E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Split Second Turbo Tuner (SSTT) Install

04-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

DIY: Split Second Turbo Tuner (SSTT) Install

Open up your box, take out the turbo tuner....read threw the instructions aswell. (Thanks to RAILGUNNER for the pictures aswell)

heres the unit itself

SLEEP MODE

Before you unplug anything u have to make a decision and choose one of these steps to put the car into sleep mode, i personally like to DISCONNECT the battery for faster and better adapting, but here are the other ways.

1.)if your car is cold and you havent driven it in a long time open the door, pop the hood, close and lock the doors, wait 10 minutes for the ECU to go to sleep.

2.)if ur car is hot, or you came back from a drive, open ur door, pop your hood, close your door and wait 30 minutes or so.

THE BEST WAY IMO:
3.)if u cant wait and your car is hot, disconnect the battery and then proceed with the install. (your ecu will be sleeping with the battery disconnected)
just go to the trunk, pull off the right side panel, unscrew the 10MM(i think) nut at the negative terminal, wiggle and pull up the terminal.

*** For XI models, when disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, at first start up you might get a 4x4 and DSC/DTC symobl come up, dont worry let it idle or just drive around for a minute, it goes away. the car re-calibrates its system and re-learns yourdriving style and the ECU re-adapts.*

all these steps will put the ecu in sleep mode and ready for installation.

Now:
start off by by finding the TMAP sensor.. it is behind the airbox. feel around and put a flash light in there to see and get a feel for the sensor and the clip/tab..

now that u can see and feel the sensor, its time to unplug the TMAP wire from the TMAP sensor. u can use a whole bunch of items to lift the tab up and off of the wire groove.
some use a small screwdrivers, i used a penny. but be careful, u dont need alot of pulling, dont break the tab off of the sensor!!..****** there is a rubber seal on the TMAP plug and it makes it snug into the sensor, so the tab has to come up a little just pull harder on the Plug itself.

i found it easiest, while i was pulling the tab up with one hand with the penny, my friend reached in and pulled the wire out.. theres little room to work with so a extra hand from a friend helps alot.

you can see clearly where the Turbo Tuner plugs into. the smaller end connnects into the TMAP sensor as shown, and the larger (LONGER) end, the TMAP wire you disconnected earlier gets inserted into the SSTT. in between basically.

finsihed view, but u can push the Turbo Tuner in more and hide it.

enjoy have fun with the extra power... 40+whp and 50+wftlb
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
BCoBaby
BCo
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
That thing is awesome man, you cant go wrong with it. Im getting one very shortly, how do you like yours?

AW E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Hanjob
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future 335i Sedan

Does this interfere with the DINAN reflash at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

BcoBaby, i like mine very much.

you should not EVER mix two different tunes together.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

For future Reference when removing the SSTT or Turbo Tuner,

you have to put your car back into SLEEP MODE....as explained during the installation.

once the car is in sleep mode,it is basically the same steps, but you will need to unplug the SSTT from the TMAP sensor and you have to unplug the other side of the SSTT in which the TMAP wire is connected to. once the SSTT is removed, insert the TMAP wire back into the TMAP sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
wilkoal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Msport

Question about sleep mode:
per suggested mode 1 with cars with oem alarm once door is closed and locked this activate the alarm and the open hood will trigger the alarm I guess. Am I right?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
wilkoal
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoal View Post
Question about sleep mode:
per suggested mode 1 with cars with oem alarm once door is closed and locked this activate the alarm ...opening hood will trigger the alarm I guess. Am I right?
bump...anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoal View Post
bump...anyone?
Open doors/snap hood all the way.. don't just leave it open but still latched...... lock doors/20 mins............ come back and work...... should be fine!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
wilkoal
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
Open doors/snap hood all the way.. don't just leave it open but still latched...... lock doors/20 mins............ come back and work...... should be fine!!!
Thank you GAME
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
kwakr738
e21 respect
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
1.)if your car is cold and you havent driven it in a long time open the door, pop the hood, close and lock the doors, wait 10 minutes for the ECU to go to sleep.

Will the above apply to the xi as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I am amazed you could even take photos as there is almost not enough room to get even one arm to reach the TMAP sensor. Additional instructions from manufacturer can be helpful also. They have better photos of TMAP sensor and wires :

http://www.splitsec.com/products/ins...erInstRevB.pdf

I recommend disconnecting the batteries as a better option to put ECU to sleep for this DYI also. It is quite easy to reach in the trunk area.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
mschu19
Got Turbos?
Rep
Drives: 335 E92

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
How long does install take?? Does it remove the limiter?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #13
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

^takes maybe 10secs w/ a penny, no does not remove limiter...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

pretty easy really.

