BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Want a German or Austrian built G30 ?

01-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Want a German or Austrian built G30 ?

Since the 3 Series factory move to Mexico is a hot topic on that forum I was wondering what members here though about the 5 Series.

The G30 5 Series will be built in both Dingolfing Germany and by Magna Steyr in Graz Austria for BMW to keep up with demand.

Do you mind where your car comes from ?
      01-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Since the 3 Series factory move to Mexico is a hot topic on that forum I was wondering what members here though about the 5 Series.

The G30 5 Series will be built in both Dingolfing Germany and by Magna Steyr in Graz Austria for BMW to keep up with demand.

Do you mind where your car comes from ?
I prefer mine close (UK) so DE/AT are fine... less chance of transit delay and damage...

Are they still making them at Rosslyn near Joeys and Pretoria?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
I prefer mine close (UK) so DE/AT are fine... less chance of transit delay and damage...

Are they still making them at Rosslyn near Joeys and Pretoria?
We make the 3 Series here for most RHD markets other than the ones around and including the UK. (So Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore etc etc)

We also make LHD 3 Series for the USA and Canada. And some for Japan, which interestingly enough get both LHD and RHD models (LHD seen as a status symbol)

The 3 Series production will move to Mexico with the new model and SA will switch to building the next X3 for world markets
      01-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

OK cool, I thought so about the 3.. Few of my friends had them there.. I am from that neck if the woods
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I tell the dealer I want a car from Germany. If that can't happen I'm not interested in purchasing it. My 5 series and M3 both came from Germany and were built by Hans.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #6
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Remember that also Porsches are built elsewhere for example. The first Boxster 986 wasn't built in Stuttgart, and also the Cayenne was (is) built in part in eastern europe.....

But I agree with you. I've Always had MINIs and BMWs built in Oxford or Germany, and I pretend to have them built there for the future, even if it's impossibile for the dealer to choose where for me, as he told me when I made the question of this topic.....

We just have to Hope that our new cars will be built where we want them to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Austria remind me of the BMW produced by Karman a complete disaster in comparison to the in house build cars, I hope the existing setup is better, the 1st X3 was bugged with problems until apparently moved to the US for the 2nd generation, well apparently since my wife 2011 X3 one of the 1st produced went back to the dealer 1000’s times mainly down to quality fittings and crap parts. I strongly hope it was down to 1st cars in new model syndrome rather the location outside Germany, we currently waiting for new X5 also build in the US, they come across solid as you expect. My 2011 F10 is solid and you certainly feel the quality difference in comparison to the X3 same year US made.
So yes I do believe the German built cars are higher standard than other locations until proven otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
We make the 3 Series here for most RHD markets other than the ones around and including the UK. (So Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore etc etc)

We also make LHD 3 Series for the USA and Canada. And some for Japan, which interestingly enough get both LHD and RHD models (LHD seen as a status symbol)

The 3 Series production will move to Mexico with the new model and SA will switch to building the next X3 for world markets
These plans will likely change. Because 35% tariff. Made in America for America.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
These plans will likely change. Because 35% tariff. Made in America for America.
lol BMW just reconfirmed their commitment to the Mexico plant. Let me know when that tariff comes around.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Well China already build their own BMW's

Even their own Airbus aircraft
      01-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
lol BMW just reconfirmed their commitment to the Mexico plant. Let me know when that tariff comes around.
They can build a plant in Mexico all they want, as long as they're not planning on selling those Mexican 3 series cars in US withought some sort of increased investment in So Carolina. Also, quite a few BMW customers specifically requested their F3x cars be built in Germany and not SoA. So, while there's now a prospect of Mexican BMW, hopefully there will still be a German-built 3 series option.

Last edited by PawnStar; 01-19-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
They can build a plant in Mexico all they want, as long as they're not planning on selling those Mexican 3 series cars in US withought some sort of increased investment in So Carolina. Also, quite a few BMW customers specifically requested their F3x cars be built in Germany and not SoA. So, while there's now a prospect of Mexican BMW, hopefully there will still be a German-built 3 series option.
Its being built specifically for US/Canada 3 Series
It will deliver a large portion of US 3 Series.

South Carolina is receiving a $1Billion upgrade to produce the new X7
Work started months ago
      01-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its being built specifically for US/Canada 3 Series
It will deliver a large portion of US 3 Series.

