E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange intermittent vibration

03-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Strange intermittent vibration

E92 335i 07
Its an intermittent vibration, there are things I can do to trigger it, sometimes. It doens't always work. I can feel it in the chasis and steering wheel and pedals/foot rest (its not always that strong).

I have replaced brake pads, rotors, wheels and tires, road force balanced bt RRT (very reputable racing shop). They said my control arms are fine (I suspect control arms still, will explain in a minute).

Sometimes it happens at highspeeds, sometimes. Its light. I feel like I've noticed that it gets triggered when I turn at highspeeds, its like a switch that can either fix or start the vibration. Or if I brake and turn at highspeeds I feel like the car is going over small bumps.

A few shops have looked at it but they say it looks fine, RRT which is an authorized bmw service center charged me the diagnosis and couldn't come up with anything, they said they'll have to keep looking but the cost could easily go up into multiple hours. Other shops couldn't find anything.

One thing to mention is that the bushing in one of the control arms was replaced with an M3 bushing. This is the only weird thing on my car and I think it may be the culprit.
      03-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
Usually a vibration while turning at high speeds indicates a bad control arm. Another possibility is a seized brake caliper. When you notice the vibration, stop and check the wheels. If one wheel feels much hotter than the rest, you likely have a seized caliper and it can cause an intermittent vibration.
      03-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I got a slight vibration at different times and it was from the strut mounts. They were worn out and caused a little looseness in the front end. Had them replaced and it's SOOOOOO smooth and quiet.
Appreciate 0