F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Replaced BMW OEM TPMS with Honda TPMS
proTUNING Freaks

12-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
hummali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Replaced BMW OEM TPMS with Honda TPMS

I have after market rims on my 2013 F30 BMW. Bought the car used. Had tires replaced. soon after one of my TPMS sensors stopped transmitting - it needs to be replaced. However, I come to find out the TPMS already on the wheels are not OEM or anywhere near.

---F30 chassis uses a 433MHz sensor with OE#36106798872

---My wheels came with 315MHz sensor #218898-103.

A google search will show these to be OEM Honda/KIA TPMS. The previous owner had replaced the TPMS with these cheap sensors and programmed them in. So I have 2 options:

1) replace all 4 TPMS with BMW OE sensors. The dealer suggests this route as they refuse to put on 315MHz TPMS. obviously, that is crazy expensive and I feel no need for it if the others have been working.

2) Replace the 1 with 315MHz Honda sensor, that was already on it and are programmed on the car. My only issue with this route is, will I still need to program the replacement or will it be a pre-programmed plug and play. I think it will be the later. But i cannot find enough detail on the internet to be certain. I've called a few local shops, most have denied to put on TPMS that i do not buy from them. And so they suggest I buy their TPMS which is not the 315MHz one and i run into the same problem where solution 1 is the only solution. Other shops don't have a problem taking $30 or so and replacing the sensor with whatever i get them. But they do not want to and some CANNOT program the sensor if the need be. So if i am to go this route, i need to make sure the replacement Honda 315MHz sensor will be a plug and play and will not need to be programmed.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Schrader manufacturers TPMS sensors for many manufacturers. The newer generation sensors support multiple frequencies since it's not economical to produce sensors for each individual vehicle.

I suspect the previous owner may have purchased a new sensor which supports more than one frequency.

Take a look at ...

https://www.amazon.com/Schrader-3350...a+tpms+315+mhz

The product description mentions a programming tool which allow the frequency to be selected.
Appreciate 0