BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TR rims with 265 Star Specs wheel vibration

03-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

TR rims with 265 Star Specs wheel vibration

I took my new track wheels for a test run before my upcoming track day and I had some very noticeable vibrations above 50 mph. It didn't seem to get worse with higher speeds. I am running 5mm spacers from Turner as the clearance seems very close. I did my best to properly torque the wheels. I'm planning to pull the spacers off tomorrow and see what happens. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #2
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Assuming the wheels were properly balanced after the tires were mounted, my guess would be the spacers taking up too much of the lip on the center of the hub and there's not enough lip left to center the wheel. You should know after you remove them if the vibration goes away.

I'd go with no spacers or thick enough spacers to have a hub extender.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRufo View Post
I took my new track wheels for a test run before my upcoming track day and I had some very noticeable vibrations above 50 mph. It didn't seem to get worse with higher speeds. I am running 5mm spacers from Turner as the clearance seems very close. I did my best to properly torque the wheels. I'm planning to pull the spacers off tomorrow and see what happens. Ideas?
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec Tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec Tires?
Yes. I took the spacers off and I'll run the same stretch of road to see if it changes.
Autox tomorrow - will be a good shake down before the big track.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRufo View Post
Yes. I took the spacers off and I'll run the same stretch of road to see if it changes.
Autox tomorrow - will be a good shake down before the big track.
Just personal experience with star specs. Great autox tires, but thats it.
On my old GTI the high speed vibration was there. Did a bunch of research and apparently there's something to do with the tread pattern of the tire. As air passes through the tire at high speed vibration is induced.

Fixed it by switching to PSS...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
Just personal experience with star specs. Great autox tires, but thats it.
On my old GTI the high speed vibration was there. Did a bunch of research and apparently there's something to do with the tread pattern of the tire. As air passes through the tire at high speed vibration is induced.

Fixed it by switching to PSS...
That's good to know!
I usually run r1's or nto1's. I didn't want too sticky of a tire for the first few track days. I want to get a good feel for the car before I start throwing parts at it. I'm thinking the stock suspension won't be able to handle R comp tires.
Thanks - I appreciate the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Mine wobbles because all the glue for the weights melted off from the track. It flung the weights all over the place. Worst one was one that was caught between caliper and wheel. It left a mark all the way around the wheel. Good thing these are cheap!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dang! I'll be checking the weights between sessions. Thanks for the post!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Hey Guys, new member, but quick question.
You are running the TR Motorsport rims for M2 with an ET offset of 33 right?

My concerns, and I am saying this as trying to determine a problem...

Are tires properly balanced from the start? Or again?
I believe you need a bigger spacer with the TR Motorsport wheels provided by Keith. I have 10mm Macht Schnell spacers on front to clear. At least to say that wheel would sit the same distance from suspension with 9.5x18 ET33(ET23 with 10mm spacers) ...basically the distance of inner rim lip and shock is the same.

I put 265/35/18 Firestone Indy 500 on my M2 for track. Just to get a starting characteristic on track.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: I took the spacers off and still have the vibration. I'm going to have the wheels rebalanced.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS-397K View Post
Hey Guys, new member, but quick question.
You are running the TR Motorsport rims for M2 with an ET offset of 33 right?

My concerns, and I am saying this as trying to determine a problem...

Are tires properly balanced from the start? Or again?
I believe you need a bigger spacer with the TR Motorsport wheels provided by Keith. I have 10mm Macht Schnell spacers on front to clear. At least to say that wheel would sit the same distance from suspension with 9.5x18 ET33(ET23 with 10mm spacers) ...basically the distance of inner rim lip and shock is the same.

I put 265/35/18 Firestone Indy 500 on my M2 for track. Just to get a starting characteristic on track.
265/35 are designed to work without spacers. I put 5mm spacers on because it's damn close with Star Specs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Rudy@tirerack
Rep
Drives: rudy@tirerack.com

If you ever have a problem with the balance on a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack, please call into customer service! They will help you to find a quality shop in your area to get everything checked at and rebalanced. Most the time Tire Rack will reimburse you for the rebalance.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith@tirerack.com View Post
If you ever have a problem with the balance on a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack, please call into customer service! They will help you to find a quality shop in your area to get everything checked at and rebalanced. Most the time Tire Rack will reimburse you for the rebalance.
I'm not sure if these wheels are knurled or not, but my tires rotate on them quite a bit with the amount of wheel/tire lube that was used by TR.

See pics. I marked them before I went to the track. I also spit all the front wheel weights off. One of them caught on the caliper and made a nice etch all around the barrel of the wheel. Oops.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure if these wheels are knurled or not, but my tires rotate on them quite a bit with the amount of wheel/tire lube that was used by TR.

See pics. I marked them before I went to the track. I also spit all the front wheel weights off. One of them caught on the caliper and made a nice etch all around the barrel of the wheel. Oops.
Take 2 on pics. The IOS app is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #15
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Take 2 on pics. The IOS app is terrible.
Last attempt
Appreciate 0