E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Reporting mods to insurance

02-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Reporting mods to insurance

Hey, I'm just trying to get a general idea as to who reports their mods to insurance? If so how much more do you pay a month? Is it even worth it? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm debating whether I should report or not. Don't really want to waste more on Insurance. Thanks!
      02-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

It's like reporting to your apartment complex that you have a new dog.

Nope
Appreciate 2
BSM n54iS2684.50
      02-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
Hey, I'm just trying to get a general idea as to who reports their mods to insurance? If so how much more do you pay a month? Is it even worth it? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm debating whether I should report or not. Don't really want to waste more on Insurance. Thanks!
I listed everything I had done, including values and documentation.

When my car was totaled by some asshat on his phone, it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I fought for months to no avail.

F*ck Geico.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandicular View Post

When my car was totaled by some asshat on his phone, it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I fought for months to no avail.

F*ck Geico.
Yeah...That's what I've been assuming as well :/ I assume any mods I do are probably not going to be reimbursed. They do make insurance out there for people who mod, but boy it's much more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

Insurance is not going to pay for any mods you have on your car if it is wrecked. A car made a left turn (illegally) in front of us a couple months ago and our car got totaled. The adjuster told me to take the additions I hade put in the SUV like the rear cargo mat, etc,.. because they were not part of the original car and no value allowance for them would be given.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

you also have to becarefull as some insurance may cancel your policy for performance upgrades. So when you ask them don't tell them you already have them installed , instead tell them you would like to install them in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boland01 View Post
Insurance is not going to pay for any mods you have on your car if it is wrecked. A car made a left turn (illegally) in front of us a couple months ago and our car got totaled. The adjuster told me to take the additions I hade put in the SUV like the rear cargo mat, etc,.. because they were not part of the original car and no value allowance for them would be given.
The adjuster for the other person's insurance? I'd immediately lawyer up if I was told that.

I'll be switching to agreed value insurance soon.
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      02-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I called my insurance and asked them. They don't offer the service. If I get in an accident it's like if I never had insurance. But everyone does that so... . One guy I know had coils exhaust and intake and was still insured. Like they don't know what to look for so.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Read this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353153
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      02-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

To save time OP - don't report, but mod wisely and pray to never get your car totaled. That's it. Everything else involves either a lot more money (specialized mod insurance) or a lot of time/money and headaches trying to fight insurance to no avail. IMHO it's not worth it. You mod, you enjoy and live a little. You get fucked and totaled - forget about mods, your loss. As simple as that

By modding wisely I mean don't spend too much money - it's not worth it. There is a rule of diminished return or 80/20 rule - whatever you want to call it. 20% of mods will get you 80% of joy. Yes you can spent another 80% and get extra 20% joy - but when you get fucked in accident - don't run crying to forum telling how bad insurance companies are

There is a thread about a guy here on forum who has more than 100 mods on his car lol. Imagine if he gets totaled.... he spent literally days and nights modding his car and documenting it. A lot of money. Probably for that time and money could have got some graduate degree lol
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      02-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:

F*ck Geico.
Did you hire an independent appraiser?

I once slid a car I loved on wet, newly paved pavement, that resulted in $10k damage. The insurance company totaled it, because they said their appraiser appraised the cars pre-accident value at $18k.

I told them BS, the car was worth $30k plus, they said they were going by what their appraiser stated. So I looked into it, and found out the law allowed the policyholder to hire an independent appraiser, so I did. My appraisal came out to $32.5k

According to the law, once you submit your appraisal, the insurance company can either go by you appraisal, or send it to arbitration. In my case, they said that since my appraisal was so far off from their initial appraisal, they were going to get a second appraiser to look at the car. After they did that, I got a call, and they said they were going with my appraiser's value, and they weren't sending it to arbitration. My guess is that their second appraiser came back with a legitimate value.

Insurance companies use low ball initial appraisers, that use software that is designed to low ball the value. For example, the appraiser dinged my value for 'dirty floor mats' - sorry a$$hat there was mud on the side of the road! Be on the lookout of any appraisal that uses CCC software!

