F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Critique my Ad please
proTUNING Freaks

02-20-2017, 03:02 AM   #1
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

Critique my Ad please

Hi Guys,

The Mrs Scirocco is on Autotrader and we haven't had a single call in the 4 weeks it has been up.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...rim=TSI&page=4

Can you nice people give me feedback on the advert/ pics etc please. For those who can't click the link the advertisement reads.

VW Scirocco 2.0 TSI GT with FSH, silver, 6 speed Manual, Parrot Bluetooth system with audio streaming and voice calls. VW Radio touch screen, on board computer, dual climate control. Cloth seats (no sagging like the leather),Steering wheel controls, day running lights. Long MOT expires 03rd Nov 2017. 36mpg! 2 electronic keys. No scuffs or marks. All tyres in good condition with plenty of tread. This car has been recently serviced and ready to go.

(Serviced 04/12/09 - 10260 Miles)

(Service 09/11/10 - 28279 Miles)

(Serviced 08/11/11 - 45361 miles)

(Serviced 16/01/2013 - 61890 miles)

(Serviced 30/06/14 - 71371 miles)

(Serviced 30/12/15 - 79448 miles)

(Serviced 20/12/16 - 89145 miles)

RAC inspection Jan 2016
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #2
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

Maybe it's the fluffy keyring

Looks good to me. Plenty of detail, and pictures of each and every angle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #3
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

There is one thing - that's in the actual advert, but not in what you posted above - that rings alarm bells to me, and means I would not call about the car.

'5+ owners'.

That screams 'friday lemon special'. Lots of people have owned it, had problems with it, and got shut of it. The 'Jan 2016 RAC inspection' supports that further - the assumption is that you had the inspection done when buying, you've had it for a year and want to get rid. Like the other owners. Again, it screams 'problems'.

As a private seller, you do NOT have to give that information out unless it is asked for. If it is asked for and you lie, then you could be in trouble, but if it isn't asked then you don't have to volunteer it.

So, delete '5+ owners' from the advert.
Also, delete the 'RAC inspection Jan 2016'. Never mention it, it's completely irrelevant.

Finally, if people search 'price low to high' with £7k as the max, then your car will be the last one that shows up. So either pull it down a couple of hundred pounds, or, perversely, put the price UP by £100. Then it shows up early in the list for people searching with a low of £7k (those searching £7k-£8k, for example)
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      02-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippeh View Post
Maybe it's the fluffy keyring

Looks good to me. Plenty of detail, and pictures of each and every angle.
haha good spot!

In all honesty I thought I had done an ok job, but not a single call or email in 4 weeks. Hence this thread. Price wise its about right compared to others on Autotrader.

The other half of me is thinking maybe I missed something...... perhaps its a crap time of year, maybe people don't have 7K cash lying around.....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
There is one thing - that's in the actual advert, but not in what you posted above - that rings alarm bells to me, and means I would not call about the car.

'5+ owners'.

That screams 'friday lemon special'. Lots of people have owned it, had problems with it, and got shut of it. The 'Jan 2016 RAC inspection' supports that further - the assumption is that you had the inspection done when buying, you've had it for a year and want to get rid. Like the other owners. Again, it screams 'problems'.

As a private seller, you do NOT have to give that information out unless it is asked for. If it is asked for and you lie, then you could be in trouble, but if it isn't asked then you don't have to volunteer it.

So, delete '5+ owners' from the advert.
Also, delete the 'RAC inspection Jan 2016'. Never mention it, it's completely irrelevant.

Finally, if people search 'price low to high' with £7k as the max, then your car will be the last one that shows up. So either pull it down a couple of hundred pounds, or, perversely, put the price UP by £100. Then it shows up early in the list for people searching with a low of £7k (those searching £7k-£8k, for example)

Great feedback, thank you. I didn't put it in my bit but Auto trader put it up, I will see if it can be taken out. 2 door cars usually have high owners though as people have kids etc and get rid.

The RAC inspection was done by an approved dealer who have all their cars inspected and not by us, I assumed it was a bonus but I take your point and will take this out.

thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:26 AM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Assuming you have put some more information about how its been looked after. I.e paint treated, regularly waxed. Also take a photo of all the paper work, you can photoshop out personal info simply enough so it shows its been properly looked after.

