, and out onto the rear tow hook... makes for a much better audio soundtrack ; )
      08-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Never been to Mid-O, so not sure how hard it is on brakes... but on my first track day, at NJMP Lightning, my brand new 335i with M Sport brakes/pads/fluid all held up really well - no issues. That said, every track day I've done since, I've used race pads and fluid... and if your fluid is older than 6 months, you'll need to change it anyway.
For GoPro mounting, I've tried a few different locations: on a bar mounted to the headrests, front tow hook... right now prefer mounting it to the windshield, to the right of the rear view mirror. I also bought an external wired mic, and run it from the camera, through the car into the trunk, and out onto the rear tow hook... makes for a much better audio soundtrack ; )
My contact at the track day told me to bring a set of brake pads and fluid. Should I just get an OEM set from the dealer? And OEM fluid?

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My contact at the track day told me to bring a set of brake pads and fluid. Should I just get an OEM set from the dealer? And OEM fluid?

Scott
What's the build date of your car? If it's more than 6 months before the event date, you'll need new fluid. (And by that I mean in the car before you get to the track - no need to bring additional fluid with you.)
Regarding pads, there's not much use in getting a second set of OEM pads, as the pads on your 2016 are still probably like new. Everyone assumes that OEM pads are inadequate for DEs (which is usually true) but the stock M Sport pads are actually very good...more like a street/track pad. But if you're ready to invest in track pads, I think Pagid RS29s are one of the best options available right now for M Sport brakes.

Last edited by DVC; 08-15-2016 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #5
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

This is your first HPDE dont even bother worrying about the pads. You are not going to be pushing the car hard enough as a first day novice to blow through a set of pads provided your stock ones are relatively new. Your contact (I presume an experienced club member) is just trying to make sure you are fully prepared but I just dont see the need for it.

Down the road, yeah Id probably explore some Pagid Yellows or Hawk DTC60/70s but for your first day you should have plenty of brake. Also if you havent already done a pad swap yet, the time to learn that is not your track day.

Get a brake fluid flush, buy 2-3 500ml bottles of Motul 600 Racing Brake Fluid and have your indy mechanic or dealer perform the flush and thats all you really need.

For GoPro, use the suction cup mount and mount it in the windshield. I'd also ziptie the mount to your mirror in case the suction cup lets go, it wont, but its recommended. Bring a spare battery. I've found 4 20-30 minute sessions will fit on a 32-64gb card and a battery is usually good for 2 sessions. I run my gopro upside down with the suction cup up behind the mirror on the pax side and go into the software to change the orientation. Play with it before the track day to get it where you want it.

Bring a torque wrench to check your lug bolts. Dont have one? $20 bucks at Harbor Freight or $40 at Amazon for a Tekton 1/2" drive plus you'll need a 17mm socket (i like the non-marring one from Burger Tuning specifically for lugs). Torque F30 lug bolts to 103 ft-lbs.

So pads, dont worry about if the car is new anyway. Id flush the brake fluid and use Motul 600. Torque wrench for lugs. Bring a qood quality tire pressure gauge as you will probably be adjusting PSI as the day progresses.

However on your first day you are going to be pretty overwhelmed with all the information coming at you. Listen to your instructors (its common to get different info from the classroom to in-car, defer to your in-car instructor and do what he wants). Spend some time beforehand learning the flags, give clear and concise point-byes, stay hydrated (bring a cooler with snacks and water/cokes) and most importantly have fun!

This is the most fun you can have while wearing pants

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 1
left12356.00
      08-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
This is your first HPDE dont even bother worrying about the pads. You are not going to be pushing the car hard enough as a first day novice to blow through a set of pads provided your stock ones are relatively new. Your contact (I presume an experienced club member) is just trying to make sure you are fully prepared but I just dont see the need for it.

Down the road, yeah Id probably explore some Pagid Yellows or Hawk DTC60/70s but for your first day you should have plenty of brake. Also if you havent already done a pad swap yet, the time to learn that is not your track day.

Get a brake fluid flush, buy 2-3 500ml bottles of Motul 600 Racing Brake Fluid and have your indy mechanic or dealer perform the flush and thats all you really need.

For GoPro, use the suction cup mount and mount it in the windshield. I'd also ziptie the mount to your mirror in case the suction cup lets go, it wont, but its recommended. Bring a spare battery. I've found 4 20-30 minute sessions will fit on a 32-64gb card and a battery is usually good for 2 sessions. I run my gopro upside down with the suction cup up behind the mirror on the pax side and go into the software to change the orientation. Play with it before the track day to get it where you want it.

Bring a torque wrench to check your lug bolts. Dont have one? $20 bucks at Harbor Freight or $40 at Amazon for a Tekton 1/2" drive plus you'll need a 17mm socket (i like the non-marring one from Burger Tuning specifically for lugs). Torque F30 lug bolts to 103 ft-lbs.

So pads, dont worry about if the car is new anyway. Id flush the brake fluid and use Motul 600. Torque wrench for lugs. Bring a qood quality tire pressure gauge as you will probably be adjusting PSI as the day progresses.

However on your first day you are going to be pretty overwhelmed with all the information coming at you. Listen to your instructors (its common to get different info from the classroom to in-car, defer to your in-car instructor and do what he wants). Spend some time beforehand learning the flags, give clear and concise point-byes, stay hydrated (bring a cooler with snacks and water/cokes) and most importantly have fun!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post

+1 on the fluid, most of the clubs I run with make it mandatory that you've flushed your brake fluid with a hi-temp fluid within the last 6 months as part of the tech inspect.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Track event was awesome! Pics and some vids to follow soon. When should I change out the Race brake fluid? I used Castrol SRF fluid. Think I could go till next summer? Thanks

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Probably. SRF isnt supposed to be very hydroscopic but Id probably change it in the spring.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Track event was awesome! Pics and some vids to follow soon. When should I change out the Race brake fluid? I used Castrol SRF fluid. Think I could go till next summer? Thanks

Scott
Excellent - glad to hear it went well!! You've been bitten by the bug now...
      08-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
Quote:

Scott
Excellent - glad to hear it went well!! You've been bitten by the bug now...
Yeah I can see how these are addicting! Gonna keep my eyes open for an e93 m3!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #12
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Here's some pics on the track:

Grid

Apex! Using the gator chasing a new M2

Need to trim the video next.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

How are the Stock PSS tires looking after the event?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
How are the Stock PSS tires looking after the event?
Outsides had wear I've never seen (dont' drive like that on the usual roads), middle didn't have the wear as outside. I bet some camber would have helped spread it out. Was really impressed with how they performed. It was a 90 degree day and the rubber was nice and sticky after my 30 min sessions.
Appreciate 0