Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > A lot of balancing weights - is this normal???

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
suntanlinus
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe space grey/coral r

A lot of balancing weights - is this normal???

I got new tires installed today on my 335is 19" 313 wheels - Conti DWS06s. They have several balance weights on two of the wheels and about 2 on the other 2 wheels. I can see them clearly from a distance and was wondering if that many weights is normal? I'll take some pictures.
      10-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Things to consider are:

1. Bent wheels
2. Workers competency level
3. Faulty equipment (old, out of calibration, etc.)

I personally watch the guy balance the tires every time to
a) make sure they don't scratch the wheels, especially around the center bore and
b) to make sure the guy is balancing the wheels properly and placing the weights at the right location

Keep in mind that a lot of these shops hire almost anybody to this work. So you must watch what they are doing. Usually I can tell the guys competency level just by the way he holds the tire.

In your case I am leaning towards bent wheels, especially that it's two (probably pot hole damage from the same side of the car)
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

I had two tires put on today since I hit a major pothole and destroyed my other tires. They put 7 weights on one and six on the other.

I'm curious to hear more responses as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
suntanlinus
Private
Rep

I hadn't noticed any damage to the wheels prior to installation so a little confused
      10-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Road Force numbers are way more important than the amount of weight put on a wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
suntanlinus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Road Force numbers are way more important than the amount of weight put on a wheel.
Can you explain what that means? Are you saying that road force balancing provides more accurate data which may result in less weights?
      10-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
inspired626
Private
Rep
Drives: A slow one

IIRC, each wheel weight is 1/4 ounce each. 4 - 6 ounces is an acceptable amount i believe, especially if you have tpms. if you only have 2 pieces of the 1/4 ounce blocks, that's only 1/2 ounce of wheel weights added for balancing. that's really good.

tire rack's site states: How many wheel weights are too many?

While there is no industry standard, the general consensus of what is too much weight is when it takes more than 1% of the assembly weight to bring it into balance.

More here - http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...-are-too-many-
Appreciate 0