People who bought my old car said thats what made them visit mine over others.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The real reason you haven't had any calls is more likely to be due to age/mileage/price ratios vs the competition.

So (and I'm not saying yours is), if your 89,000 mile car is at a similar price with 69,000 mile cars, yours will get overlooked. People do search by year/ mileage and home in on the lowest age/mileage examples in the listing.

And this might just be me, but reading your detailed service event list, really drives home how many miles the car has on it. I would take that out and just simply mention it has a full service history.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

36mpg isn't much to shout about, so I'd probably remove that.

Personalise the ad more, as others have said explain how you have looked after it.

Change the price, either 7000 or 6900. 6999 makes you sound like a part-time dealer.

Try gumtree alongside autotrader and delete and re-upload your ad every day.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I'd also remove the bit about the cloth not sagging like leather - points out something it doesnt have and if you want leather it wont convince you otherwise.

I think you are fishing in a relatively small pond. Its a 3 door with a small back seat. Its petrol and not that economical. Its done a fair view miles. It would probably be more appealing if it was a Golf or a diesel which is of course not what you want to hear!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

IMO it's usually price, what are wbac offering, that's usually a decent guide.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

While the price seems fairly competitive with other similar cars they could all be having the same ssues as you in interest.
The one thing that stands out to me is the 'R' badge. While it may not be a big deal all the other cars in that price bracket clearly have the correct engine designator on the back and this may be noticeable to a potential buyer. For someone who knows what the badge means they might assume (rightly or wrongly) that the car has had a hard life.
The price while seemingly competitive is set at a similar level to trade sellers in your area for largely similar cars and if the buyer is prepared to travel then the market is awash with cars in that price bracket.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
RhysT1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 430d Gran Coupé

With autotrader it almost always comes down to price
I just did a quick search on there for 2009 onwards and under 90k, And there is one very similar to yours with 66k miles for £6,750
I had the search on cheapest price first and you were 4th down on the listings
In my opinion you are slightly over priced
I would lower the price to at least £6700 that will then put you top of the listings for over 2009 and under 90k search.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
JJR1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D, Porsche Boxster S, M

I also just did a search and you are simply asking too much money. There are retail cars at the same price as yours.

People will buy off A/T privately but not if you are asking dealer money.

I have sold all my cars privately no problem from £4k to £65k and all were priced below the dealer cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #14
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone I will get back on it! not sure where the R badge came from, when we bought the car it was there along with R branded door sills and Door mats. The dealer didn't advertise it as an R line but said previous owner might have tried to make it into one......

I think I might have been trying to give to much information regarding the service information but the has definitely helped me in the past when selling other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 05:36 AM   #15
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Nothing to do with the ad, but it makes me realise how long the Scirocco has been around now with only a slight facelift. Time for a new one VW!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #16
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

I had a thought.

Is the driver's seat bolster worn noticeably? I assume it is as you've taken a pic that avoids showing it.

If on the other hand it's showroom fresh then take a pic and display the fact. It's one of the first things I look for on a car ad.

Good luck!
      02-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
I had a thought.

Is the driver's seat bolster worn noticeably? I assume it is as you've taken a pic that avoids showing it.

If on the other hand it's showroom fresh then take a pic and display the fact. It's one of the first things I look for on a car ad.

Good luck!
Good feedback, the bolster on drivers seat is fine, its not leather so hasn't worn at all, just happened to take pictures that didn't show it.

The good news is since making the changes on Tuesday I have had 4 phone calls with someone viewing tomorrow and others at the weekend
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Nothing to do with the ad, but it makes me realise how long the Scirocco has been around now with only a slight facelift. Time for a new one VW!
Yes I was thinking this! I keep seeing some that catch my eye on the roads and they are usually pre 10 Plate! on the standard models (anything less than a R) From 08 to 16 there is minimal difference!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #19
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I'd also remove the bit about the cloth not sagging like leather - points out something it doesnt have and if you want leather it wont convince you otherwise.

I think you are fishing in a relatively small pond. Its a 3 door with a small back seat. Its petrol and not that economical. Its done a fair view miles. It would probably be more appealing if it was a Golf or a diesel which is of course not what you want to hear!
Completely agree with you! its a very niche car and only has 4 seats which will definitely put people off! I also personally think it appeals to a younger audience who can't really afford to run it and those who can will get something younger!
Appreciate 0