BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE + extras & AA full exhaust + extras

11-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

MPE + extras & AA full exhaust + extras

Me and my buddy "LeonTheJeweler" went for a nice long drive yesterday afternoon under the GWB and got some pictures and videos taken. We figured we'd do a little comparison video of his exhaust compared to mine.

Alpine White M2 (Leon)- Active Auto full exhaust system that comes with their own downpipes already attached + Eventuri Intake + Active Intercooler

LBB M2 (mine)- MPE + VRSF catless downpipes (my eventuri is waiting to be installed)

Both cars were in Sport+ mode (I think lol)

In my opinion they both sound great in their own way. The MPE with the VRFS in my opinion doesn't sound as clean and refined as the AA full system but both sound extremely mean and great either way. Personal preference I think. Great thing is I can close the valve with the MPE and make it sound a lot less crazy and it really changes it. The AA system overall is just a beauty and sounds unbelievable all around.

Hope you all Enjoy! (Sorry only way I know how to post videos here. If anyone knows how to post it straight on the thread please let me know how lol thanks!)

https://flickr.com/photos/145139844@...57677043080296
Appreciate 4
      11-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2

Nice video
      11-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

This is one of few "sound clips" that really make senses.

First of all, both sound great! That being said I'd agree with you that AA system seems to have more "clarity". IMHO, the downpipe is the game changer here. The AA "clarity", which is a little bit higher pitch than the raw sounding MPE, would not have been that impressive without a DP amplifying it.

BTW, I'm undecided on MPE for a while. Till this day I still think it's too less gain over stock system for 3K5 USD, but whatever anyway, already paid 110K for the stock car. There is something special about having gains from OEM parts, plus I read many reviews on it which is all great except 2 problems that doesn't seem to be fixed - 1) Drone at 2750-3250rpm and 2) Vibration during cold start. Do you experience those 2 issues as well?
      11-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
AYurch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I can honestly say that of all the exhaust's available for this car, Active Auto takes the cake. It's just that good!
2007 Honda Civic Si (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So what does everyone think on here?
      11-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
This is one of few "sound clips" that really make senses.

First of all, both sound great! That being said I'd agree with you that AA system seems to have more "clarity". IMHO, the downpipe is the game changer here. The AA "clarity", which is a little bit higher pitch than the raw sounding MPE, would not have been that impressive without a DP amplifying it.

BTW, I'm undecided on MPE for a while. Till this day I still think it's too less gain over stock system for 3K5 USD, but whatever anyway, already paid 110K for the stock car. There is something special about having gains from OEM parts, plus I read many reviews on it which is all great except 2 problems that doesn't seem to be fixed - 1) Drone at 2750-3250rpm and 2) Vibration during cold start. Do you experience those 2 issues as well?

I agree with you as well. For me personally I haven't had any real drone issues that bother me. Maybe it's a bit louder at that rpm range but I don't notice it because I'm always entirely engaged and it always sounded perfect to me at every rpm range. With the valves closed it sounds a lot more pure and a lot closer to the Active just not as loud I would say. Valves open it more raw and not as pure and louder than the Active. I think the Active is the perfect medium between them all.

I went with MPE because I got a crazy deal on it because my friend works there and hooked it up and most of my MPerf parts pretty much at cost. But with the cost of the tips and the cost of the full AA system it's a no brained to go with the AA. I just wish it had a valve controller like the MPE or the Akra but it's utilizes the OEM valve control through the sport+/spot/traction buttons.

Both are great. I'll add another few videos after I get my eventuri added this week to the MPE setup and the intercooler. Also the car needs to be fine tuned. It has a flash tune now and it's not perfect yet. It's still being tested back and forth so well see how they both sound when they're finally done complete. Thanks for the feedback! Either way you can't go wrong! Good luck choosing and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #7
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Nice videos Vapeconj

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Great video! Both are very different sounding exhausts I feel James MPE with DP is a much more aggressive tone that tends to get very loud up top with a higher pitch. The active is smoother sounding throughout the powerband. In this case they both sound great but just appeal to different groups of people.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

What exhaust tip options are available for the AA??
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
What exhaust tip options are available for the AA??
We offer brushed stainless or matte black tip options. The exhaust does use 70mm exhaust pipes so they utilize the same times we sell as slip on options for the M2/3/4. In theory you should be able to use any slip on option for the OEM exhaust, although we haven't tested it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Thanks for sharing!

No problem at all it was a pleasure to hear and cruise around behind this beast.

And just so you all know I am in no way affiliated with anyone that makes exhausts or aftermarket parts for the M2 at all. I'm sure that's obvious by the fact that I have the MPE and VRSF dp's on my own M2. Just wanted to share so you can all see what they both sound like. The pure sound of the AA in my opinion is one of the best exhausts I've ever heard on an Inline6 turbo engine. It's unbelievable. Videos really don't do any justice to either of these exhaust systems at all. Both are great. It's just personal preference and for me personally my car right now is just too loud and vibrates too much when valves are open and in sport+ mode. We'll see how it turns out after the eventuri is installed and the tune is refined. Maybe that'll change it up. But after being in both cars, driving both of them, and hearing them both from outside; If my car doesn't change when valves are open after intake and intercooler and sound more pure I am most definitely changing my full exhaust to the AA system.

Only thing I would've loved to see is an exhaust valve control. But can't be too picky lol. It's a beautiful piece of engineering that's without a doubt. Well done man it's really amazing 🙌 (Just make 1 for me with a valve controller haha&#128514
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapeconj View Post
No problem at all it was a pleasure to hear and cruise around behind this beast.

And just so you all know I am in no way affiliated with anyone that makes exhausts or aftermarket parts for the M2 at all. I'm sure that's obvious by the fact that I have the MPE and VRSF dp's on my own M2. Just wanted to share so you can all see what they both sound like. The pure sound of the AA in my opinion is one of the best exhausts I've ever heard on an Inline6 turbo engine. It's unbelievable. Videos really don't do any justice to either of these exhaust systems at all. Both are great. It's just personal preference and for me personally my car right now is just too loud and vibrates too much when valves are open and in sport+ mode. We'll see how it turns out after the eventuri is installed and the tune is refined. Maybe that'll change it up. But after being in both cars, driving both of them, and hearing them both from outside; If my car doesn't change when valves are open after intake and intercooler and sound more pure I am most definitely changing my full exhaust to the AA system.

Only thing I would've loved to see is an exhaust valve control. But can't be too picky lol. It's a beautiful piece of engineering that's without a doubt. Well done man it's really amazing 🙌 (Just make 1 for me with a valve controller haha&#128514
Thanks for the honest review!

We're currently using our AWRON gauge to control the valve (which I have in stock ready to go ) . However, we can offer a wireless controller as an option too. Since our system uses the OEM valve, any of the valve controllers designed for the stock exhaust will work with our exhaust as well.

Last edited by David@ActiveAutowerke; 11-28-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Definitely like the MPE / VRSF combo more.
      11-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #15
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice review my man !
      11-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:17 AM   #17
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nice!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonTheJeweler View Post
Nice review my man !

Thanks guys! Can't wait for spring time when they're both completely done up head to toe. Both sound amazing. Both are unique and amazing in their own way 🙌👊
Appreciate 0