BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Stoptech Trophy Brake Kit Fitment

01-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
swebster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Stoptech Trophy Brake Kit Fitment

Has anyone put on the StopTech Trophy Brake kit 380 MM rotors on their car yet? I am wondering if the fitment will work with 18x 9.5" APEX EC-7 wheels with a +35 offset. Want to make sure they clear the wheels....

By the way already fried the brakes in 3 hard track days. Pads exceeded MOT and now are contacting the rotor inconsistently. Serious vibration and braking issues. Took it to the dealer and they said that the brakes and pads are NOT covered under warranty and that the car had been driven at levels beyond normal wear and tear.....haha

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster View Post
Has anyone put on the StopTech Trophy Brake kit 380 MM rotors on their car yet? I am wondering if the fitment will work with 18x 9.5" APEX EC-7 wheels with a +35 offset. Want to make sure they clear the wheels....

By the way already fried the brakes in 3 hard track days. Pads exceeded MOT and now are contacting the rotor inconsistently. Serious vibration and braking issues. Took it to the dealer and they said that the brakes and pads are NOT covered under warranty and that the car had been driven at levels beyond normal wear and tear.....haha

Thanks,
Stock pads I assume?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I used the stoptech kit on my previous car and it also failed after about 15 track days. Stoptech would not warranty it because of "track use." That blew me away, as that is what they market their kits for.

This is the only BBK I would consider. It is in a totally different league than anything Stoptech makes, and I have a set on order. I absolutely can't wait to get it.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1264385
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Agreed. I have the AP fronts, and they are amazing even without the matching rears. I'm using DSUno pads.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

As mentioned, you get a whole lot more for your money with one of our Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits than you do with an ST Trophy Kit. Their kit uses reworked street parts, whereas our kit uses the most cutting-edge racing designs.

Our CP9660/372mm kit clears the following wheels without a spacer:
OEM 19"
Apex EC7 18x9.5 +22
Apex EC7 18x10 +33
BC Forged RS43 Monobloc 18x10 +15
BC Forged RS43 Monobloc 18x10 +25
Wheel fitment template is here.

Our CP9668/372mm kit with a 25mm thick pad clears the following without a spacer:
Apex EC7 18x9.5 +22
Apex EC7 18x10 +33
BC Forged RS43 Monobloc 18x10 +15
BC Forged RS43 Monobloc 18x10 +25
Wheel fitment template is here.

Our matching rear kit will feature a new four piston rear Radi-CAL on a 365x30mm, 72 vane AP Racing J Hook Disc.

With our kit you're getting the same design of parts that are being run this weekend at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, for the price of our competitors' road car parts. Just a few of the cars running AP Racing Radi-CAL's this weekend include:

BMW M6 GT3
Porsche 911 RSR
Corvette C7.R
Lexus RC F GT3

You can have essentially the same package on your car.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
swebster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the highly aggressive sales pitch on the AP racing kit. Looks nice but I'm going to stick with Stop Tech. They also have quite a legacy with regards to Pro racing as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
swebster
Enlisted Member
Rep

None of these responses answer my question which is has anyone fitted a stoptech trophy kit on a BMW M2? I am not asking about any other kits at this time or need recommendation from a sponsor for another kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
None of these responses answer my question which is has anyone fitted a stoptech trophy kit on a BMW M2? I am not asking about any other kits at this time or need recommendation from a sponsor for another kit.
I have not seen a Trophy kit here because they are kind of a weird niche - a street caliper that looks like a track caliper. I do believe several people have fitted them on the E92 M3.

Generally there are two markets for a BBK kit - street or track.

The street crowd chooses painted calipers from companies like Brembo, AP Racing, and Stoptech. They look fantastic and are usually a slight upgrade from OEM braking systems. These kits have street focused features like dust boots, drilled rotors, aluminum pistons.

For the track crowd, the AP Racing Radical kits based on the CP9660 and CP9668 caliper have kind of locked up the market. These kits may not look as cool as the street kits, but they perform far superior on track with features like anodized finishes, anti-knockback springs, stainless steel vented pistons, and slotted/j hook rotors.

The reason you don't see the Stoptech Trophy kit is because it is a weird mix of track looks with the anodized finish, but street performance with aluminum pistons and a much heavier weight than the AP Racing setup. It carries a cost premium over the street version while offering no real performance increase and reduced "bling."

Stoptech does make a "race" version of their Trophy kit that offers anti knockback springs and removes the dust boots, but it's still fundamentally a street caliper.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Thank you for the highly aggressive sales pitch on the AP racing kit. Looks nice but I'm going to stick with Stop Tech. They also have quite a legacy with regards to Pro racing as well.
Sorry if I offended you. I was the Sales Mgr. at StopTech from 2003-2008, and helped build the company from its infancy. I'm intimately familiar with both their products and history in racing. I still have friends who I hired working there, and I certainly have nothing against the company. I am a track enthusiast too however, and I tend to exhaustively research all available options on a purchase of this magnitude. I just wanted you to be aware that there are other options available that offer more bang-for-the-buck, newer technology, etc.

Quote:
In terms of wheel fitment with the StopTech STR-60 and those APEX wheels...Last week one of my customers checked our CP9668 caliper kit fitment with APEX. The fitment template he had them check was this one. APEX told him that that the EC-7 in the 18x9 ET31 does not clear our 9668 kit, however the 18x9.5 ET22 and 18x10 ET33 do clear without a spacer. Our CP9668 is wider than the STR-60. Our CP9660 caliper is narrower however (163.1mm wide), and more similar to StopTech (162.25mm wide). We know our CP9660 kit (template here) fits behind the OEM wheels without a spacer.

Assuming StopTech used a similar disc offset to us, it's probably safe to assume their kit will also clear the 18x9.5 +22. However, with the +35, you're pulling the wheel face in 13mm. I was playing with the 1010 tires offset calculator, and my gut tells me it's going to be close. Your best bet is to get your hands on the StopTech wheel fitment template, send it to Apex, and ask them directly. I just sent an email out to see if I could get a hold of the appropriate template for you. If you can't get your hands on the StopTech template, have Apex check our CP9660 wheel template on the 18x9.5 +35 wheel. If our CP9660 clears by a solid margin, you're likely pretty safe on the StopTech kit fitting as well.

Let me know if there's ever anything brake-related that we can help you with (with regards to AP or StopTech...I likely know more about their product than much of their current staff. ). Also, don't forget that the level of service you are receiving now and will receive during your ownership of the brake kit should factor into your purchase decision. Thanks for hearing me out, and good luck getting your brakes sorted and back on track. Being sidelined with brake issues always stinks!
Appreciate 1
LBBDrew336.00
      01-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Thanks,
Yes, Stoptech 380 mm St-60 will fit under Apex 18" wheels with room to spare.
Appreciate 0