F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Life in the 440i GC - a quick review.
Extreme Powerhouse

03-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Worzey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i + F36 440i MPPSK

Life in the 440i GC - a quick review.

Sorry for the long review but I didn't have time to write a short one. I'm now a few months and miles into 440i ownership so here are my initial impressions.

I collected the 440GC on Christmas Eve thanks to my dealer bending over backwards to get me the car in time for Christmas. That said, opportunities to drive the car over the feastivities were limited. In fact I think I might have had the longest running in period in history.

It took me over two months to reach 1,200 miles. Limited use at Christmas, trips to Austin, Denver and then an enforced 10 day lay-off due to a badly sprained ankle meant the car remained unused for prolonged periods. However, the car now has 1,600 miles under its wheels and is loosening up nicely.

I hadn't intended buying a 440GC. I came within a whisker of buying an M6 GC Competition to replace my Audi A7 but I couldn't reach a deal with the dealer on the £70k asking price for a 6 month old car. Who needs 600bhp anyway?

What I did need was something big enough to carry the family but also stylish and fun. My wife recently purchased a Fiesta ST3 MP215 (aka the orangeroller skate) so my ride needed to have 4 doors and a sensible boot.

A few days after passing on the M6 I saw another 6 series in the window of my local dealer so stopped in for a quick look. Two hours later I'd done a deal on a brand new, fully loaded 440GC (Tanzanite Blue, full Opal leather) with MPPSK. Only options left unticked were the pano sunroof (which I now regret) and heated rear seats. I ended up with a car that sounded like the M6, wasn't noticeably slower (at sensible speeds) and over £20k still in my pocket. The wait for deliver was awful.

The 440GC doesn't come close to the M6 or A7 in build quality. The full leather dash does lift the interior but the quality, fit and finish is poor when compared to th Audi. I know it's not a fair comparison especially as the Audi is a class or two above but the 4 series but the BMW feels cheap and lower rent.

Dynamically the BMW is streets ahead. It's smooth, fast and handles much better. The Audi was a comfortable ride and the 4WD clung on admirably in winter weather but the floaty nature and ever-present understeer never satisfied me in the way the BMW does. While I didn't spend too much time driving the M6, I think I would struggle to have much more fun than the 440GC without losing by licence. The M6 is so accomplished I'd never get close to it's limits on the road. On a track I'm sure it's amazing but I've a Caterham R400 for when I want real driving dynamics.

If you're thinking of getting the the MPPSK do it! The noise is addictive and the power delivery and torque feels so smooth. It's a rapid car. Sport is my default mode and I always get out with a smile on my face. Be aware, it's not for shrinking violets, the noise draws lots of attention! I decided against the MP bodykit as I like the Q-car looks, also, Tanzanite blue with the chrome decals looks pretty amazing especially when the sun shines or parked under a street light. Pictures don't do this colour justice.

The adaptive LED lights are amazing. Had them on the Audi and wouldn't be without, they throw out so much light. It's a bit disconcerting when full beam remains on most of the time but other drives don't flash and you can see the lights dancing as they constantly change beam patterns. Just dont use them in fog!

Adaptive cruise control is great. Makes cruising a please on the motorway. Only thing I dislike is it's tendency to undertake middle lane hogs. Not the cars fault but highlights why these drivers are a PITA!

Despite many negative comments I actually like the HK stereo. I had the B&O in an old A5 which was fab. The Bose in the A7 sucked and I never got the sound I wanted because it always sounded hollow. The HK is excellent when you finally get the settings right so take some time to play and enjoy.

Economy is okay. Averaging around 30mpg and have seen 44mpg on a steady run to Oxford. Not bad at all for a 355bhp car. The M6 would have been ruinous!

Things I love:
  • Adaptive LED headlights
  • Adjustable dampers
  • Full leather dash
  • Head-up display
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Heated steering wheel (better than ever expected)
  • Hardon Kardon (once you've played with the settings)
  • Birdseye parking cameras
  • MPPSK
  • RWD

Things I don't:
  • IDrive is too fiddly
  • Apple CarPlay (why did I bother!)
  • Folding mirrors (should do it by default, will need to code later.)
  • Park assist (it's far too slow, much faster and easier to do it myself)
  • Opal with leather looks amazing but what a pain to keep clean! Sadle brown next time.
  • Black panel display. Cheap, what a shocker!

