THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Harness Bar and seats

10-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Harness Bar and seats

Anyone install a harness bar yet?

It looks to be a 49 or 50", but was wondering if anyone installed one and knows exactly.

Cant get an exact measurement because of the way the seatbelt clip is molded.
I wonder how much of a challenge this is going to cause.

Also, anyone know what the max size for racing seats are to fit?

Thanks!
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Almost every stand alone harness bar I've seen for various cars is just for looks. I would be very careful using one unless it's absolutely designed for function and not form.

The only "harness bars" that are legit will be ones integrated into a 4 point cage or something that is so close to what a 4 point cage is that you might as well get an actual 4 point cage.

Edit: I've used these before: https://www.schrothracing.com/products/tuning

Here is a Sparco bar...

Last edited by Anthony235; 11-03-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Almost every stand alone harness bar I've seen for various cars is just for looks. I would be very careful using one unless it's absolutely designed for function and not form.

The only "harness bars" that are legit will be ones integrated into a 4 point cage or something that is so close to what a 4 point cage is that you might as well get an actual 4 point cage.

Edit: I've used these before: https://www.schrothracing.com/products/tuning

Here is a Sparco bar...
VERY much agree with this. Unfortunately if you want harnesses, you either wait until Schroth approves quick fit harnesses for the F22 chassis, install quick fit harnesses w/o manufacturers "approval" or you install a proper 4 point roll bar.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
VERY much agree with this. Unfortunately if you want harnesses, you either wait until Schroth approves quick fit harnesses for the F22 chassis, install quick fit harnesses w/o manufacturers "approval" or you install a proper 4 point roll bar.

I use quick fit, yes not manufacturing approved, basically it's stitching, stitching is designed to fail if seat folds, so you don't get decapitated.

While a harness and race seat would be safer on track, not so much on street, unless your rocking a helmet full time.

If I am on the track and the roof is collapsing, given the strength of the roof in rollover testing I'm probably leaving in a helicopter or a van. I.e. More risk for me on the street.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I use quick fit, yes not manufacturing approved, basically it's stitching, stitching is designed to fail if seat folds, so you don't get decapitated.

While a harness and race seat would be safer on track, not so much on street, unless your rocking a helmet full time.

If I am on the track and the roof is collapsing, given the strength of the roof in rollover testing I'm probably leaving in a helicopter or a van. I.e. More risk for me on the street.
Always a big debate on this in the various forums. Personally I think a 4 point cage is fine with stock harnesses/seats.

I might go with a 4 point and harnesses in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Do you mean that the manufacturer-approved part is the special breakaway stitching to accommodate possible seat failure? and if so, what part?

And wouldn't they be better if routed outside the supports for the headrest, so as to keep neck clearance?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've decided to just keep car as is and purchase a Spec e30 for 7-8k already race prepped.

See you in Nasa!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
I've decided to just keep car as is and purchase a Spec e30 for 7-8k already race prepped.

See you in Nasa!
much better choice, I campaigned those years ago, a lot of fun!
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      11-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Unfortunately if you want harnesses, you either wait until Schroth approves quick fit harnesses for the F22 chassis, install quick fit harnesses w/o manufacturers "approval" or you install a proper 4 point roll bar.
Brey-Krause makes a great harness mount system that is easy in/out, so it can be quickly installed for track days, and removed when it's time to get back to reality and make use of the rear seats again. (Here's a link to the one they sell for the e92.)

I have been working with them to develop a version for the F30 (which should fit in the F80 too), and I imagine they'd be interested in designing one for the 2 series as well, since it would serve double duty with the M2.

They're also working on race seat mount adapters that use the factory floor mounts...the mounts should be fairly accommodating to various seats, but the specific seat they're using for the design is the Recaro Profi XL (which just happens to be the seat I'm interested in).
      11-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Have you made sure the seats fit in the 235?

We dont have alot of room to work with.

I emailed those folks a year ago about a harness bar for 2 series, no answer.

IND has a bolt in full cage available for around 6k.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #11
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Have you made sure the seats fit in the 235?

We dont have alot of room to work with.

I emailed those folks a year ago about a harness bar for 2 series, no answer.

IND has a bolt in full cage available for around 6k.
I haven't looked into 235 seat fitment at all, but I expect the Recaro Profi XL would fit fine (don't let the "XL" scare you - it's not much bigger than standard, and Recaro seats generally run a bit on the small side). At any rate, as I understand it, their mounts will work with most race seats.

I have never tried emailing them; the company has various industrial manufacturing operations, so it might be better to just call and ask for Ian, who is their dedicated auto engineer...(and he's a die hard BMW guy).

By the way, Ian also worked up a set of anodized aluminum spacers to make the M car tension struts fit our cars. Some guys are having these custom made to get the specs just right (or buying off the shelf spacers that are close, then doing a little fitting to make them work), so I suggested that B-K consider offering them as a drop in kit in their parts catalog...Not sure if they plan to do so, but they may do if people show interest.

I'm sure the IND cage is nice - but 6k is steep, and I imagine it's a pain in the neck to get in and out.
      11-28-2016, 11:32 PM   #12
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
I'm in the same boat as a few others here. Need a nice bar or cage asap. I'm getting ready to remove the M Performance seats and quick fit 4 points and install some Profi SPG XL seats with 6 points. Local tracks will no longer allow the 4 points after the first of the year, even the Schroth Profi ASM and will require a HANS even on open lapping if you're using harnesses. I would've thought there'd be an option for something other than the cage from IND by now. May have to build my own if nothing comes out soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

IND has a full cage under the m2.

It should bolt right since its basically the same car. Heavy price tag tho.
Appreciate 0