F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Formula 1 2017 season
proTUNING Freaks

02-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Formula 1 2017 season

Well, the new season is nearly upon us and the first clutch of teams have released this seasons cars. What are peoples thoughts on whether the new regulations will cure the some of the previous seasons issues and what do you think of the new looking cars?

Not a fan that the vertical fins have reappeared on most and to my mind, Merc not having them suggests they may be ahead on the aero package.

Predictions, thoughts and general F1 meanderings.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

They look better being wider / bigger but unless they sort out the noise they make then I'm out again for the third season.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Yep agree with that. They do look quite sleek now with the rakish rear and the wider stance does make them look like they can take corners at a gzillion mph. I think Lewis said he loved them and agreed they just need to sort the sound out.

Will be interesting to see which drivers get a bit caught out by the new forces and stresses. One thing the sim cant replicate!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Skello
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 X20d M Sport 2021

They look better, but I can't quite help but think it will be another dullard Mercedes show. I lost interest last season completely. I do love F1 so I will be watching and hoping things have improved.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I couldn't care less really what the cars look like I just want the racing to be more competitive. If that means ugly cars so be it.

The last few years have been so dull with Mercedes just winning everything. With the poison dwarf being pushed out I am hopeful we may see something more interesting this season.
Skello45.50
      02-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Look good, and contrary to what alot are saying, I think Merc will win the championship, but with raw speed being the main ingredient...watch Red Bull this season, Ferrari and McLaren will be racing for 3rd.
      02-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skello View Post
They look better, but I can't quite help but think it will be another dullard Mercedes show. I lost interest last season completely. I do love F1 so I will be watching and hoping things have improved.
I think you could well be right. I think if this season doesnt produce more excitement, I dread to think what the new owners have in mind. I'll all for making it a 'show' for the spectators but I dont want them to turn it in to Indy Car.

I think more restrictions on aero (to prevent racing isolation and the lack of getting in the box of the car in front for passes), a rethink on the whole engine philosophy (pretty much run by Merc and Ferrari) and a shake-up on driver aids.

Its a fine balance of keeping it as the pinnacle of automotive advancement but still should be about driving skill and not a bunch of tefal heads sat behind banks of computer software.

Its a sad indictment when current F1 drivers say the thrill of racing has gone.

To that end, what era do you think was the best in F1?

For me, it has to be the mid 70s. Huge power, real risk and the drivers had character (James Hunt slipping a Japanese journalist a length in the garage prior to jumping in his car .)
Appreciate 1
Skello45.50
      02-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I'm hoping the new tyres allowing them drive as hard as they want will be a big benefit when it comes to the racing drama.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
      02-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Hopefully better racing and reckon the gap to the Mercs is reduced.

But still reckon Bottas is going to get smashed by Hamilton!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Hopefully better racing and reckon the gap to the Mercs is reduced.

But still reckon Bottas is going to get smashed by Hamilton!!

It will be very interesting for sure. I think you are right but Bottas imho is equal to if not better than Nico plus he has the same temperature of ice running through his veins that Kimi has. Their duel, if nothing else, will make it an interesting season.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Cars look better and wow, 4secs a lap faster, not sure that will really be happening but hey ho. New tyres should be the major factor.

Still rooting for Lewis here. Come on son!
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
pensioned off
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d m sport plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
Well, the new season is nearly upon us and the first clutch of teams have released this seasons cars. What are peoples thoughts on whether the new regulations will cure the some of the previous seasons issues and what do you think of the new looking cars?

Not a fan that the vertical fins have reappeared on most and to my mind, Merc not having them suggests they may be ahead on the aero package.

Predictions, thoughts and general F1 meanderings.

With Max Verstappen having one season under his belt he could be the one to challenge Hamilton.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I think you could well be right. I think if this season doesnt produce more excitement, I dread to think what the new owners have in mind. I'll all for making it a 'show' for the spectators but I dont want them to turn it in to Indy Car.

I think more restrictions on aero (to prevent racing isolation and the lack of getting in the box of the car in front for passes), a rethink on the whole engine philosophy (pretty much run by Merc and Ferrari) and a shake-up on driver aids.

Its a fine balance of keeping it as the pinnacle of automotive advancement but still should be about driving skill and not a bunch of tefal heads sat behind banks of computer software.

For me, it has to be the mid 70s. Huge power, real risk and the drivers had character (James Hunt slipping a Japanese journalist a length in the garage prior to jumping in his car .)
Late 80's, early 90's, faster and just as risky!

Appreciate 1
Skello45.50
      02-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensioned off View Post
With Max Verstappen having one season under his belt he could be the one to challenge Hamilton.
Blimey, I totally forgot about Max!!! Yep, I'm hoping he will continue to develop and carry on being Mad Max. WDC within 2 years

Alex440, certainly cant disagree with that mate! 1990 was when I regained my love for F1. My first interest began on 1st August, 1976 whilst at the Nürburgring witnessing the aftermath of Niki Laudas crash (we were on a camping holiday and stopped off at the Ring) and I asked my dad what that large black plume of smoke was. He said it was probably someone having a big BBQ....
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2017, 02:44 AM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Looking forward to the new season and hoping that the new regs do shake things up a little. One thing we can usually look forward to is a change in order as the season progresses, as teams pick up on what their rivals have done. Hopefully, that's not the bloody aerofoil and people will realise that Merc were right all along!

Loving that McLaren finally have a car with some colour and I hope it can feature in the top six occasionally - more hope than expectation.

Hope that Lewis can crack on with being a great driver and be less petulant - again more hope than expectation. He and Alonso are the best out there still, with Max next in line.

I do think a motivated Bottas could provide a shock. He's been bloody quick when the car is right, is 100 times better at wheel-to-wheel racing than Rosberg and, as Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut says, ice-cold Finnish temperament (just like Kimi and Nico).

Best era - 80s turbos were individually* spectacular, plus different cars fast at different points of the race, tyre changes making a real difference in a non-artificial way. Early 3.5 litre era from 1989 was great too, it started to wane around when Schumi appeared and was set on the bath to dullness once Ayrton was killed. Took a few years for the rot to complete, but already things were going downhill fast in 1994.

* it's this that has never been recaptured, in my view. Senna monstering a Lotus 98t or Mansell hurling a Williams FW11 didn't need another car in view to look amazing. The physics-challenging action was obvious and compelling. The cars have never looked that way since.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #16
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Quote:

Late 80's, early 90's, faster and just as risky!

I've seen that clip before. It really does show you what skill was needed back then. I'm not sure that level of skill is required anymore.

Senna, for me anyway, was the best.
      02-25-2017, 05:37 AM   #17
Skello
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 X20d M Sport 2021

Quote:

Late 80s and early 90s for me, they are when I think my interest really took off, the noise the engines made is tattooed onto my brain! There is one race in particular, I think it was at Donnington, Senna came from the back of the grid to win in the wet, no one could touch him.

I was transfixed on his car the whole way around, watching his lines, the speed to took into the corners, so different to everyone else and so beautiful. Senna was a master of his craft.

I agree with everything else you say, some new engine manufacturers would shake it up a bit. I would love to see Alfa Romeo back in there, I'm an old Alfisti at heart. I'm still mourning selling my 147 last year
Appreciate 1