Things I miss:
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • Audi used to list distance to next service stations
  • Trip computer (and operation) was so much better
  • Head-up display on the Audi contained less info but was easier to see
  • 4WD in the winter

My toys:
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
Ti Rich309.50
Ss66346.00
gr4z1135.00
Riffs144.50
PJJD101.00
BMWSKI167.00
      03-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Great review and agree with a lot of things. I have the sunroof and although it isn't panoramic in the GC it's still a great feature for me. Much more light and love it open on a spring or summer day and evening.
      03-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Very nice write up, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Great write up. The 40i continues to improve, so more treats ahead.
But, I do wish people would stop singing the praises of the MPSP... I'm trying not to want it...
      03-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Riffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GTS. Previous - 440i GC

Great review! And may I congratulate you on your colour choice.

Can I ask what aspects of the fit and finish weren't you happy with? I can't really fault mine in terms of build quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Riffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
Great review and agree with a lot of things. I have the sunroof and although it isn't panoramic in the GC it's still a great feature for me. Much more light and love it open on a spring or summer day and evening.
I just had it open! Spring is here yaaaay!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
Worzey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffs View Post
Great review! And may I congratulate you on your colour choice.

Can I ask what aspects of the fit and finish weren't you happy with? I can't really fault mine in terms of build quality.
Don't get me wrong, the build quality is good, just not as good as on the A7 or an M6. Compared to the Fiesta it's awesome.

It's simple things that stand out like the paper thin plastic cover on the cup holders, general feel of the plastics and solidity of switch gear etc. For example, the glovebox feels a bit wobbly and the arm rest not quite up to the same standard as the Audi. A lack of cubbyholes is also a minor irritation but the A7 was a much, much larger car.

It's not all bad, the gear-change paddles are much nicer than the A7 and as said earlier the full leather dash makes the world of difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Worzey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Great write up. The 40i continues to improve, so more treats ahead.
But, I do wish people would stop singing the praises of the MPSP... I'm trying not to want it...
Only way to stop wanting it is to buy it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Riffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worzey View Post
Don't get me wrong, the build quality is good, just not as good as on the A7 or an M6. Compared to the Fiesta it's awesome.

It's simple things that stand out like the paper thin plastic cover on the cup holders, general feel of the plastics and solidity of switch gear etc. For example, the glovebox feels a bit wobbly and the arm rest not quite up to the same standard as the Audi. A lack of cubbyholes is also a minor irritation but the A7 was a much, much larger car.

It's not all bad, the gear-change paddles are much nicer than the A7 and as said earlier the full leather dash makes the world of difference.
Yeah, full leather dash is essential. Improves it significantly. The plastic looks shite and the brushed aluminium I had in me old 5 series was utterly wank so piano black or similar ind. trim raises it a bit more - imo.

Have fun and enjoy it! It's a cracking motor you got there.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

The sunroof is very important - that's why I always opt for "extra large"
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
Wagstafari
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335d Xdrive

After reading this I'm really starting to get excited about my imminent 440i GC which should be delivered next Monday !!!

Would have loved to add the MPPK but it's a PCP so maybe next time.

Glad I've ordered a good spec on mine

Proof will be in the pudding once I take delivery. Tho, I've not missed my 335d at all !

Wag

Sold - 2014 F30 335d xDrive M Sport / Alpine White / MPerformance Rear Spoiler / MPerformance Black Grills / Adaptive Suspension / M Sport Breaking / Reversing Camera / Folding Auto Dipping Mirrors / Sun Protection Glass / Adaptive Headlights / 19" M 442M Alloys / Pro Nav Media Package / Sunroof / Heated Memory Dakotas / High Gloss Interior Trim / High Gloss Shadowline / Xenons /
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Wagstafari
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335d Xdrive

After reading this I'm really starting to get excited about my imminent 440i GC which should be delivered next Monday !!!

Would have loved to add the MPPK but it's a PCP so maybe next time.

Glad I've ordered a good spec on mine

Proof will be in the pudding once I take delivery. Tho, I've not missed my 335d at all !

Wag

Sold - 2014 F30 335d xDrive M Sport / Alpine White / MPerformance Rear Spoiler / MPerformance Black Grills / Adaptive Suspension / M Sport Breaking / Reversing Camera / Folding Auto Dipping Mirrors / Sun Protection Glass / Adaptive Headlights / 19" M 442M Alloys / Pro Nav Media Package / Sunroof / Heated Memory Dakotas / High Gloss Interior Trim / High Gloss Shadowline / Xenons /
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Nice to see a proper car there...and your 440i

Enjoyed your write-up. Glad to hear you're enjoying your x40i, especially with the (essential) MPPSK. No get out there and get some miles under her wheels!
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #14
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagstafari View Post
After reading this I'm really starting to get excited
So excited you posted twice!
Appreciate 0