F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Noisy brakes?
Studio RSR

01-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Daviesc34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 gt f34

Noisy brakes?

Hi as ive never owned Bmw before was just wondering about the noise from ny msport brakes. At low speeds I seem to get a noise in the cabin like a dull rubbing noise. Its not a squeaky brake. Is this normal for sports brakes?
I've got a 335d xdrive msport+ package .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:29 AM   #2
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Do you hear it constantly? I mean is it continous at low speeds even if you aren't using the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Daviesc34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 gt f34

Its not continuous only when brakes are applied. I thought salt at this time of year but have given wheels and breaks thorough clean twice no change. Is this simply normal or should there be no noise at all?
Any advice great fully received.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviesc34 View Post
Its not continuous only when brakes are applied. I thought salt at this time of year but have given wheels and breaks thorough clean twice no change. Is this simply normal or should there be no noise at all?
Any advice great fully received.
If your gt was brand new there might be some break in period ( few hundred km in the city ) for the brakes also till they adjust. My brakes were a bit noisy at the start and less effective till the first 200 km or so.

If you check your discs can you find any unusual abrasion, anything different than the other discs?

Emergency braking after cold start can cause damage to your pads in winter, if there is a situation when they cant warm up before the high stress. The wear of the pads can be uneven then.
This problem can solve itself with time, or it can damage the brake disc in long term - but that's the most extreme situation.

If you have something between the discs and the brake pads then the wheels and the pads should be removed and cleaned properly with chemicals applied. I don't have any bad experience with road salt so I guess that should not be the problem.

I have some "humming" noise too at low speeds, but that's continous - first I thought that it has something to do with the regenerative braking but it was something else - 17" runflat winter tires for the win...

Have you contacted your dealer about this?

V 2.0: It's possible that you are just not used to the car yet

Last edited by Skald; 01-24-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0