BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Looking for protection advice

03-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Looking for protection advice

... and if you were ready to reply with some smart comment about Trojan versus Durex... I think we can consider those responses given and move on

My LBB MY2017 is sitting in storage until the spring. I only had it for 10 days prior to going into its cocoon. With spring approaching (fingers crossed, knock on wood) I need to make the decisions I put off in the fall.

Do I really need PPF? Probably only go for the front if I do (bumper, full hood, fenders and rocker panels). But I wonder what the difference is between this or just spending a few hundred every year on touch ups. FYI, I have no option for Expel nearby, so I will have to go 3M Pro if at all. So, given that, will it affect the look?

I definitely want to coat it whether I apply PPF or not. But what is the best option? I know that professional application is likely the best way to go - but my options in Nova Scotia are very limited for that. Maybe better to find the best product that I can DIY and go from there. What would you recommend?

I know there are threads on all this (including the massive Detailer's Domain one), but I keep talking myself into circles. If you would be so kind as to give some opinions it might help be break out of my loop.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
... and if you were ready to reply with some smart comment about Trojan versus Durex... I think we can consider those responses given and move on

My LBB MY2017 is sitting in storage until the spring. I only had it for 10 days prior to going into its cocoon. With spring approaching (fingers crossed, knock on wood) I need to make the decisions I put off in the fall.

Do I really need PPF? Probably only go for the front if I do (bumper, full hood, fenders and rocker panels). But I wonder what the difference is between this or just spending a few hundred every year on touch ups. FYI, I have no option for Expel nearby, so I will have to go 3M Pro if at all. So, given that, will it affect the look?

I definitely want to coat it whether I apply PPF or not. But what is the best option? I know that professional application is likely the best way to go - but my options in Nova Scotia are very limited for that. Maybe better to find the best product that I can DIY and go from there. What would you recommend?

I know there are threads on all this (including the massive Detailer's Domain one), but I keep talking myself into circles. If you would be so kind as to give some opinions it might help be break out of my loop.
I might be able to help slightly. I just talked to the film shop today as my car is due to arrive in a week or two; hopefully the former. Anyways, the shop is a premium facility and they sell both Xpel and 3M pro. I was originally going to go with Xpel but from what the film shop has said I'm going with 3M. They said both are great films and give great protection but the Xpel is slightly more noticeable than the 3M. I plan on doing complete parts expect for the roof (8" back from windscreen) and I want it to be less noticeable. Over the film I am going with ceramic coating.

Keep in mind all this, especially in Canada is in my view, very expensive but I plan on keeping the car for quite some time and it should help with resale and just having piece of mind. I see some of the prices that the US guys pay and I'm jealous.

I like your alternative though, just paying to get repairs done annually. With the cost of film you could do a lot of repairs, every year for a good number of years.

Hopefully this helps?

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut View Post
I might be able to help slightly. I just talked to the film shop today as my car is due to arrive in a week or two; hopefully the former. Anyways, the shop is a premium facility and they sell both Xpel and 3M pro. I was originally going to go with Xpel but from what the film shop has said I'm going with 3M. They said both are great films and give great protection but the Xpel is slightly more noticeable than the 3M. I plan on doing complete parts expect for the roof (8" back from windscreen) and I want it to be less noticeable. Over the film I am going with ceramic coating.

Keep in mind all this, especially in Canada is in my view, very expensive but I plan on keeping the car for quite some time and it should help with resale and just having piece of mind. I see some of the prices that the US guys pay and I'm jealous.

I like your alternative though, just paying to get repairs done annually. With the cost of film you could do a lot of repairs, every year for a good number of years.

Hopefully this helps?

Cheers
I'm in the same boat here in Toronto. I just received my VIN number yesterday and I've already estimated that quotes will be in the area of 3-4k for full bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, lights and rockers.

I know for sure that I will be coating it with Ceramic Pro as soon as I get it. I have heard both good and bad with PPF.

I've had my current RSX for 15 years now and the bumper is riddled with stonechips.

I think I'm going to skip the PPF and just have it repainted down the road.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Quote:

Hopefully this helps?

Cheers
I'm in the same boat here in Toronto. I just received my VIN number yesterday and I've already estimated that quotes will be in the area of 3-4k for full bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, lights and rockers.

I know for sure that I will be coating it with Ceramic Pro as soon as I get it. I have heard both good and bad with PPF.

I've had my current RSX for 15 years now and the bumper is riddled with stonechips.

Both options work and I'm being quoted about the same, $3-4K (insane). I drive a lot and have had many times where you cringe when something hits the car going down the 401. With all of the constant construction and resurfacing it is dangerous for car bodies. My dd's entire bumper is sand blasted and nicks and chips all over.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully this helps?

Cheers

Also, have you tried to track your vehicle on Global website yet. When the dealer gave me the VIN the boat was 1 day out of Halifax.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the input. I am still on the fence about the two options, but any little bit of experience or input helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut
Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully this helps?

Cheers

Also, have you tried to track your vehicle on Global website yet. When the dealer gave me the VIN the boat was 1 day out of Halifax.
no I tried a couple of vin decoders but nothing shows up
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Would there be many instances of big rock chips in Halifax? I lived there for 8 yrs while in school and traffic is pretty tame...truck wise compared to say gta 401! I live in similar size city now in ontario and got my stone chips on current 2 series from traveling 401 and all the big trucKS. I am getting m2 arriving very soon due in Halifax on 14th the shipped up here. I debated doing ppf but since leasing this keeping 3 yrs I'm not doing ppf..just paint sealent. I'm just going on my driving habits and the small amt of chips on current 2 series I've had for 3 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut
Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully this helps?

