THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Mild exhaust for 228ix

09-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Mild exhaust for 228ix

Looking to install a mild exhaust as the stock one is a little anemic. I don't like loud just a nice purr. I have the Mpackage so it needs to fit under the rear valance. Super Sprint makes one but not for the Mpackage. I had a mild Magna Flow on my Jeep, which was just right.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Looking to install a mild exhaust as the stock one is a little anemic. I don't like loud just a nice purr. I have the Mpackage so it needs to fit under the rear valance. Super Sprint makes one but not for the Mpackage. I had a mild Magna Flow on my Jeep, which was just right.
Turner Motor Sports lists a Super Sprint system that's suppose to fit your vehicle.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...tems-and-parts
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
Turner Motor Sports lists a Super Sprint system that's suppose to fit your vehicle.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...tems-and-parts
$1100+ for a muffler? wow, who buys these things?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
$1100+ for a muffler? wow, who buys these things?
All us old guys with lots of discretionary income.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Yeah, thats a little high but I did have one on my S2000 and the sound was nice. Not too loud and no popping, crackling or other noise which I don't want. I sent them an e-mail as I want to make sure of fitment. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, thats a little high but I did have one on my S2000 and the sound was nice. Not too loud and no popping, crackling or other noise which I don't want. I sent them an e-mail as I want to make sure of fitment. thanks.
maybe look into a catted dp. its cheaper and it will give you a little boost in performance

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/catalog/218
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Rayscott
Major
Rep

I checked the link. It said to check the emissions sticker yo see if I have a N20 or N26. I have SULEV on the sticker which indicates a N26 engine. ULEV is for a N20 engine. My 228ix vert is new so I am not familiar with these N numbers. What engine number is my engine. Also I'm mainly looking for a mild sound, do these downpipes provide that. They offer a Comp series ($495) and a Sports Hi flow series for $895. What is the difference. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

if you have the SULEV then you have the N26 engine. the comp series is catless where as the sport series has a cat. you will definitely want the sport series (catted). the sound should be relatively mild though this all depends on what you consider to be mild. the comp series (catless) will be a lot louder, definitely not mild and also illegal.

the dinan free flow exhaust could also be another option that is slightly cheaper than the tuner motorsport muffler.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d66...ries&mid=1184/

Last edited by aozer; 09-09-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I am very happy with the Dinan exhaust. Makes its presence felt, audibly, but without ever being obnoxious.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I am very happy with the Dinan exhaust. Makes its presence felt, audibly, but without ever being obnoxious.
I looked into this exhaust but there is a disclaimer saying that is has not yet been tested for the M aerodynamic rear bumper so fitment is not guaranteed. I have the M sport package so is this what they are referring to. How did yours fit and how does it sound at idle, low speed and high speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
I looked into this exhaust but there is a disclaimer saying that is has not yet been tested for the M aerodynamic rear bumper so fitment is not guaranteed. I have the M sport package so is this what they are referring to. How did yours fit and how does it sound at idle, low speed and high speed.
I read the same disclaimer and I have the M-Sport too, so I photographed the rear bumper and sent it to my Dinan tuner shop which forwarded it to Dinan and got the all-clear from them. It fits perfectly but the various diffuser/bumper combos do make it confusing, so I suggest you do the same; or send a pic directly to Dinan, as they are very pleasant and helpful.

As for the sound: I like it. My daughter says she can hear me coming from half a block away but I do live on a quiet street. It's a low growl, much more involving than the stock mumble, loud when the engine is cold and when you open it up, otherwise civilised (i.e. it's not obnoxious). You will definitely notice it if you select Sport gearing and do your own shifting in Sport + with the paddles or sequential shifter; when I do this, I upshift more aggressively than the car does in fully automatic and the exhaust note at 4K to 5K RPM is gratifying and much more appropriate for a car that, as modified, really can haul ass when asked to. Although Dinan products are more discreet than other more pants-on-fire mods, there is no mistaking this exhaust tone for stock. And I gained 10HP.

Hope this helps!

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I read the same disclaimer and I have the M-Sport too, so I photographed the rear bumper and sent it to my Dinan tuner shop which forwarded it to Dinan and got the all-clear from them. It fits perfectly but the various diffuser/bumper combos do make it confusing, so I suggest you do the same; or send a pic directly to Dinan, as they are very pleasant and helpful.

As for the sound: I like it. My daughter says she can hear me coming from half a block away but I do live on a quiet street. It's a low growl, much more involving than the stock mumble, loud when the engine is cold and when you open it up, otherwise civilised (i.e. it's not obnoxious). You will definitely notice it if you select Sport gearing and do your own shifting in Sport + with the paddles or sequential shifter; when I do this, I upshift more aggressively than the car does in fully automatic and the exhaust note at 4K to 5K RPM is gratifying and much more appropriate for a car that, as modified, really can haul ass when asked to. Although Dinan products are more discreet than other more pants-on-fire mods, there is no mistaking this exhaust tone for stock. And I gained 10HP.

Hope this helps!
This is very informative, Sounds like this is just what I am looking for. Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0