F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Has anyone fully deleted DPF, cat and EGR on N57?
Studio RSR

02-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Has anyone fully deleted DPF, cat and EGR on N57?

Has anyone fully deleted DPF, Cat (downpipe) and EGR (blanking plates and physically removed hardware)?

Obviously followed by a tune that disables all associated codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:27 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Has anyone fully deleted DPF, Cat (downpipe) and EGR (blanking plates and physically removed hardware)?

Obviously followed by a tune that disables all associated codes.
The answer is yes (but not by me.) Search for "ABC Delete". But you need to go over to the e90post diesel subforum, since that's what you're asking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #3
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The answer is yes (but not by me.) Search for "ABC Delete". But you need to go over to the e90post diesel subforum, since that's what you're asking about.
No I'm asking about F30 N57 and I haven't found anyone who has physically removed the EGR and EGR cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I don't believe you can. Manufacturers and regulators got wise to the fact that people were deleting them and coding them out to not flag up alarms, so systems got changed.
These days the entire system is looking for the EGR, and the different readings that will be given off by other parts of the engine, depending on the position of the EGR valve. It doesn't see those readings - and see them change as the EGR valve is supposed to open/close, it flags it up and goes into limp mode.

You want the nice fuel economy related to diesel, these days you've got to put up with the other stuff too.
Appreciate 1
R11RRY26.50
      02-22-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
it flags it up and goes into limp mode.
With full access to the DDE tables, this behaviour should be able to be coded out easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:20 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
With full access to the DDE tables, this behaviour should be able to be coded out easily.
And yet it appears nobody has been able to do it, and the F3x has been out for 5 years.

That should tell you a great deal about just how 'easily' it can be coded out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:54 AM   #7
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
And yet it appears nobody has been able to do it, and the F3x has been out for 5 years.

That should tell you a great deal about just how 'easily' it can be coded out.
I don't think it's a matter of anybody having tried hard to code it out without success. I think it's more of a matter of very few people (if any) actually attempt to completely remove the EGR hardware and those that have don't live close to a tuning company and are put off by sending their DME away for more bench flashes. I'd genuinely be interested if someone could reference if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Car has been out for 5 years.
No threads on owners forums from people that HAVE been able to do it.

Whilst it isn't proof of any sort, it certainly says a great deal.

Of course, if it's as easy as you say it's going to be, then feel free to code it out and post up the results here.
But I suspect you'll fail, because they've had to design out exploitables like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

AFAIK, it can be done. The N57 will be using the USA/CA's DDE, and it's been done on US M57 DDE6.2 cars. I'm virtually certain that blanking and/or removal can be done on an N57 the same way it has been done on the USA M57 cars.

However. Due to various emissions compliance requirements, the systems are electronic and not vacuum controlled, with numerous checks for positive control of the system. And, the DDE 6.2 CANNOT BE REMOTELY TUNED. You have to have it on a bench to jailbreak it. You cannot simply code it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, it can be done. The N57 will be using the USA/CA's DDE, and it's been done on US M57 DDE6.2 cars. I'm virtually certain that blanking and/or removal can be done on an N57 the same way it has been done on the USA M57 cars.

However. Due to various emissions compliance requirements, the systems are electronic and not vacuum controlled, with numerous checks for positive control of the system. And, the DDE 6.2 CANNOT BE REMOTELY TUNED. You have to have it on a bench to jailbreak it. You cannot simply code it.
I'm aware of that. I never referenced coding in the sense of simple coding. I mean editing all of the appropriate disable switches in the actual DDE binary file and bench flashing back to the DDE.

So nobody has been able to remove and bench unlock these DDEs yet for OBDII flashing? Annoying but not a huge deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87
Quote:

I'm aware of that. I never referenced coding in the sense of simple coding. I mean editing all of the appropriate disable switches in the actual DDE binary file and bench flashing back to the DDE.

So nobody has been able to remove and bench unlock these DDEs yet for OBDII flashing? Annoying but not a huge deal.
IMO the because the US didn't get a 335d(N57) the typical owner is less likely to be interested in such things.

Check the Euro/UK section.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 02:25 AM   #12
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

I thought about it , removing the DPF , but i hate the smoke coming from my exhaust if i remove it.

So i did only a Ecutune ( stage 1 ), and also programmed the EGR off

330HP and 660NM is more then enough.. still driving fine

430D
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Why do people want to do this? Removing the EGR significantly increases the levels of NO2 released by the engine for a pathetic increase in power.

Modern diesels are designed to work around EGR valves so the performance gain removing them is minimal and pointless. If you're worried about them gunking up, try doing some proper mileage on your car or using an EGR cleaning solution.

Also, it's completely illegal to remove the EGR valves and doing so and getting caught will land you a hefty fine and your car will be impounded until it's rectified and tested again costing another hefty sum.

If you're interested in power, try a chip tune instead!

