E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > OEM Y-cable for Lightning bit the dust

08-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
OEM Y-cable for Lightning bit the dust

Before getting my iPhone 6s I had a 4s for a long time. To play music in the car I used an after market Y-cable for the old Apple 30-pin plug for over a year without a problem. When I got the 6s I used the same cable with a 30-pin to Lightning adapter, which worked fine but the adapter kept falling out of the phone, which was a pain. So I got an OEM BMW Y-cable for Lightning (THIS). It worked fine for a few months then suddenly stopped working. It still charges the phone but won't play music through the cable. Music still plays via bluetooth, but that is glitchy. I switched back to the old Y-cable with the adapter and it still works fine. So I think the new Lightning cable bit the dust. Has anyone else had this kind of early failure with the OEM Lightning Y-cable? I figure I'll probably get a new one, but they are expensive and I don't want to keep replacing it if this is a known problem.

Thanks,
Robert
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert
Before getting my iPhone 6s I had a 4s for a long time. To play music in the car I used an after market Y-cable for the old Apple 30-pin plug for over a year without a problem. When I got the 6s I used the same cable with a 30-pin to Lightning adapter, which worked fine but the adapter kept falling out of the phone, which was a pain. So I got an OEM BMW Y-cable for Lightning (THIS). It worked fine for a few months then suddenly stopped working. It still charges the phone but won't play music through the cable. Music still plays via bluetooth, but that is glitchy. I switched back to the old Y-cable with the adapter and it still works fine. So I think the new Lightning cable bit the dust. Has anyone else had this kind of early failure with the OEM Lightning Y-cable? I figure I'll probably get a new one, but they are expensive and I don't want to keep replacing it if this is a known problem.

Thanks,
Robert
Keep in mind oem parts have a 2 yr warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
DustyLBottoms
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009/335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post

Thanks,
Robert
You might try updating the firmware in the cable to see if it can revive it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #4
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Keep in mind oem parts have a 2 yr warranty
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms View Post
You might try updating the firmware in the cable to see if it can revive it.
How do I do that?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
DustyLBottoms
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009/335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post

How do I do that?
Go here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

I bought a brand-new cable a month ago, and there was already an update for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms View Post
Go here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

I bought a brand-new cable a month ago, and there was already an update for it.
Thanks for that, but unfortunately it did not fix the problem. Looks like I'll be trying to get BMW to replace the cable under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Keep us posted. I'm using a lightning adapter for the time being also, but prefer a single cable without adapters.

If the warranty holds I'll jump on one too.