E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Insurance claim (Allstate)

02-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Insurance claim (Allstate)

I had an at-fault insurance claim, I have full coverage, however the inspector today was telling me that if I want to get new genuine BMW parts as opposed to reconditioned crap I have to pay the difference?

Is this true? Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.
      02-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
Krynos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, F10 528i

May or may not be true - check the fine-print on your policy.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
335udm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
I had an at-fault insurance claim, I have full coverage, however the inspector today was telling me that if I want to get new genuine BMW parts as opposed to reconditioned crap I have to pay the difference?

ThatRWD, What year is your car, mileage, condition? As said in previous post, maybe, read your policy.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

2007 335i 74k, condition otherwise is pretty good
      03-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

That's same year and mileage as my car. Most insurance won't give genuine part replacement unless it's less than a few years old. You can likely find OE parts online for the aftermarket prices they're pricing, except for body panels. If you take them a list detailing only a few OE parts you'd like you're more likely to be granted it. Ask them to please pay just the few OE part prices

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
That is the policy with most insurance that I have seen - as stated, check your fine print. Most insurance companies will only pay for replacement parts that they have deemed to be qualified aftermarket replacements instead of more expensive OEM

With all my cars & Nationwide Ins. I added the option to 'Replace all parts with ONLY OEM Genuine parts' - that option cost me a whopping $7/yr on my policy - totally worth it
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Isn't it funny, I have the hands people but never had a claim. I was told that would not be the case, my buddy said don't believe it, they're just as bad as the lizard co. (I argued for OEM glass with the lizard and I got it)

I do have an agent with the hands people, and I admit he has always been responsive to changes with cars etc. One time I complained and the hands people sent me a gift card.

btw I had a mishap with a loaner BMW, brand new, and the lizard co. had all over the claim, "aftermarket approved, used not available." And then it had tel#'s of dismantlers that the adjustor had called. What if the dealer didn't accept that and said I have to pay for OEM? It was a brand f***** new loaner. I felt bad for the car, but not for the dealer lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

You mention that your policy only supplies reconditioned parts. This would be un-usual as most policies will supply either aftermarket or reconditioned. Depends on what is available in the market. Most policies have language stating they will not always supply OEM parts.
      03-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
You mention that your policy only supplies reconditioned parts. This would be un-usual as most policies will supply either aftermarket or reconditioned. Depends on what is available in the market. Most policies have language stating they will not always supply OEM parts.
that was with the lizard co. It was inconsistent. I insisted on OEM Saint Gobain Sekurit with a BMW logo for the windshield, argued for 40 min. and they gave it to me.

With the BMW loaner, I saw the estimate, and it stated used wasn't available (ya think the car was brand new) and so aftermarket was approved. Hopefully the CarFax would have shown accident so nobody would get ripped off buying it used...

Nobody wants aftermarket parts on their car. For pete's sake, for my Maxima, a fender was available for $38 retail. That's gotta cost a body shop less than 50% of that number, yet they're gonna estimate it for $500. imho the way you stick it to them is with a pearl or tricoat paint good luck with that retail $300+ a pint

Let's face it, more often than not, repaired cars are not very good, not like they were pre-accident
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post

sounds like you have the wrong insurance company, not the wrong policy.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
HooDat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi 2008 | c63s amg 2019

I have geico, was in an at fault accident... Geico insurance person told me they may use aftermarket/reconditioned parts. I told them that's not okay since my car has all bmw genuine parts and i'm paying to have those OEM parts insured... not some aftermarket/refurbished stuff. He told me he'll see what he can do. I found a geico compatible shop that basically said the same thing but I told them to only use genuine bmw parts, I never had to pay a cent more than the $500 deductible!!

2019 | w205 | C63s AMG
Appreciate 0