Cheers

no I tried a couple of vin decoders but nothing shows up
Have you tried this link?

https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?fra...uickSearchPage

Put your vin # in cargo window and track.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
Would there be many instances of big rock chips in Halifax? I lived there for 8 yrs while in school and traffic is pretty tame...truck wise compared to say gta 401! I live in similar size city now in ontario and got my stone chips on current 2 series from traveling 401 and all the big trucKS. I am getting m2 arriving very soon due in Halifax on 14th the shipped up here. I debated doing ppf but since leasing this keeping 3 yrs I'm not doing ppf..just paint sealent. I'm just going on my driving habits and the small amt of chips on current 2 series I've had for 3 yrs.
I like outside of town, commuting in on the 100 series highways. My 135i did not get any huge rock chips, but has scattered small ones across the nose. Not sure PPF will fully protect you from "big" rock chips, but I imagine it would all but eliminate the accumulated small ones. But then, a quick trip to the paint shop every few years would do that as well and may cost less. As you can see I am still waffling.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I like outside of town, commuting in on the 100 series highways. My 135i did not get any huge rock chips, but has scattered small ones across the nose. Not sure PPF will fully protect you from "big" rock chips, but I imagine it would all but eliminate the accumulated small ones. But then, a quick trip to the paint shop every few years would do that as well and may cost less. As you can see I am still waffling.
I'm going back and forth still too...I'm thinking the same thing, just repaint if it gets really bad.

My current daily driver has a big stone chip on the metal hood, which has been there for 5+ years and I can see orange rust where the stone got down to the metal, but for some reason it hasn't spread at all.

But yeah, I agree with you that PPF for 3-4k is crazy crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

If its your daily driver, it is worth it. Just have it done, and never have to worry about a potential rock chip.
      03-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #13
Caper-1
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

How much do you think a repaint will cost, and if your only doing certain sections such as the hood will it match? My preferance has always been leave the original paint. This is my first experience using a protection film I'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried this link?

Put your vin # in cargo window and track.
It actually just started production Mar. 11. So no info on it's way yet. Pretty excited to see the build in the VIN decoder though!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #15
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

PPF and Coatings

Quote:

I think if you go ahead and get the PPF, I think you will look back on it as one of your best upgrades and expenses. That's just my two cents. Topping that with a coating is the icing on the proverbial cake. Price is relative to the peace of mind you will have. Find a great installer of both and trust them.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

I agree the PPF is a good investment. Both my cars have it. I had my prior car for 5 years and the PPF kept it from having any chips. Paint was flawless.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #17
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Quote:

I think if you go ahead and get the PPF, I think you will look back on it as one of your best upgrades and expenses. That's just my two cents. Topping that with a coating is the icing on the proverbial cake. Price is relative to the peace of mind you will have. Find a great installer of both and trust them.

Bruce
I just smile every time I looke at my car and wonder why it looks brand new?! Then I remember i had ppf installed on the whole front end lol
      03-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #18
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

I had my PPF done a couple weeks into ownership. Peace of mind to know the car is properly protected. Got it done along with ceramic tint for less than 2k. I think it's worth the investment if you will be keeping the car a long time. I've also seen samples of cars done with Xpel vs Suntek. Xpel is a thicker film and will offer more protection. However Suntek is easier for the installer to apply and it looks like that surface was freshly waxed, looks incredible. I went with the latter option as a result as it's completely invisible. Protection I went with, and what I'd recommend would be full front (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, trunk deck, rockers.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #19
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:

Just been to visit mine yesterday, watched it getting done by the guys at WrapStyle here in the Czech republic.

they use this, http://www.optic-shield.com/

i believe this is actually they're own product however having felt it in my hand its really really thick like i tried to stretch it and it was impossible, he told me that once the bra gets to a temp of 65 degrees Celsius it automatically heals any tear so basically if you have a tear, get a kettle heat it up and pour it over.

fantastic technology! feel very privileged to be able to call upon technology like this and never worry about stone chips again!.

for me this stuff is a no brainer, i am getting the whole car done not just the front especially since behind the rear tyres is a hotspot for bits of tarmac which make those annoying black sports and stones.

i would only advise you to do the same, this technology is brilliant.

( Excuse the Writing i do get rather over excited sometimes )
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
D CHOI580.00
pmilani43.50
      03-30-2017, 01:48 AM   #20
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm also going from a RSX to this car! Almost 16 years! LMK your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #21
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
I'm also going from a RSX to this car! Almost 16 years! LMK your thoughts.
Yeah, bought mine and picked it up on April Fools day back in 2002. So far got 256,000km on it. It's still great, but wanted something new after 15 years.
I'll let you know my thoughts when I get my M2 in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #22
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

I have 3M Pro with Glass Pro coating on it. IMHO, the 3M is well worth the money. Most of you talk about stone chips, but other than chips, I have had minor scratches from other cars or shopping carts that just rubs off from the film. The self-healing feature is real. Yes it's true that you can probably spend the same money and repaint it from time to time, but for me, I hate bringing my car to a body shop. Waste of time and always worry if they will take it out for a joy ride or coming back with more random scratches.

It all comes down to your OCD level. If you don't mind stone chips/scratches here and there, then don't bother. Have it repainted when you feel the need. I've gone through that route and I've always had problems with the new layer of paint being very brittle, and once I get my first ding, it would bug the hell out of me until I get it done again. My OCD level is quite high, so it is a must for me. The extra coating is mainly for the shine and doesn't really add much protection. Merely saves me some time from wash and waxing.
Appreciate 0