E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Too much BOOST???

03-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
mister37
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Question Too much BOOST???

I was trying to find what was the cause of my radiator fan turning on randomly, it turned out to be that the Water Pump/ Thermostat might be on its way out. While looking at different live gauges on the Carly app I came across the BOOST PRESSURE gauge. It showed over 50 hPa x 1000. The car was sitting idle for about 10 minutes after 30 minutes of city driving when I took the reading.

What does that mean? What other values should I look?

Also I am ordering the Water-pump cooling kit from FCP Euro for about $500. Any other place should I look?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
I'd see if you can change it from hPa to psi. That reading is about seven and a quarter psi, which is fine.

edit...and the waterpumps/thermostats are just wear items on these cars. Not generally anything wrong to make them fail. If this is the first replacement on an '08 then you're doing good.

Last edited by georgelb; 03-16-2017 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: things and stuff
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Yea, I got those same 2 codes (as most other people on here have). Def water pump. Which best to go ahead and replace thermostat as well. If it didn't give you a yellow "reduced power" light, followed by a red "pull your A$$ over" light.....consider yourself lucky. Usually there is no warning before it goes out and you are left stranded. I wouldn't recommend driving it anywhere until you get the pump and thermostat replaced. Mine was an 07 and JUST went out....so we were definitely on borrowed time as it was.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
fcp is a good place to buy the kit. can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty.
      03-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
mister37
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelb View Post
I'd see if you can change it from hPa to psi. That reading is about seven and a quarter psi, which is fine.

edit...and the waterpumps/thermostats are just wear items on these cars. Not generally anything wrong to make them fail. If this is the first replacement on an '08 then you're doing good.
Okay, I will spend some more time to find the psi gauge. Are there any other useful readings that I should look to check the condition of the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker020 View Post
Yea, I got those same 2 codes (as most other people on here have). Def water pump. Which best to go ahead and replace thermostat as well. If it didn't give you a yellow "reduced power" light, followed by a red "pull your A$$ over" light.....consider yourself lucky. Usually there is no warning before it goes out and you are left stranded. I wouldn't recommend driving it anywhere until you get the pump and thermostat replaced. Mine was an 07 and JUST went out....so we were definitely on borrowed time as it was.
Honestly speaking, first time I heard the radiator fan running full speed was about a month ago. I started researching the issue, did the water-pump test and it was working fine. The radiator fan turns-on at low speed as soon as I turn the heat on, so I've been driving without heat in 10-20F weather I have been driving like a granny since and the limp-mode hasn't showed up yet.
Do you think driving in these conditions can hurt the engine (over-heat etc. etc.)? If someone can please shed some light on this, it would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
I would be replacing the pump and t-stat ASAP, you obviously have an issue if you can't turn the heat on without the engine trying to protect itself. if the pump fails completely, you will also be looking at a tow bill.

As far as the boost gauge in carly goes, at idle, you will not read any boost pressure. it will be a vacuum. so at idle you want to be looking at vacuum to make sure it is reading vacuum. and if you want to confirm what the actual readings are, get a manual vacuum/pressure gauge and plug it into the port for the diverter valves.
      03-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

FCP is where you want to buy it. When it fails again in the future, you get a new water pump for free. Think of FCP parts as the last part you'll ever buy.

I have no idea if this counts for oil and fluids...Hmmmm...
Appreciate 0