BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin PSS Star vs no star

03-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
spiderman1982
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550x Drive

Michelin PSS Star vs no star

What is the difference between a Michelin PSS non-star and a Michelin PSS star? Is the rubber compound different or is it just the tread width that is different? I can't believe that a Michelin made for a Porsche is less sticky or more sticky than one made for a BMW. The tire made of the Porsche, same size of course, is wider than the one made for the BMW.
Appreciate 2
Mr 294.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
stripecheck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman1982 View Post
What is the difference between a Michelin PSS non-star and a Michelin PSS star? Is the rubber compound different or is it just the tread width that is different? I can't believe that a Michelin made for a Porsche is less sticky or more sticky than one made for a BMW. The tire made of the Porsche, same size of course, is wider than the one made for the BMW.
Long winded but kind of explains....

Lots of manufacturers have their own special hallmark they put on the tires they assist in development. Bentley has a "B". Porsche has N0. Ferraris put a K or something like that on theirs. Bimmers get a star. Are they really any different? Maybe, maybe not but as long as the size is the right size they ought to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Truth is, no one outside of BMW knows. Most of the time it doesn't appear that BMW makes big changes. However, if you look at the Corvette version of the PSS, I think they might be a more aggressive tire. They have a lot of reports of cracking in low temps which I haven't seen with the normal or BMW PSS.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

I'm reviving this, because I'm hoping someone has a better answer. Because I'm a little dumfounded right now.

Long story short, I had to replace my right rear tire after only 800 miles. Went to the dealership to have them replace the tire and assumed that the tire would be a PSS with a BMW Star on it. Long story short, It's not. In fact it has "MO" on it, which I found out is Mercedes. I've been doing a bit of research in Michelin's site and it appears the BMW Star version weighs in at 26.2lbs vs the Mercedes one weighing in at 24.8. To me that tells me there's something in the BMW PSS that's different.

Initally I wasn't going to fret over it much, but I'm going to have to say otherwise. It's basically like running a different tire on the wheel.

Take a look at the table: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...tail-sku-table
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I'm reviving this, because I'm hoping someone has a better answer. Because I'm a little dumfounded right now.

Long story short, I had to replace my right rear tire after only 800 miles. Went to the dealership to have them replace the tire and assumed that the tire would be a PSS with a BMW Star on it. Long story short, It's not. In fact it has "MO" on it, which I found out is Mercedes. I've been doing a bit of research in Michelin's site and it appears the BMW Star version weighs in at 26.2lbs vs the Mercedes one weighing in at 24.8. To me that tells me there's something in the BMW PSS that's different.

Initally I wasn't going to fret over it much, but I'm going to have to say otherwise. It's basically like running a different tire on the wheel.

Take a look at the table: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...tail-sku-table
Tread design (e.g. wider water channels), tread & section width, compound, weight, etc. might all be different. It's not like it's just a marketing gimmick, at least for those high-performance models.

I'm just surprised a BMW dealership has not installed a BMW-approved tire.
      05-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I'm just surprised a BMW dealership has not installed a BMW-approved tire.
You and I both. I specifically went to BMW because they said they had it in stock and so I would receive an OEM tire for the car and specifically asked the Parts department if it was the OEM tire for the M2. I got unamaous "yes's" the whole way around. I could have just ordered the tire from TireRack and had the correct tire mounted on the car by now.

I'm in the midst of having the discussion with the dealership. Yesterday I had the run around that "its the same tire, the tire with the part number we use, its the tire we get from the distributor, etc. etc."

Well, you're distributor is messing up.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
You and I both. I specifically went to BMW because they said they had it in stock and so I would receive an OEM tire for the car and specifically asked the Parts department if it was the OEM tire for the M2. I got unamaous "yes's" the whole way around. I could have just ordered the tire from TireRack and had the correct tire mounted on the car by now.

I'm in the midst of having the discussion with the dealership. Yesterday I had the run around that "its the same tire, the tire with the part number we use, its the tire we get from the distributor, etc. etc."

Well, you're distributor is messing up.
I would like to see the difference between MO1 and *. Someone over at F80Post has posted photos of the two tires together, but they were different sizes.

Another confirmation that dealers are just clueless.