F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How critical is equal tread depth?
proTUNING Freaks

02-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
jpm5150
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50

How critical is equal tread depth?

So, Im just curious...recently had a run-flat go flat. I'm not going to debate whether the run flat could have been patched as they claim you can't, I know that topic has been covered in length everywhere. My question is more around what dealership service claimed was critical to replace all 4 tires since the tread was ~3mm on the other tires. I get it that its good to have even tread, but, their claim was that it would damage the transfer case and cause the x-drive system to malfunction. Is that really true? If yes, is that a corner case?
I'm not here to argue one way or another or say anything bad about the service department, Im just trying to learn what's what.

FYI: This is a 435xi.

Cheers, Jeff
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
MrF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

You should replace at 3mm. Wear bars are at 2mm. Tires wear faster below 5mm.
EXTERIOR: M Sport front bumper/side skirts, M3 rear bumper/fenders, black M3 kidney grilles, cf M3 mirror caps, cf MP trunk spoiler, ACS roof spoiler, side blades, black roof, Grigio Telesto, STANCE: Rotiform SPF 19"s, BC Racing BR coilovers, UUC front end-links, orange calipers, ENGINE: PS1, Wagner FMIC, Borla S-Type exhaust, quad ti tips, VRSF dp/cp, JB4, INTERIOR: ACS pedals, WeatherTech floor & BMW trunk mats
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Rudy@tirerack
Rep
Drives: rudy@tirerack.com

On X-Drive vehicles, it would be recommended to match tread depth within 2/32nd of an inch.
Example: If the new tire is 10/32 and your current tires are 8/32 or better, it is okay to replace one tire.
If your current tires are 7/32 or less, it would be best to replace all 4 tires or have 1 new tire shaved down to match the tread depth of the other 3 tires. If Tire Rack sells the tire you are looking for, we can shave it down to match the tread depth of the other 3 tires, saving you from having to replace all 4 tires.

This is a very common issue on AWD vehicles. BMW's are not traditionally AWD, so it may not be common knowledge to everyone here. Although, if you hop onto an Audi or Subaru forum, it is very common knowledge.
Appreciate 0