F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is the UK becoming like the US?
Studio RSR

02-03-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
P1 PET
Major
Rep
Drives: BOX ON WHEELS

Is the UK becoming like the US?

I frequently hear the stories about gun shots, bullets fired and bombs etc.

Looks so scary, this guy fired bullets through the window and he got away like that...

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview...2531398166.mp4
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Handguns have, to all effect and purpose, been banned in the UK for 20 years.
(yes, FAC holders can technically get licences for them, but it's incredibly difficult).

The number of gun killings in the UK is somewhere in the region of 40 per annum. Maybe 50.
The number of gun killings in the USA is in the region of 10,000 per annum.

If you get your news from the Daily Fail, then you'll believe that the world is going to hell, and every winter is going to be an 'Arctic blast'.
To the rest of us, the world keeps on turning, and every winter we get frost, ice, and some snow. And milder spells of weather too.
Appreciate 5
P1 PET396.00
JLR19691882.00
sygazelle11420.50
JustChris17489.00
      02-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

The uk is a far safer and fairer place to live these days in my opinion, despite being Britain first and conservative.

Yes we have our problems, but we don't have soldiers deployed on the streets like France, a million refugees and terror attacks like Germany, money issues like Italy and Greece, and Spain, and gun issues like the US.

We have got it good my friend, and nothing wrong working to make it better, but there were more people killed by shootings by the 3rd day of January in the USA than would be here all year.
BnB179.50
      02-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 PET View Post
I frequently hear the stories about gun shots, bullets fired and bombs etc.

Looks so scary, this guy fired bullets through the window and he got away like that...

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview...2531398166.mp4
In a word NO.

Not even close and anyone that says so is talking utter bollox.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
No.

Nothing like it.

Except the liberal lefties are similar.

All new age Nazis!

I maybe too erm autocratic in my views for the Spams, the usual red neck lot do not get on with my nuke everyone approach, they are too used with dealing with their liberals lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quick google of some figures. UK murders 2015 573. City of Chicago murders 2016 762. So in terms of crime we are no-where near the US.

Where I think we are changing and I've noticed this since the Brexit referendum is our political language. For example on Facebook one of my friends had liked something on Nigel Farage's page. Big bold text 'these are the mp's who betrayed democracy voting against Brexit. Make them pay at the polling station!' And then the comments on there were calling these MPs traitors, accusing them of treason, etc. And I've found the Daily Mail has become very Trump-esque since he came on the political scene. Just my opinion, but language seems to have more divisive, and aggressive.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Handguns have, to all effect and purpose, been banned in the UK for 20 years.
(yes, FAC holders can technically get licences for them, but it's incredibly difficult).

The number of gun killings in the UK is somewhere in the region of 40 per annum. Maybe 50.
The number of gun killings in the USA is in the region of 10,000 per annum.

True. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/u...ent-world.html

And our illustrious new President is working hard to relax gun laws...maybe everyone can have an AR-15. Remember---guns don't kill, bullets do...er...bullets don't kill, crazy people do...well...guns are so Merican.
      02-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

Guns seem like they are becoming more common in Yorkshire.
Not so long since the police shot that guy in Huddersfield who had a gun in the car.
Yesterday I drove past a street in dewsbury that had been closed after somebody was shot.

Hate to stereotype but everytime I hear one of these stories it always comes back to Asians living in Bradford or dewsbury. Coincidentally these places always seem to crop up in news reports when a terrorist is involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post

And our illustrious new President is working hard to relax gun laws...maybe everyone can have an AR-15. Remember---guns don't kill, bullets do...er...bullets don't kill, crazy people do...well...guns are so Merican.

It's not just any part of the gun law he is relaxing though.

It's the ability to let nutters by guns, sorry people with mental health issue.

So no longer will there be some sort check if the person has suicidal. Homocidal issues, hears voices telling them to kill.

The new form will be great
Appreciate 2
jgoens3787.50
Edinburra546.50
      02-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post

So no longer will there be some sort check if the person has suicidal. Homocidal issues, hears voices telling them to kill.

The expression lunatics taking over the asylum comes to mind!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Yep plenty lunatics over there, not just any lunatic but devout religious ones with guns.

Now what other part of the world does that sound like?

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep plenty lunatics over there, not just any lunatic but devout religious ones with guns.

Now what other part of the world does that sound like?

Luton?
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      02-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

I don't know the details about it, but it is most probably SOS and drug related.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
I don't know the details about it, but it is most probably SOS and drug related.
SOS - shit on shit?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Quote:
SOS - shit on shit?
Yup, but I have since found the story and looks like a case of mistaken identity, but most probably intended to be SOS.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
Quote:
SOS - shit on shit?
Yup, but I have since found the story and looks like a case of mistaken identity, but most probably intended to be SOS.
SOS - no offences then!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Sounds like usual Birmingham thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #18
ChaserPlus
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport Saphire Black

I lived in the USA for 10 years and always felt safe. Never worried about my car. People always would complement me on it it. Over here I always felt they were jealous and given the chance would key it. If I remember the figures were to be the victim of a violent crime or rape were 4.7 times more likely in ENGLAND. Please do not judge the USA by what you read in any paper from this country.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaserPlus View Post
I lived in the USA for 10 years and always felt safe. Never worried about my car. People always would complement me on it it. Over here I always felt they were jealous and given the chance would key it. If I remember the figures were to be the victim of a violent crime or rape were 4.7 times more likely in ENGLAND. Please do not judge the USA by what you read in any paper from this country.
Very much depends where in the States.

Also it's utterly pointless comparing violent crime between countries and even looking at violent crime for the UK is pointless.

Lived in the states been going there since early in the eighties and it is very violent, plenty of fucked up people with guns.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #20
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaserPlus View Post
I think it very much depends where you are in the States. I love the country, been there many times and never felt unsafe and that includes some of the big cities like New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Miami etc.

However, I'd suggest that once you are out of the heavily policed city centres and into the suburbs then it's very different. Some of the cities, Chicago, Baltimore for example have horrendous black on black murder and crime rates. As I said in a previous post, Chicago alone has more murders than the whole of the UK. When you watch local news in the States, every day there seems to be a murder, an armed robbery or a shot out with police. These things are still the exception in the UK which is perhaps why in these days of 24hr news channels and they need to fill time, they get such prominence now.

Finally I get more news stories from a variety of sources, the BBC (who I still generally trust) the Daily Mail (who I don't but like to get a different view), the Independent, international news organisations. And I don't know whether it's just my suspicious nature or what society has become, but when I read a big news story (like for example all the Brexit stuff) I have in the back of mind 'what's their agenda? Where are they coming from? What's their vested interest?
Appreciate 3
      02-04-2017, 02:28 AM   #21
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

"If you get your news from the Daily Fail, then you'll believe that the world is going to hell, and every winter is going to be an 'Arctic blast'."

In his late eighties my father progressively lost his sight through macula degeneration. But he was remarkably, and increasingly positive. Our son pointed out that this was probably because he could no longer read the Mail.
Appreciate 3
      02-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #22
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

Don't worry, it's only Muslims, Somalis or suspicious-looking chaps with Johnny-foreigner sounding names that will find it harder to buy guns. All the good, honest God-fearing Christians will be fine. Oh, and all the scum in the inner cities, of course
Appreciate 0