BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How many of you have blown a tire/rim?

10-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

How many of you have blown a tire/rim?

Mostly curious to hear from those of you in states with a real winter - where we have real potholes... and yes, I realize that none of us have actually driven our M2 through a real winter (except for our Aussie friends).

Trying to decide if I want to get the wheel and tire insurance - curious how susceptible the wheels/tires are to road damage. I think if it had run-flats, it would be a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Mostly curious to hear from those of you in states with a real winter - where we have real potholes... and yes, I realize that none of us have actually driven our M2 through a real winter (except for our Aussie friends).

Trying to decide if I want to get the wheel and tire insurance - curious how susceptible the wheels/tires are to road damage. I think if it had run-flats, it would be a no-brainer.
I don't live in an area with terrible roads but even if I did I wouldn't go the wheel/tire insurance route. Sure you hear all the time about the guys who "won" by having an issue and the insurance paid off but clearly far more don't have issues and end up paying for something they don't need. Pretty much all of the extended warranties and niche insurance policies have been studied by consumer reports and others and rarely do they make good sense. One of these tires costs $300 and a wheel costs $900 new so you can do the math as to if it makes sense for you. I have seen people spend almost 2k on those plans because the dealer marks them up, if you go that route then at least negotiate the price to something that makes financial sense for you.
Appreciate 1
WaMi61.50
      10-18-2016, 01:38 AM   #3
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Hey, do you want Volcano insurance?
Appreciate 1
WaMi61.50
      10-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

pruettfan, here is the issue - it is different here. Really really different. The streets of Chicago (which I try to avoid) are littered with huge potholes, sewer lids sticking up, and a myriad of other other horrific things.

The people who "win" with this type of insurance are the ones with cars that are susceptible to this type of damage. Case in point, I drove my 650GC downtown ONCE and had a bubble on the tire the next day. Switched out to the non-RFTs and have been fine (although to be fair, we now try to take the wife's MDX whenever we go downtown.)

Long story short, I'm looking for people who live in places like this (hell hole? ) to see their experiences. Unfortunately I think just too few of these have been delivered to get a real idea of how bad the 19s are here. I suspect that the M3 forum might have a bigger population with experiences.

PS - My M5 went through a rim and two tires in the 3 years I had it. Back then the insurance was like $1,200 and that first hit alone was more than that. And no, I did not have the insurance then
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
pruettfan, here is the issue - it is different here. Really really different. The streets of Chicago (which I try to avoid) are littered with huge potholes, sewer lids sticking up, and a myriad of other other horrific things.

The people who "win" with this type of insurance are the ones with cars that are susceptible to this type of damage. Case in point, I drove my 650GC downtown ONCE and had a bubble on the tire the next day. Switched out to the non-RFTs and have been fine (although to be fair, we now try to take the wife's MDX whenever we go downtown.)

Long story short, I'm looking for people who live in places like this (hell hole? ) to see their experiences. Unfortunately I think just too few of these have been delivered to get a real idea of how bad the 19s are here. I suspect that the M3 forum might have a bigger population with experiences.

PS - My M5 went through a rim and two tires in the 3 years I had it. Back then the insurance was like $1,200 and that first hit alone was more than that. And no, I did not have the insurance then
Had an e92 for 4.5 years that I DD'd into NYC. In that time I had 2 blown tires and one bubble. I plan to avoid driving this car during the really cold winter days (both blown tires came at 6:00am rides where it's dark and after snow destroyed the west side) and instead use the bus system. I'm also unsure about diving into the insurance because I can't fathom getting a blown tire or bent rim more than twice in 3 years but you never know
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Tommyvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5, 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post

I live in the western suburbs so its not quite as bad as in the city. I currently have an M3 and will go with 19's for my winter set up. I admit I am taking a risk, I just don't like the look of 18's on this car for 4 months. With my previous 335i sedan, after a pretty bad winter, the day after I put my summer run flat 18's on I hit a huge pothole and put a bubble in one of the front tires. The rim was fine. Based on my experience with one incident and replacing one tire, its not enough for me to purchase the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

insurance is a big business for a reason... all depends on your risk tolerance and how much you enjoy fighting with insurance companies when you try to make a claim. I've been driving 37 years, and outside of car crashes have only had 2 flat tires much less bent wheels (and was in Michigan much of that time which doesn't have stellar roads).. If I bent a wheel, I'd use that as a good excuse to get a nice set of aftermarket wheels myself, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyvee View Post
I live in the western suburbs so its not quite as bad as in the city. I currently have an M3 and will go with 19's for my winter set up. I admit I am taking a risk, I just don't like the look of 18's on this car for 4 months. With my previous 335i sedan, after a pretty bad winter, the day after I put my summer run flat 18's on I hit a huge pothole and put a bubble in one of the front tires. The rim was fine. Based on my experience with one incident and replacing one tire, its not enough for me to purchase the insurance.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
Appreciate 0