E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What to look for on a used 328xi

03-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
FDCle
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed3

What to look for on a used 328xi

Hi everyone, I'm looking at picking up a single owner 328xi with a manual transmission and 75k miles. I've been trying to do some research on common issues / problems and all I've found is the stock RFTs are garbage and the water pump is known to go bad somewhere around 100k miles. Are there any other issues I should check out when I test drive the car? Any input would be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
d6lc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Mine had an oscillating drone at 50mph, 2011 60k miles, BMW ended up replacing the wheels bearings, rear diff and rear axles under CPO.
My PS lines also blew one day, again CPO.
Also had to get the wheels straightened, they are soft and dent easily with the rock hard RFT's.
Check the coils were replaced, there was a service bulletin.
Also if it's an auto has the tranny oil been changed
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Oil leaks, Oil leaks, Oil leaks.

Ask if the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket has been replaced. If not, they will need to be replaced soon. VCG is a PITA to do, but diy-able. OPG is a PITA times 10, not really diy-able unless you have the appropriate tools such as an engine support bar and you're ok with dropping your subframe. OFHG too, but that's a pretty easy diy with a good set of tools.

Another thing is the starter. Starters usually go out around that mileage or soon to go out. Find out if it has been replaced. PITA to get to as you have to remove the intake manifold to get to it. Maybe alternator, but you should be good as they last quite a while.

Check the belts, tensioner and idler pulley. Fairly cheap and easily replaceable though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The biggest things in my opinion with those cars are the water pumps and leaks. Check for oil leaks. The main ones are the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and the oil pan. The oil pan is the most expensive/labor intensive.

Service records are a plus as well.

At 75k miles, you might want to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner, which is $150 in parts if you can DIY. Ask them if the battery has been replaced.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Man....I would stay away from this car unless you are mechanically inclined and you get maintenance records with many common issues already repaired and then still get a PPI.
Paying garage or dealer to fix these cars is ridiculously expensive because they have so many things go on them.
Either way GL Op.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
HerrGruyere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

I bought an '07 328xi wagon with a manual transmission and 119K on the clock. The car had coils and spark plugs done beforehand with a nice set of Bridgestones on it which are not RFTs.

The only things I've replaced are the front and rear brakes, battery, rear shocks and shock mounts, and the tensioner pulley - and that one was only because I thought it was going bad. Other than that, it's just normal maintenance. I've probably spent less than $1,000 keeping it running for two years.

These cars - if well-maintained - are good! I'd check for obvious fluid leaks from the cooling system, and then check for leaks around the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and the oil pan gasket. Listen, the oil pan gasket will one day leak and that's okay. It's a huge repair for a relatively small leak. The other two gaskets are easy to do yourself. Frankly, this car is really easy to work on. Just get yourself a good set of tools. And yes, you can go to Harbor Freight for small things - just make sure your torque wrench is a reputable brand.

Check suspension components like the control arms. They are probably going to go bad soon if they haven't already.

Get yourself a scanner or someone who can read the car's codes for you. A crappy laptop with a cable is invaluable. Check out the coding section. Since your car is older, you should have no problem using an eBay cable.

That about covers it. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
There's a simple answer. Stop looking at 328i's. Get a car worth driving like a 335i or an e92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
There's a simple answer. Stop looking at 328i's. Get a car worth driving like a 335i or an e92 M3.
You're on your way to being a great monk!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
agent
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
get a PPI
This x1000. I had a PPI done on a 328i I thought I was going to buy, and it needed $2500 worth of work right away - that didn't include the (unmentioned) cosmetic issues. The seller saying "if it needed anything at all I had the guys at <insert shop name here> just take care of it" did not accurately represent the condition of the car.

That car was three hours from me, though the money I spent taking a whole day to get it looked over thoroughly - and not buying it - ended up saving me thousands.

Also, where's the "dislike post" button?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
Because we all know that the 335 is THE BESTEST car in the whole entire world - why BMW chooses to make any other model car in their lineup is beyond me
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDCle View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking at picking up a single owner 328xi with a manual transmission and 75k miles. I've been trying to do some research on common issues / problems and all I've found is the stock RFTs are garbage and the water pump is known to go bad somewhere around 100k miles. Are there any other issues I should check out when I test drive the car? Any input would be great!
You should check the tires for uneven wear, because it shows signs of suspension wear (or alignment). 75K - the shocks may have been replaced, might be due soon. Check windows up and down, door locks work, seatbelt butler works (on coupe, if that matters to you).

Has the prior owner kept service records? If they have a good history of things, you can have a better idea of how it may have been maintained.

If it has iDrive (or even if not), you can check the service menu to look at the intervals for certain items like spark plugs (100K item typically), brakes, brake fluid flush, air filters. etc. You should look up the owner's manual online or do a search on the forum for this.

You could also plug in the VIN (if you have it) to mycarfax.com, which will show state records like inspections, but sometimes service centers also list work done. You might also be able to go to BMW with the VIN but I've heard they may or may not give you dealer service records if you do not own the car.
Appreciate 0