South Carolina is receiving a $1Billion upgrade to produce the new X7
Work started months ago
So there will be a German-built 3 series option for US?

Good to hear about the $billion for So Carolina. Will create more jobs.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They've already increased investment in SC in accordance with the X7 which was announced before the election season even started. They're absolutely going to sell those 3 series in the US without some imaginary tariff that will never pass congress.

The fact you're talking about it without having even understand their announced investments from over a year ago is indicates unfortunate ignorance on the issue. Like I said, feel free to quote me when that tariff comes around. If you're that concerned about buying cars made in the US then buy an accord or camry instead of a BMW.

Last edited by tallshortguy; 01-19-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
So there will be a German-built 3 series option for US?

Good to hear about the $billion for So Carolina. Will create more jobs.
Yes, just like currently there will be 3 3Series factories making US bound cars

But instead of Munich,Regensburg, Rosslyn South Africa it will be Munich, Regensburg, Mexico

South Africa is switching to producing the next X3
      01-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
They've already increased investment in SC in accordance with the X7 which was announced before the election season even started. They're absolutely going to sell those 3 series in the US without some imaginary tariff that will never pass congress.

The fact you're talking about it without having even understand their announced investments from over a year ago is indicates unfortunate ignorance on the issue. Like I said, feel free to quote me when that tariff comes around. If you're that concerned about buying cars made in the US then buy an accord or camry instead of a BMW.
There shouldn't be any tariffs on a German manufacturer building cars for US market elsewhere. US consumers are happy to have them offer their goods here. Especially considering that BMW AG has had significant investments in US for years and investments continue.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #17
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

But instead of Munich,Regensburg, Rosslyn South Africa it will be Munich, Regensburg, Mexico

Thanks for the clarification. I, for one, will want to have Made in Germany stamp on my BMW instead of Made in Mexico. Not that there's anything wrong with a BMW Made in Mexico, Mexico knows a thing or two about Corona rings.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There shouldn't be any tariffs on a German manufacturer building cars for US market elsewhere. US consumers are happy to have them offer their goods here. Especially considering that BMW AG has had significant investments in US for years and investments continue.
You literally said their Mexico manufacturing plans will change because of a tariff. Are you now admitting that won't happen and we will be receiving normally taxed Mexican-made 3 series here in the US?

Last edited by tallshortguy; 01-20-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #19
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Trust me... you can tell the dealer that you want your car to come out of GERMANY or you will not buy it, and watch how quickly you get what you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:

From what I've been told by some German colleagues in Bavaria is that Regensburg will cease building the 3er and only Mexico will build NA bound 3ers with Regensburg overflow production being channeled through Mexico. Munich will then be the sole 3er Euro plant for the Euro markets.

Something like what Daimler did with the C Class. Alabama C Classes are for NA...South Africa is mostly for RHD and Asian markets...Bremen is for Europe. Sindelfingen ceased C Class operations so now Bremen is the only C Class Euro plant.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
Remember that also Porsches are built elsewhere for example. The first Boxster 986 wasn't built in Stuttgart, and also the Cayenne was (is) built in part in eastern europe.....

But I agree with you. I've Always had MINIs and BMWs built in Oxford or Germany, and I pretend to have them built there for the future, even if it's impossibile for the dealer to choose where for me, as he told me when I made the question of this topic.....

We just have to Hope that our new cars will be built where we want them to be.
The Cayenne body is built in Slovakia, but it is assembled in Leipzig.

Also you do know that more than likely your engine will be built in Austria, noting wrong with that IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
From what I've been told by some German colleagues in Bavaria is that Regensburg will cease building the 3er and only Mexico will build NA bound 3ers with Regensburg overflow production being channeled through Mexico. Munich will then be the sole 3er Euro plant for the Euro markets.
Mexico is going to have to be huge, since they are taking over South Africa's 3 Series production (SA switching to X3) and now possibly Regensburg production aswell ?

Have also heard a lot of talk of the GT or 4 Series moving to Mexico

So far we have been told Germany will be supplying our local market with 3 Series.
I would think it would be the same for certain other markets that used to be supplied by South Africa, so the amount of cars to be built in Germany will stay high