F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hand brake Squeek
Extreme Powerhouse

12-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Hand brake Squeek

Hello

i have noticed this a lot lately but i jump in the car put it in gear and release the hand brake but as i pull off i am getting a mighty squeek. doesnt last long 10 meters maybe but its annoying. its repeatable as well almost everytime although it appears the car has to roll up on the handbrake to make it do it.

i.e to force it put it in gear foot off the brake so it tries to creep it will stop on handbrake then release it and it squeeks

anyone else getting this or had this?

also do i really need to use the hand brake i have auto and can leave it in P but didnt know if this was acceptable or will put more stress on the transmission

cheers
lee

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Are you sure it's the parking brake ? Could be a sticky pad in the calipers. I'd pull the handbrake on-off a few times as you're driving at slow speeds and see if that frees it up. Also try a few left foot braking dabs on the pedal while driving to see if you can tell where it's coming from.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Smee
Colonel
Rep

Well it one or the other only way to rule handbrake out I guess is not use it and leave it in Park but will that cause damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
Anamorphic
Banned
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
Hello

i have noticed this a lot lately but i jump in the car put it in gear and release the hand brake but as i pull off i am getting a mighty squeek. doesnt last long 10 meters maybe but its annoying. its repeatable as well almost everytime although it appears the car has to roll up on the handbrake to make it do it.

i.e to force it put it in gear foot off the brake so it tries to creep it will stop on handbrake then release it and it squeeks

anyone else getting this or had this?

also do i really need to use the hand brake i have auto and can leave it in P but didnt know if this was acceptable or will put more stress on the transmission

cheers
lee
Yes I get this with my m-sport brakes. As you say, squeaks for a few meters after releasing. Hacked me off so much that i mostly park the car in gear (manual) and don't use the hand brake, no more squeaks.

Last edited by Anamorphic; 12-10-2016 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #5
Smee
Colonel
Rep

so a single have auto can I just leave it in Park and not use hand brake?

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Anamorphic
Banned
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

When I've previously had auto box cars I've used park without the handbrake. I still occasionally used the handbrake to ensure the mechanism doesn't seize up or if I'm parked on a slope I still use the handbrake. I know leaving in gear/park can put some strain on the transmission but it's minimal and I've never found it to cause an issue.
Appreciate 0