F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Found out my car was in an accident..
ARMA SPEED

03-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Exclamation Found out my car was in an accident..

So to start off, I bought my 2014 335xi GT in November from a reputable local dealer in MD which was rated in the excellence awards by BMW NA this year. I was originally looking on Manheim for a good deal but came across this vehicle for around the same price as auction and upon inspection seemed like a clean car and good purchase. The car had a clean CarFax, and was CPO'd by BMW.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, I had my car on a lift and noticed the front bumper had been repainted in some spots. I assumed this was due to some curb scrapes and minor incidents, so I brushed it off and minuscule.

Now a week ago, I had my car dynoed and was informed of some not so great information about my car from somebody who's been around these models for the past 20 years.

1) There had been a previously cleared code from the airbag system most likely related to either the bumper being removed without the battery disconnected, or an actual airbag going off.

2) The entire front side of the car had been repainted, see pictures below for proof.

3) The accident was more severe than I thought because the body panels now have uneven gaps on each side.

4) The driver's door does not close properly upon close inspection.

So here's my dilemma, I was under the impression from the dealership that nothing was wrong with the vehicle, and that they had performed a full check up to ensure this.

I do not know if the price was so attractive because they knew of these faults and decided not to disclose them to me, or if it was simply a good deal for an unwanted vehicle (given that is was a GT).

I am wondering what the best course of action would be, and if anyone has ever experienced something like this. I am not comfortable knowing this as it will affect resale in the future, and might cause issues with the car mechanically down the road. I am wondering if it is too much to request a buy back from the dealership, considering it has only been 4months since the purchase.

Link for all images:
View post on imgur.com

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Deleted

Last edited by obert; 03-16-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Did you do a car fax?
he stated that in the first line of his post
      03-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
he stated that in the first line of his post
LOL sorry I read right over that.

I would go back to the dealer and show them all the stuff and go from there.

I bought a Subaru not long ago and started to find things wrong with it. Same thing clean car fax and dealer said nothing about the repairs and it was CPO.

They did nothing for me so I dumped the car and bought a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
LOL sorry I read right over that.

I would go back to the dealer and show them all the stuff and go from there.

I bought a Subaru not long ago and started to find things wrong with it. Same thing clean car fax and dealer said nothing about the repairs and it was CPO.

They did nothing for me so I dumped the car and bought a BMW.
yeah I would certainly explore all possibilities, however I bet that carfax has some sort of disclaimer somewhere regarding how they declare a car "clean"
      03-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
If you bought this car at a BMW dealer and it was CPO'd you HAVE to take it back and make them either take the vehicle back and refund you your money or REPAINT everything and fix the body panels as well.

I would not keep the car if they at least don't do the latter. Matter of fact, I would hire a lawyer if they don't do either scenario I listed above.
Appreciate 1
GTBrandon260.00
      03-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
TrustButVerify
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M, 2013 335ih

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
So to start off, I bought my 2014 335xi GT in November from a reputable local dealer in MD which was rated in the excellence awards by BMW NA this year. I was originally looking on Manheim for a good deal but came across this vehicle for around the same price as auction and upon inspection seemed like a clean car and good purchase. The car had a clean CarFax, and was CPO'd by BMW.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, I had my car on a lift and noticed the front bumper had been repainted in some spots. I assumed this was due to some curb scrapes and minor incidents, so I brushed it off and minuscule.

Now a week ago, I had my car dynoed and was informed of some not so great information about my car from somebody who's been around these models for the past 20 years.

1) There had been a previously cleared code from the airbag system most likely related to either the bumper being removed without the battery disconnected, or an actual airbag going off.

2) The entire front side of the car had been repainted, see pictures below for proof.

3) The accident was more severe than I thought because the body panels now have uneven gaps on each side.

4) The driver's door does not close properly upon close inspection.

So here's my dilemma, I was under the impression from the dealership that nothing was wrong with the vehicle, and that they had performed a full check up to ensure this.

I do not know if the price was so attractive because they knew of these faults and decided not to disclose them to me, or if it was simply a good deal for an unwanted vehicle (given that is was a GT).

I am wondering what the best course of action would be, and if anyone has ever experienced something like this. I am not comfortable knowing this as it will affect resale in the future, and might cause issues with the car mechanically down the road. I am wondering if it is too much to request a buy back from the dealership, considering it has only been 4months since the purchase.

Link for all images:
View post on imgur.com
Run an Autocheck report as well. The BMW CPO process requires either report to pass certification, so if you can dig something up on Autocheck, you may have a solid case for buyback.

Do some investigation into any report entries that are cryptic, like "Vehicle Serviced". In another car I had the front end replaced on, this is what came up when a dealership did the repair work...most shops will give you a copy of the work order you give them your VIN.

It's a long shot, but call your insurance company and see if they can find anything on your VIN. Some insurance companies share information, and they're usually the source that feeds the CarFax/Autocheck reports.

Lastly, Google search your VIN number. You may be surprised in what you find, like an entry on a public police report.
Appreciate 0