E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Can this be done?

11-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
eddy644
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Can this be done?

So i did a engine & tranny swap on my e93 n55 and i was just going to use the ecu off the car i took the engine off but it has a newer style HPFP and marks me the fuel pressure in cold start is to high and i couldn't fine a way around it with a snap on scanner, so i had to use the ecu from the parts car with the key too. My question is can i just get the ecu re-vin to match my original key and car? Or is there any other way?

I really dont want my car to read the wrong miles or the other wrong vin when i plug my obd scanner it reads the other cars vin.

PS: I do own both cars and have their titles just in case someone wants to say something
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy644 View Post
So i did a engine & tranny swap on my e93 n55 and i was just going to use the ecu off the car i took the engine off but it has a newer style HPFP and marks me the fuel pressure in cold start is to high and i couldn't fine a way around it with a snap on scanner, so i had to use the ecu from the parts car with the key too. My question is can i just get the ecu re-vin to match my original key and car? Or is there any other way?

I really dont want my car to read the wrong miles or the other wrong vin when i plug my obd scanner it reads the other cars vin.

PS: I do own both cars and have their titles just in case someone wants to say something
Do both cars share the same type DME? If so, plug your original one up, find the zusb(data & program version), then plug the donor DME up & flash the zusb over.

If your lucky they have the same DME, just a different calibration file for the different pump.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrickland View Post
Quote:

Do both cars share the same type DME? If so, plug your original one up, find the zusb(data & program version), then plug the donor DME up & flash the zusb over.

If your lucky they have the same DME, just a different calibration file for the different pump.
Yes same DME just pumps are different and causes it to idle like crap. I'm new to the whole coding thing with the usb and obd port. I've been using a shop snap on scanner but I'm limited on what a coding computer can do. So I wouldn't know how to flash a DME
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes same DME just pumps are different and causes it to idle like crap. I'm new to the whole coding thing with the usb and obd port. I've been using a shop snap on scanner but I'm limited on what a coding computer can do. So I wouldn't know how to flash a DME
Do you have standard tools(inpa, winkfp etc...) set up? If not, grab a Dcan cable from **************(dot)com & get it set up. If you already are set up, shoot me a PM & I'll get everything working for you.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have standard tools(inpa, winkfp etc...) set up? If not, grab a Dcan cable from **************(dot)com & get it set up. If you already are set up, shoot me a PM & I'll get everything working for you.
Let me order one then, any specific one I should look for?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's only one on the website, the KDCAN cable for $40. The forum may have blocked the address I sent. Try bimmer software. Youknowwhat...exchange youknowwhat for the universal website suffix.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #7
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's only one on the website, the KDCAN cable for $40.
So the eBay ones are a go too?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
It does not work like that,
If you want to pair DME and CAS they should have same ISN,
you can not change ISN with BMW Standard Tools, special tools are needed for that.

Ask around maybe some local techs can do that

I can do it but I'm in NorCal
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
you can not change ISN with BMW Standard Tools, special tools are needed for that.

But can you just re flash the new DME and just put the new vin on it?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post

He has the CAS & key from the other car & the car already starts...just issues with his software running for the wrong type fuel pump.

Flashing won't be an issue...the only issue your going to encounter is the mileage being incorrect if your donor car has more miles on it than the one your trying to get running.

As long as your cluster has higher mileage than the donor cluster, it'll overwrite it.

Also, OP, what's the issue with using your original DME since it already matches your fuel pump?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
He has the CAS & key from the other car & the car already starts...just issues with his software running for the wrong type fuel pump.

Flashing won't be an issue...the only issue your going to encounter is the mileage being incorrect if your donor car has more miles on it than the one your trying to get running.

As long as your cluster has higher mileage than the donor cluster, it'll overwrite it.

Also, OP, what's the issue with using your original DME since it already matches your fuel pump?
donor car miles are 35k and mine is 65k, so as you said it should just over write it.

I tried changing the HPFP but they are different even to the shaft that feeds power to it, the only difference it has 2 sensors on the pump vs just 1. My guess its the only that regulates the fuel press in cold start. So you are saying i would have to copy the command it has for that sensor and just place it on my dme?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

donor car miles are 35k and mine is 65k, so as you said it should just over write it.

I tried changing the HPFP but they are different even to the shaft that feeds power to it, the only difference it has 2 sensors on the pump vs just 1. My guess its the only that regulates the fuel press in cold start. So you are saying i would have to copy the command it has for that sensor and just place it on my dme?
The question is, you kept your original pump, and you have your original DME that was controlling that pump on the car...what issues are you having with using your original DME & your original pump?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The question is, you kept your original pump, and you have your original DME that was controlling that pump on the car...what issues are you having with using your original DME & your original pump?
I swapped engines and it was a year newer didn't realized the pump was different till it was hard to turn on and the scanner pointed me to the HPFP. At this point I wish I would have kept my other engine even tho it had more miles
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
eddy644
Private
Rep

This was the code
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #15
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This was the code
Ok, but what happens if your run the new engine with your original DME?

If your original engine was a N55, were you having issues with the new engine & your original DME?

Or I may be misunderstanding & your saying that these codes are being thrown with the new engine being ran by your original DME?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This was the code
I just re-read your original post & think I may understand a little better. Correct me if im wrong.

The car your trying to get running is set up like-

Engine- Donor
Trans- Donor
Dme- original
Hpfp- original

Is this right? If so, and your throwing those codes...it may be as simple as recalibration your injectors. Your DME currently has the values of the injectors of your old engine stored, you may just need to enter the values of the injectors from the donor engine.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This was the code
I just re-read your original post & think I may understand a little better. Correct me if im wrong.

Engine- Donor
Trans- Donor
Dme- original
Hpfp- original

Is this right? If so, and your throwing those codes...it may be as simple as recalibration your injectors. Your DME currently has the values of the injectors of your old engine stored, you may just need to enter the values of the injectors from the donor engine.
Yes to all but the HPFP is from the donor I can't change it without taking off the main shaft that feeds it power.

I did recode the injectors from the donor to the original DME but did nothing
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #18
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was the code

Engine- Donor
Trans- Donor
Dme- original
Hpfp- original

Yes to all but the HPFP is from the donor I can't change it without taking off the main shaft that feeds it power.

Ahh got it. In that case, let's just flash the DME & EKP module to the software version that the donor is using & you should be good to go.

Did you order the cable?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #19
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was the code

Engine- Donor
Trans- Donor
Dme- original
Hpfp- original

Ahh got it. In that case, let's just flash the DME & EKP module to the software version that the donor is using & you should be good to go.

Did you order the cable?
Yes I did, https://www.ebay.com/itm/122168259363
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #20
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was the code

Engine- Donor
Trans- Donor
Dme- original
Hpfp- original

Did you order the cable?
Ok. When it gets in, just let me know. We'll get your software set up & get your going.

Does the donor car turn on(obviously not crank), we'll need it in position 2 so I can pull the software versions.

If it doesn't, there's other ways to get them, just may be a pain & require research.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #21
eddy644
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was the code

Engine- Donor
Trans- Donor
Dme- original
Hpfp- original

Did you order the cable?
Ok. When it gets in, just let me know. We'll get your software set up & get your going.

Does the donor car turn on(obviously not crank), we'll need it in position 2 so I can pull the software versions.

If it doesn't, there's other ways to get them, just may be a pain & require research.
Both DME will turn the car on, donor one just makes it run so smooth from a cold start
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #22
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Go it, we're golden. We'll plug your donor DME up, pull the software version, then flash that SW to your original DME.
Appreciate 1