What sucks the most is that 1) I had to pay $500 for an appraisal, just to not get screwed by Allstate, and 2) once the announce they are totaling a car, they won't change their mind, so my $30k+, that I loved dearly, was totaled for $10k damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Not worth it. When my friend's M3 got totaled they didn't honor any reported mods, but they were nice enough to let him visit the car in the junkyard with some tools haha. He pulled off his coils and Dinan exhaust.

But as others have said, mod wisely. Mods are something you do for yourself, investment in the vehicle. Don't expect to get full value out of them when you sell the car. If you are able to put 10k into your 335i you'd be better off just going for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:

F*ck Geico.
Yeah that is about the way it goes.

The only way I am aware to get insurance to cover mods is if you build a custom car and get specialty insurance which usually have other limits on it use. I had a truck with I hotrod and got special insurance on the truck and my policy basically said the vehicle would be returned to the state prior to the accident. I have to get an appraisal for thief or it being totaled. But I could not drive the vehicle every day.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Yeah that is about the way it goes.

The only way I am aware to get insurance to cover mods is if you build a custom car and get specialty insurance which usually have other limits on it use. I had a truck with I hotrod and got special insurance on the truck and my policy basically said the vehicle would be returned to the state prior to the accident. I have to get an appraisal for thief or it being totaled. But I could not drive the vehicle every day.
Yep. although even that way, it's tough getting the car insured, unless it's over 25 years old.

I have a 1955 Oldsmobile and an LS-swapped Volvo V90, and Haggerty wouldn't touch the Volvo.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

I'm going to call up Geico and ask them how vehicle modifications affect the insurance policy, if they're covered, and what they do to the premium. I'll let you all know of the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
I'm going to call up Geico and ask them how vehicle modifications affect the insurance policy, if they're covered, and what they do to the premium. I'll let you all know of the results.
Well, what they tell you and what happens after your car is totaled are probably going to be two different things. From personal experience.

Funny thing was, after they refused to pay for my mods, they told me that if I removed the aftermarket turbo and plumbing, they'd give me less as a payout. Pretty infuriating.

I recall the disclosure form they have you fill out listing all mods and their value is only available via mail.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:44 AM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I save receipts for any parts that are added other than what came with car from factory. Whether it be panels, lighting, wheels, etc.

In two separate occasions with damage to my car & Nationwide Ins - all I had to do was tell the adjuster when he looked at the car that said parts were added later, show him the receipt, and they replaced the parts with the exact same & they were fully covered (minus my $250 ded) - no questions asked

I have never had a problem with Nationwide & use them for all my pertinent insurance.

Course I'm 56, married, with no accidents/tickets (all hail the radar detector ) & have been using them since I was 20yrs old
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:05 AM   #18
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: to Drum & Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Course I'm 56, married, with no accidents/tickets (all hail the radar detector ) & have been using them since I was 20yrs old
Which radar detector are you using?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:17 AM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-OP View Post
Which radar detector are you using?
Passport MAX2
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      03-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Yep. although even that way, it's tough getting the car insured, unless it's over 25 years old.

I have a 1955 Oldsmobile and an LS-swapped Volvo V90, and Haggerty wouldn't touch the Volvo.
Yeah does not surprise me on the Volvo. Grant it I am not in the class of car buyers, but you can get insurance on anything, even modified cars, but you are not going to talk to State Farm or even Haggerty, I am told there is other private insurance companies out there and they will write you a policy on any vehicle you have, but you going to cost you money.

I currently do not have my 53 F100 insured since it has been in storage for the last 20 yrs, prior to that I had special insurance on it and I forget who the company was I know it was not Haggerty, but they did not care what I did to the truck. I got an appraisal based on all the work that was done and they covered me, even though it was pushing 350HP and it had complete drive train swap. I had it insured as hot rod, not as classic or antique and the age did not matter as a hot rod, but came with usage restriction.
Appreciate 0