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
dmbigs
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

i used a dime, i couldnt get the usb method to work, but the sime popped the clip open easily.
      09-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
austintexasathlete
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi

2008 BMW 535xi wagon

I just wanted to thank the author for the pictures as this REALLY helped a lot. I'm not a mechanic and had never done a modification on any of my cars before. The pics were a lifesaver. I'll pass along my experience so far:

I actually purchased the Turbo Tuner as well as the Cold Air intake from Jeff at Eurobahn Performance a few weeks back. The products were backordered so it took a bit to get them in stock and shipped out. After they arrived, I started the install process. It took me just under 2 hours to install both products since I went very slow and methodical as this was my first time to even peek under the hood of my 535xi, let alone install anything. I opted to disconnect the battery before doing the install to make sure I didn't goof anything up.

My first impression on driving is that there is quite a noticeable difference in horsepower and acceleration. The car can pull at all speeds. No turbo lags or downshifting here. Quite nice.

I did however start getting an error code "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power". This came on twice when I was putting the car thru some hard accelerations. When I turned the car off/on, the error code went away each time.

I emailed Jeff at Eurobahn and he had this response:

"Most likely this is being caused by the vehicle not having adapted yet to the new unit. I recommend disconnecting the negative battery terminal on the car and letting it sit for an hour. Then reconnect it and drive the car around normally for a few miles. Then progressively get more aggressive with your driving. This will cause the vehicle to adapt at an appropriate level of performance. WE have not much in the way of trouble with the units at all. However yours is the first I can remember of a xi vehicle with both the intake kit and the Turbo Tuner. But I doubt that either product is going to be a problem. I am sure we will get it sorted. Make sure you are running the best gas available in your area."

I took Jeff's advice and disconnected the battery. I'm guessing (hoping) that this will fix the problem. I also think that the last tank of gas I put in the car was lower octane, so I'll opt for high octane next time.

The upgrades have been really fun so far and have breathed new life into the engine. I'm guessing that the combination of the cold air intake and the Twin Turbo together probably added about 70hp all together.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

Hi everyone. I have a quick question about going into "Sleep Mode". I opted to take the easier route and just locked the doors, kept the hood open, and I had dinner while I was waiting so it was more than 30 minutes (my engine was warm at the time). I then went and proceeded with the install.

Now, I noticed afterwards that the little amber light next to my shifter(steptronic) was still lit up. Does that indicate that my ECU never went into sleep mode? The SSTT is in my car, I drove it today but not aggressively due to traffic. I do feel a difference but I also installed a new intake. I want to make sure that this chip is working.

I just got the car on Saturday, my previous car was an 04 325xi sedan and this car is so much faster. Since it's so soon I don't have a good feel on the power of the car. Should I disconnect the battery? Keep in mind that the car also sat over night with no disruptions for a good 5 hours while I slept.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKWiD335xi View Post
Hi everyone. I have a quick question about going into "Sleep Mode". I opted to take the easier route and just locked the doors, kept the hood open, and I had dinner while I was waiting so it was more than 30 minutes (my engine was warm at the time). I then went and proceeded with the install.

Now, I noticed afterwards that the little amber light next to my shifter(steptronic) was still lit up. Does that indicate that my ECU never went into sleep mode? The SSTT is in my car, I drove it today but not aggressively due to traffic. I do feel a difference but I also installed a new intake. I want to make sure that this chip is working.

I just got the car on Saturday, my previous car was an 04 325xi sedan and this car is so much faster. Since it's so soon I don't have a good feel on the power of the car. Should I disconnect the battery? Keep in mind that the car also sat over night with no disruptions for a good 5 hours while I slept.

Thanks.
If you think something is up, just disconnect the battery for a few mins, reinstall the SSTT, and go out and do some WOT runs, it'll adapt just fine after that!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #19
ehssan_alkhiyami
I don't drive fast , i fly very low
Germany
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 , F31 320D Xdrive

how much this thing cost these days guys ???
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
yeefoo335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

600 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
yeefoo335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

So i installed my SSTT and right when i start up the car i get an 'engine malfunction' code so i disconnected the battery (or atleast i thought i did) then start it up about a half hour later only to find that as well as the engine malfunction code there was also a 'service engine soon' code.... What the hell went wrong? I thought this is a plug and play upgrade. I am certain i installed it correctly and yes it is in the TMAP sensor...im clueless...PLEASE everyone who has a turbo tuner please help! Oh yea btw when i test drove the car after installation the car felt MUCH slower than before... im thinking i didnt properly disconnect the battery although i DID lock the doors and wait 30+ mins...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #22
power10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

has anyone had issues with the SSTT on 08 335xi with the recent ECU softwares?

Looking to get it but not sure if the new ECU software picks up the tuner.
Appreciate 0