E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > I am so angry now - first ding

04-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

I am so angry now - first ding

I have a first ding on my car (11 months old, 9 months since redelivery) and it is a pretty big one. I was parked near Marlow Furniture in Rockville, MD this Sunday, and there was a crappy old Civic on the spot next to me. I usually do not park next to cars in very bad shape, as when owners care for their own cars, chances are they would be reckless with property of others. but this time it was the only available spot, and it was damn cold.

So I am coming out of the climbing gym there (same building as marlows) and notice that dirt on my door is freshly disturbed. My initial guess was right - someone really slammed the door into mine. It was not just a ding but seleral lines of scratches and then a ding - like this:

--------||
--------||
======888
--------||
--------||

The lines represent clear-coat scratches and the 8th are where it is scratched through the paint to the primer. So apparently after slamming the door into mine the a-hole kept opening it wider. Metal is not deformed though.

I am so angry now. Does anyone know where this can be fixed? I will not try fixing it myself. It is not that bad, but visible from about 15 feet, so it bothers me enough.

If my car did not have 2mm of dirt on the door, it would probably have been a full door repaint. Which reminds me I need to find a car wash too. Does anyone know a touchless carwash around downtown DC or Rockville area? I'd go to David if I had more time - he does a good job, but it takes a while and there is nothing to do while waiting.

Thanks

Last edited by MaxL; 04-28-2008 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Scottz71
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F25 X3 - Space Grey

Garage List
some of the mobile ding repair guys do a pretty good job, but I would take it to a BMW dealership, and have their dent wizrd guy do it on site, and touch the paint up too...if you are truly anal about it...take it to a BMW center and have them re-do the entire door.

I got my first door ding/dent/scratch at 8 months and it really pissed me off too...just try to park as far away from everyone else as possible...good luck.
'07 E92 335i - Space Gray (Brock) retired
'15 i3 REx Giga World - Capparis White (Randy) retired
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
sucks!

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
dizzy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i premium/sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I have a first ding on my car (11 months old, 9 months since redelivery) and it is a pretty big one. I was parked near Marlow Furniture in Rockville, MD this Sunday, and there was a crappy old Civic on the spot next to me. I usually do not park next to cars in very bad shape, as when owners care for their own cars, chances are they would be reckless with property of others. but this time it was the only available spot, and it was damn cold.

So I am coming out of the climbing gym there (same building as marlows) and notice that dirt on my door is freshly disturbed. My initial guess was right - someone really slammed the door into mine. It was not just a ding but seleral lines of scratches and then a ding - like this:

--------||
--------||
======888
--------||
--------||

The lines represent clear-coat scratches and the 8th are where it is scratched through the paint to the primer. So apparently after slamming the door into mine the a-hole kept opening it wider. Metal is not deformed though.

I am so angry now. Does anyone know where this can be fixed? I will not try fixing it myself. It is not that bad, but visible from about 15 feet, so it bothers me enough.

If my car did not have 2mm of dirt on the door, it would probably have been a full door repaint. Which reminds me I need to find a car wash too. Does anyone know a touchless carwash around downtown DC or Rockville area? I'd go to David if I had more time - he does a good job, but it takes a while and there is nothing to do while waiting.

Thanks
I live in Rockville, it sucks that the roads a bad... and on top of that sometimes you just can't find parking, so you are you're forced to park near big trucks or older cars who's owners don't give a shit. I'm pretty much waiting for something like this to happen to my car...
As far as the carwash? Do it yourself if you don't want your car to get fu**ed up. I swear people don't care, period!
It sucks. Sorry, hope you get it fixed soon and with no problems
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

It's a lost cause.. you're bound to get dents and dings.. you'll drive yourself crazy if you think it's not going to happen..

paintless dent removal is the way to go.. i'm getting a few removed myself soon...

truth of the matter is.. even if you park next to nicer cars... a lot of them don't care either.. and when you park far away..some doosh always manages to park next to you anyway lol

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

got my first ding last week...my passenger did it...opened door into concrete wall...

meh, bound to happen...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine335TT View Post
paintless dent removal is the way to go..
But my problem is that paint is scratched off the door - the metal itself is not deformed. So it is not going to work for me? Or is it some polishing method that does not require touch-up paint? I have no clue about such things as on my last car I did not fix them at all for few years and then did a complete repaint (it saved about a grand compared to fixing each chip and scratch individually).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

you could try buffing it first.. if scratch isn't deep..it may just come right out..

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I got my first ding in the garage of my own condo, done by the lady with the same car that parks next to me every day. My car is less than 2 months old.

I see this woman every day, she knows I have a new car, knows I try to park far from her, yet she just does not care. People just have no respect for cars in general
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
f82phan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

^^ I'd pimp smack her
      05-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

My car made it 13 months before it got the first scratch. Then in the last four weeks some little bastard drew on it with a blue marker, a dick at work scratched it, someone hit it with a shopping cart in my parking garage and someone picked their nose and put the booger under the lip on the trunk... Just so you don't feel alone. 48 hours and counting and my car is enorute to the USA!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
makahama
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

I use Dent Professor, they are the best in the area, top class work, open every day call Cyprian www.dentprofessorinc.com
Appreciate 0