BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Anyone upgrade their exhaust and upgrade the stereo?

11-21-2016, 04:02 AM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Anyone upgrade their exhaust and upgrade the stereo?

I've booked the car in for a Bavsound Stage 3 upgrade (speakers, subs and amp), and have just learned that I can get a significant discount on an Akrapovic exhaust.

Anyone have any experience in running the two modifications?

I've heard issues of drone with exhaust modifications, particularly at freeway speeds and have lived it with an earlier car. I wouldn't want to get the exhaust and then find it destroys the experience of music in the car. If that's the consequence, then I'll just manage with the exhaust note the factory gives me.
      11-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Our car has the standard HK system with the active sound delete along with our full exhaust system. To be honest I really believe that the active sound system was adding more drone than our exhaust system. I'd recommend deleting the active sound first and then adding an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Thanks for the suggestion David. Apparently, deletion of active sound is a standard practice when a new amp is put in. Otherwise, it's way too loud and even more annoying.
      11-21-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I have executive package with the HK sound system (which to me sounds pretty good), and I also have the very loud M Performance exhaust. With valves closed it's not too bad going down the highway.

As others have said, the ASD drones more than anything. With ASD bypass harness in place, it's pretty quiet on the highway. It's no 7 series, but it's respectably quiet, even with aftermarket exhaust. (with valves open that's another story)
Appreciate 0