E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Changed Brake Pads and Flushed System... Now Soft Pedal

11-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Changed Brake Pads and Flushed System... Now Soft Pedal

Today I changed all of the brake pads and flushed the brake system using Motul RBF 600. I had Akebono pads and replaced them with more Akebono pads.

To bleed, I used the pressure method when I would pressurize the reservoir to about 15psi and then crack open the bleeder valves at the calipers and let the fluid come out slowly. I used a turkey baster to remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir first.

While bleeding, the reservoir never emptied, the lowest it got was about 1/3 full. Fluid was always exiting the bleeder valves. Never saw any air bubbles coming out. I put nearly 1L of fluid through the system until it came out clean on all corners.

When the front right caliper was bleeding under pressure I decided to get in the car and pump the brakes 2-3 times to speed up the process... probably not a great idea. But I figured since the system was under pressure that it would be okay. After doing this I continued bleeding this corner using the pressure method and never saw air come out, so I don't think any got in.

I'm thinking the new pads just aren't as grabby and need some time to break in. I only put a few miles on them so far.

If more miles doesn't help then I will likely try to re-bleed and see if I can use INPA to activate the ABS module to help clear bubbles out of it.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Last edited by ferocity02; 11-27-2016 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

I find that new pads and a bleed often take a little time to fully bed in and will feel soft at first.
If you're sure you didn't introduce air into the system, give it a few days to see of the pedal firms up, if not, I would re-bleed.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Those power bleeders often send air into the system. Air bubbels could be seen into the plastic hose that pushes the fluid. Sevirity depends on the bottle possition. Watch this video. Start at 19 minute mark:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

New pads on old rotors? They will need time to bed in. Also air could have been sucked back in caliper when you pumped the brakes
Appreciate 0