GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - New England

03-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Mrida335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

how is living with a ZCP in Mass?

Hey guys,

I am in the process of ordering an F80 (FINALY!!) and I am on the fence about ordering the Comp Pack mainly due to the stiffer suspension and living and working in Boston Metrowest area of Mass.

You know as well as I that our roads here in Mass are not usually great. I understand that this is totally subjective and I have read just about every single review and watched every video i can before posting here but I wanted to hear from the people who own ZCP cars in my area what thier thoughts are about the ride.

As a precursur to this, I have owned many cars with modified suspension and have dealt with the pain and suffering of lowering, coilovers, big rim-small tire etc.

Couple of things I know I will be asked so lets get them out of the way:

- Do I plan on tracking the car: Maybe once or twice a year
- I plan on forgoing the 20's and sticking with the 19's
- I have a wife and need the car to get past the lady test, or come close
- I have no regular commute really and work from home mostly. estimated miles per year about 10k
- I do not plan on modifying this car from a chasis or power prespective, maybe cosmetics.

You should also know I plan on getting a 6speed and have heard about the issues getting the power down in an non-zcp car. Not that I shy away from tail happy cars, but rear end compliance is important to me

OK with that all bieng said let me know how you feel about the ZCP ride quality, and if the "it rides to hard on the street" crying is overblown or not

Thanks for yoru time
-Mark
2002 745i - Kalahari Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
DL335D
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 Q4

I have driven my ZCP on the beautiful 666 wheels (I get tons of compliments on them) for a little over 3 months now and don't feel that the ride is bad at all in comfort mode. Only thing my wife has said after multiple rides is the seats are very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
dnanrub
Only dead fish go with the flow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

My wife said mine is more comfortable than my e90 335 that was on 18's. I only had the 666's on for a few days before my snows went on so she hasn't yet been in with the 20's on. Which does make a difference. I leased a spec car or I would have opted for the 19's.

I like the CP in general but did notice that there is no thigh rest on the cp seats. I miss that.

as a daily driver in northeast it's been great so far.

Dnan
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Aw_F80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17' AW F80 ZCP

Love everything about my F80 ZCP I have a little over 10k miles on it. I drive a lot I live in the north shore area and work is only down the street, but I'm constantly driving thru Boston and the south shore due to the new home we just bought so I making that trip 2-3 times a week and when the house is done later in the year it will be a everyday commute for me from the south shore to north shore. I have the DCT and drive on sport for everything. Every now and then I hit the sport plus cause I love the burbles the comp pack makes especially in the tunnels when there is no traffic of course! I avoid every pothole I see, not to sure about my wife when she drives it lol. I have no complaints!
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
liquidM
Rep
Drives: TBD

I'm in a similar situation. I am researching the 2018 M4 ZCP as a potential vehicle. I'm interested in hearing opinions on the driveability during our winters. I do plan to get a dedicated set of winter tires and rims. I do mostly highway commutes (I95 / I93 / i90). Is the rearend prone to kick out even when light on the throttle due to the amount of torque? I am coming from a fwd TSX and rwd s2000. I prefer the s2000 in the winter. The TSX is ok but I never liked it in the winter.

Thanks for any thoughts on winter driveability.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
DL335D
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 Q4

I drove mine during the blizzard last month from boston to NJ with snow tires. It handled better than my 328 xdrive with all seasons. You will be fine just keep out of sport and sport plus and put a 50lb bad of sand in the trunk ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

I'm on/just outside the Rte 128 loop and looking to ED a ZCP F80 in 2018. I'm glad to hear the 20"s don't make the car unbearable. I've had firm cars (my wife's MCS with a sports suspension comes to mind) and we both have been ok with that, so I'll probably be ok with the ZCP as well. I'm looking forward to a test drive this spring.

Unlike prior BMW's I'll try to avoid driving it in messy winter weather if I can, but I'll get get a set of 18"s (ideally 513M) with perf winter tires for cold days or days when I have no choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

I'm in Southwestern Western CT, working from home whenever it snows. I have Non ZCP (Not sure if there any performance difference between the two in the snow) with DCT with Michelin Artic Alpin PA2 (Performance Winter Tires) 255/40 265/40 on my 513m wheels. These tires are decent in light snow, but I wouldn't recommend driving in more than three inches or more. More made for cold weather dry/wet conditions.

A dedicated snow tire would be required if you regularly drive in snowy conditions.

For summer I picked up a set of 666m.

Last edited by ctgeorge; 03-13-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
F80KilahB
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3 (on delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw_F80 View Post
Love everything about my F80 ZCP I have a little over 10k miles on it. I drive a lot I live in the north shore area and work is only down the street, but I'm constantly driving thru Boston and the south shore due to the new home we just bought so I making that trip 2-3 times a week and when the house is done later in the year it will be a everyday commute for me from the south shore to north shore. I have the DCT and drive on sport for everything. Every now and then I hit the sport plus cause I love the burbles the comp pack makes especially in the tunnels when there is no traffic of course! I avoid every pothole I see, not to sure about my wife when she drives it lol. I have no complaints!
Yo Khangster this you bro!!! lol I see all is well still! Now who will service your ride !!! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
bzoo
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 Comp Pack

I have comp pack with 10k miles. I lowered it on swift springs but I'm taking them off because the ride is way too harsh. Lowered it looks perfect but the rough ride isn't worth it. I also have 18mm spacers in the back and 15mm on the front which I will leave on because they looks great! The ride with stock is perfect but the road noise from the 20" tires is a little loud. I can't wait to replace tires with something else. That being said I love the 666 rims and it really differentiates the car.
Appreciate 0