BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
1200 mile service question

I know there have been tons of threads on this topic, but I did a and didn't see any that pertain to this:

I got a call from my BMW dealer today telling my they received a teleservices message from my car indicating it is ready for the 1200 mile service, but I only have 700 miles, and the car is telling me I have 600 more miles to go. I'm wondering if the teleservices message was based on time rather than mileage (I have had the car for exactly 4 weeks now). Should I have the service done now, or wait until I reach 1200-1300 miles?

The service cocnsist of:
standard service
oil service
intake silencer (what the heck is that?)
service run-in check
manual transmission drive unit
micro filter (for the A/C?)

By the way, the parts department told me the warehouse has plenty of the M3 oil filters, so the backorder problem shouldn't be an issue now.
      04-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

You can wait till 1200 if you want same thing happend to me car called in with 700 miles on it for service but i waited to take it in. No worries as long as your not beating on it you should be fine. The intake silencer is a fancy name for your intake air filter. They should have the filters by now but my dealer didnt have the "intake silencer" in stock so i am still waiting on that it is on back order. I am fully through the break in now and all i can say is wow this thing can rev forever its the cats ass. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Thanks for your help! I think I'll wait until my car hits 1200 miles and then take it in for service.
      04-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
I know there have been tons of threads on this topic, but I did a and didn't see any that pertain to this:

I got a call from my BMW dealer today telling my they received a teleservices message from my car indicating it is ready for the 1200 mile service, but I only have 700 miles, and the car is telling me I have 600 more miles to go. I'm wondering if the teleservices message was based on time rather than mileage (I have had the car for exactly 4 weeks now). Should I have the service done now, or wait until I reach 1200-1300 miles?

The service cocnsist of:
standard service
oil service
intake silencer (what the heck is that?)
service run-in check
manual transmission drive unit
micro filter (for the A/C?)

By the way, the parts department told me the warehouse has plenty of the M3 oil filters, so the backorder problem shouldn't be an issue now.
The EXACT same thing happened to me AT 710, and I took it in! I talked to the mechanic at the dealership AND I also spoke with BMW NA and they both said that each car is different and that some services on some cars are needed earlier than others. This 1200 mile number is only an estimate as to when your car should be serviced. If it's asking for it now, I'd say take it in. It's your car and ultimately it's your decision, but I myself didn't want to risk any damage to the engine. Keep in mind....IT'S UNDER FULL WARRANTY!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MWorld View Post
The EXACT same thing happened to me AT 710, and I took it in! I talked to the mechanic at the dealership AND I also spoke with BMW NA and they both said that each car is different and that some services on some cars are needed earlier than others. This 1200 mile number is only an estimate as to when your car should be serviced. If it's asking for it now, I'd say take it in. It's your car and ultimately it's your decision, but I myself didn't want to risk any damage to the engine. Keep in mind....IT'S UNDER FULL WARRANTY!
Good points...I called my Service Dept, and they said I should wait until the car tells me when to bring it in for service, not the teleservice. He said the car's info should be the determining factor when to have it serviced, not a teleservice phone call.
      04-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good points...I called my Service Dept, and they said I should wait until the car tells me when to bring it in for service, not the teleservice. He said the car's info should be the determining factor when to have it serviced, not a teleservice phone call.
The teleservice message is a message that your car sent to your dealership. Wouldn't this be considered "the car's info" to your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Why do they change the air filer only after 1200 miles??
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Why do they change the air filer only after 1200 miles??
Not completely sure. I know they use a "break-in" oil before your first service, so maybe this has something to do with it. I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable on M3 engines will jump on your question in time.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
The teleservice message is a message that your car sent to your dealership. Wouldn't this be considered "the car's info" to your dealer?
Possibly, but the iDrive system is telling me I have 600 miles until my 1200 mile service. I think the teleservice might be "preprogrammed", and not based on actual usage and mileage. Just my opinion though, I don't have any facts to base that on.
      04-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Possibly, but the iDrive system is telling me I have 600 miles until my 1200 mile service. I think the teleservice might be "preprogrammed", and not based on actual usage and mileage. Just my opinion though, I don't have any facts to base that on.
New info. Dude...this is why I f'in hate dealerships. They all have something different to say. So I called 2 local dealserships outside of my own and I got 2 different answers. I became worried as to whether I took mine in too soon, so I said what the hell. One dealer said I did the right thing in taking it in and that BMW wouldn't have serviced my car so soon if it really didn't need it becuase it would be costing them more money to do so. The other dealership I called said that I COULD have waited and personally would have had me wait until about 1100-1200, but by taking it in sooner I have done no harm to the engine because every M3 engine IS different. He also said that they were not "allowed" to do service on an M3 earlier than 1100-1200 because BMW would not reimburse them, which goes to show how dealerships are only really concerned about themselves. So I guess my service came out of my dealerships pocket??? Either way, the only thing I was concerned about is if it did any harm to my engine by taking it in a bit early, and he said NO. Different opinions from different dealerships doesn't make our live easier. Kinda annoying if you ask me. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
New info. Dude...this is why I f'in hate dealerships. They all have something different to say. So I called 2 local dealserships outside of my own and I got 2 different answers. I became worried as to whether I took mine in too soon, so I said what the hell. One dealer said I did the right thing in taking it in and that BMW wouldn't have serviced my car so soon if it really didn't need it becuase it would be costing them more money to do so. The other dealership I called said that I COULD have waited and personally would have had me wait until about 1100-1200, but by taking it in sooner I have done no harm to the engine because every M3 engine IS different. He also said that they were not "allowed" to do service on an M3 earlier than 1100-1200 because BMW would not reimburse them, which goes to show how dealerships are only really concerned about themselves. So I guess my service came out of my dealerships pocket??? Either way, the only thing I was concerned about is if it did any harm to my engine by taking it in a bit early, and he said NO. Different opinions from different dealerships doesn't make our live easier. Kinda annoying if you ask me. Hope this helps.
Thanks, yes, your info helps. My dealer told me the exact same thing that is in bold typeface above. He said they weren't allowed to do the service BEFORE the iDrive system indicated it upon startup of the M3 (it gives you a service message in the odometer section). Funny how different dealers tell you different things...agreed, very annoying!
      04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, yes, your info helps. My dealer told me the exact same thing that is in bold typeface above. He said they weren't allowed to do the service BEFORE the iDrive system indicated it upon startup of the M3 (it gives you a service message in the odometer section). Funny how different dealers tell you different things...agreed, very annoying!
Just MY thinking.... What concerned me was that not every M3 has sent this teleservice message to all M3 owners. In other words, this does not seem to be a standard procedure done by all M3's. If what we experieced was normal, don't you think every M3 out there would get this teleservice message? I've spoken to a lot of guys, and they said the only indication they got to service their engine was when an actual service light came on at around 1200. So maybe your car actually does need to be serviced, but becuase of dealer regulations to save them money, they are telling you to wait until 1200. Some dealers are better with, and care about their customers more than others. I hope they are not telling you to wait just so they can save a few bucks. If BMW dealerships are not "allowed" to service before 1200, then why did mine do it? Mind you, I did buy mine through a friend. Maybe he was looking out for me. Who knows? The only reason they say they are not allowed to service before 1200 is for money reasons in terms of them being being reimbursed by BMW. Just something to think about.