Also, the DPF remove is illegal in Europe too. No idea about the US but I doubt it's legal there either.
      10-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #14
Candelstick
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I am currently working with Kerma TDI on all of these I'm will,be getting everything done I will post everything in the forums for all of you. I'm also in collaboration with super work t as well in developing a special dual exhaust that has a res and is straight piped with electric valves. Stay tuned for it it will be called project Elektra
Appreciate 1
Johnny2501029.00
      10-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacdelstick View Post
I am currently working with Kerma TDI on all of these I'm will,be getting everything done I will post everything in the forums for all of you. I'm also in collaboration with super work t as well in developing a special dual exhaust that has a res and is straight piped with electric valves. Stay tuned for it it will be called project Elektra
what a first post.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk
Why do people want to do this? Removing the EGR significantly increases the levels of NO2 released by the engine for a pathetic increase in power.

Modern diesels are designed to work around EGR valves so the performance gain removing them is minimal and pointless. If you're worried about them gunking up, try doing some proper mileage on your car or using an EGR cleaning solution.

Also, it's completely illegal to remove the EGR valvIPes and doing so and getting caught will land you a hefty fine and your car will be impounded until it's rectified and tested again costing another hefty sum.

If you're interested in power, try a chip tune instead!

Also, the DPF remove is illegal in Europe too. No idea about the US but I doubt it's legal there either.
Efficiency gains are substantial. Case in point is the VW scandal. IIRC the non-compliant TDIs were getting almost 5 mpg better than advertised and those cars still had DPF.

I'm the US most states don't emissions test diesels and even if they did the testing would only be visual and a simple code reader which can be fudged. It's why the EPA put US tuners on notice last year because they know there are a ton of cars on the road which aren't compliant.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Okay... so I have just been through the whole replacement deal with the EGR... EGR Valve and cooler replaced along with injector and another pressure valve behind the EGR Cooler... my check engine light is still coming back after not even 100miles... dealer says they need to replace the intake next... Could you not just either unplug the EGR Valve and code it in a way that it won't trigger into the memory or insert a piece of metal after the valve that will "plug" the line and won't let the gases recirculate, go back into the intake as soot it dirty? Or is there another flow sensor afterward? If the valve no longer lets burned fuel gas recirculate... what does that do to the performance, fuel mileage... and will this potentially clog up the cat converter sooner?

I drive a lot of miles at 80k now after 22months... I am not planning on spending 10k every 2 years on repairs... especially where in Texas Diesel are Emission testing exempt....

I'm really trying to find a solution even if that's not optimal and means extra work... any knowledge if there are delete options out there for DEF EGR and SCR? The N57 Motor is used in a couple of different models... you would assume that there is somebody out there building it...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

N57 is in the 5 series. N47 is in the 3 series. That being said the n47 deletes are here now and I believe bpc has done the N57.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 03:20 AM   #19
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

N57 is in the E90 335d as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 05:30 AM   #20
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies View Post
Okay... so I have just been through the whole replacement deal with the EGR... EGR Valve and cooler replaced along with injector and another pressure valve behind the EGR Cooler... my check engine light is still coming back after not even 100miles... dealer says they need to replace the intake next... Could you not just either unplug the EGR Valve and code it in a way that it won't trigger into the memory or insert a piece of metal after the valve that will "plug" the line and won't let the gases recirculate, go back into the intake as soot it dirty? Or is there another flow sensor afterward? If the valve no longer lets burned fuel gas recirculate... what does that do to the performance, fuel mileage... and will this potentially clog up the cat converter sooner?

I drive a lot of miles at 80k now after 22months... I am not planning on spending 10k every 2 years on repairs... especially where in Texas Diesel are Emission testing exempt....

I'm really trying to find a solution even if that's not optimal and means extra work... any knowledge if there are delete options out there for DEF EGR and SCR? The N57 Motor is used in a couple of different models... you would assume that there is somebody out there building it...
80k miles, EGR needing replacement ... sounds about right, tbh. They don't last forever.

As I posted a considerable time ago on this (and other) threads, various people have been saying 'It must be possible', or 'A fix is about to be released by XYZ company, watch this space !', and then it all goes quiet again.

Here in the UK, where diesels have been a lot more popular for a long time, nobody has managed to delete the EGR and/or DPF as yet, and that's with 5 years of work going into it.
Quite simply, the systems are hard-coded into the car electronics. As the EGR (for example) opens and closes, the car expects to see other readings, taken from other sensors, change (for example inlet air temp). If those readings don't change as expected, then the car throws a fault code.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #21
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
80k miles, EGR needing replacement ... sounds about right, tbh. They don't last forever.

As I posted a considerable time ago on this (and other) threads, various people have been saying 'It must be possible', or 'A fix is about to be released by XYZ company, watch this space !', and then it all goes quiet again.

Here in the UK, where diesel have been a lot more popular for a long time, nobody has managed to delete the EGR and/or DPF as yet, and that's with 5 years of work going into it.
Quite simply, the systems are hard-coded into the car electronics. As the EGR (for example) opens and closes, the car expects to see other readings, taken from other sensors, change (for example inlet air temp). If those readings don't change as expected, then the car throws a fault code.
Thanks for that even if it's not what I wanted to hear... I guess I will have to start learning how to work on these parts ... The chances that something does come out can only get better with the vehicle being on the market longer and people get up there on mileage... so I won't give up hope ...yet
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #22
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Have a look at the E90 330d LCI as the N57 was launched in the E90 and it's largely the same as the F30 unit aside from a slightly higher rev limit and fuel pressure that yields the higher stock power and torque figures.
Appreciate 1
MrTookies454.00