THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Touch-up paint, mineral grey

08-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Touch-up paint, mineral grey

Has anyone successfully used touch-up paint (B39) on their mineral grey 2 series? I got a pretty nasty door ding repaired and, when I went to apply touch up paint, I ran into exactly the problem described (and pictured) here. Luckily, I was able to get the touch-up paint off before it set, so no lasting harm done.

Anyone have any insight/advice? Been thinking of packing it in and going with Dr. Colorchip. But, seeing as I have the touch-up paint, figured I'd see if anyone here had advice before I give up.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunnz
Has anyone successfully used touch-up paint (B39) on their mineral grey 2 series? I got a pretty nasty door ding repaired and, when I went to apply touch up paint, I ran into exactly the problem described (and pictured) here. Luckily, I was able to get the touch-up paint off before it set, so no lasting harm done.

Anyone have any insight/advice? Been thinking of packing it in and going with Dr. Colorchip. But, seeing as I have the touch-up paint, figured I'd see if anyone here had advice before I give up.
Gray and Silver will always look darker when touched up. When the car is painted the metallic portion of the paint tends to even out from mixing and line pressure during application. When you take and glob metallic paint to cover a chip all of the metallic and pigment is bunched together and the paint is less translucent. Try dabbing the paint on a piece of cardboard etc. mix it around well and apply a very thin coat of paint. Do that a few times and top off with a dab of clear coat.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Gray and Silver will always look darker when touched up. When the car is painted the metallic portion of the paint tends to even out from mixing and line pressure during application. When you take and glob metallic paint to cover a chip all of the metallic and pigment is bunched together and the paint is less translucent. Try dabbing the paint on a piece of cardboard etc. mix it around well and apply a very thin coat of paint. Do that a few times and top off with a dab of clear coat.
Makes sense. It's just soooo much darker. I'll try as you suggest, thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So xantdieselx was totally right. Shook the hell out of the tube, brushed it onto some cardboard so it was more spread out, then dipped a toothpick in and spread it around the mark with the toothpick. Several layers of that and the color match is pretty much spot on. Now to let the clearcoat dry, wax, and hope for the best!

Anyway, thanks much!
Appreciate 0