Last edited by MWorldorder; 04-11-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Just MY thinking.... What concerned me was that not every M3 has sent this teleservice message to all M3 owners. In other words, this does not seem to be a standard procedure done by all M3's. If what we experieced was normal, don't you think every M3 out there would get this teleservice message? I've spoken to a lot of guys, and they said the only indication they got to service their engine was when an actual service light came on at around 1200. So maybe your car actually does need to be serviced, but becuase of dealer regulations to save them money, they are telling you to wait until 1200. Some dealers are better with, and care about their customers more than others. I hope they are not telling you to wait just so they can save a few bucks. If BMW dealerships are not "allowed" to service before 1200, then why did mine do it? Mind you, I did buy mine through a friend. Maybe he was looking out for me. Who knows? The only reason they say they are not allowed to service before 1200 is for money reasons in terms of them being being reimbursed by BMW. Just something to think about.

Hmmm, you make a very good point. But I'm going to wait until the maintenance system (message on the dash) in the M3 tells me to have it serviced. I trust the system in the car more than a teleservice message that may or may not have been transmitted.
      04-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
///MWorld, I did some more research and checked the System Info on the iDrive. My Oil Change warning has a yellow triangle and it says I have 600 miles left before service is required. The teleservice message my BMW Center received had to do with this oil service. I'm going to wait for the 600 miles to go in for service.
      04-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
///MWorld, I did some more research and checked the System Info on the iDrive. My Oil Change warning has a yellow triangle and it says I have 600 miles left before service is required. The teleservice message my BMW Center received had to do with this oil service. I'm going to wait for the 600 miles to go in for service.
Cool. I'm sure everything will be fine. Again, I just wish dealerships were a bit more consistent with customers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
      04-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

So i'm going to have my 1200 mile service done out of area (in LA) this friday. The dealership doesn't have the micro filter in stock and says they can't order it until I get down there.

Unfortunately I can't stick around for 4 business days to have them install it.

Should i have them just ship it to me and make it a DIY or should I wait for the micro filter warning to come on and take it in?

NM : Just ready GregW's post.

Last edited by fmquadri; 04-22-2008 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: SEARCHED and Read Greg's Post
Appreciate 0