E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > So strange thing about my alarm install .... got a question for ya.

02-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

So strange thing about my alarm install .... got a question for ya.

I just finished up my alarm install ... and got off the phone with the a-hole SAs at my nearest dealer. They of course want to just do a complete software update instead of just setting the alarm activation. I'm sure either it's because a) they're stupid ... most likely; or b) they're going to charge me 2hrs labor for activation *and* charge BMW for the software upgrade labor ... might be.

So I'm standing there, and I decide to hit the lock button anyway. Whoa! Clown nose is blinking. Sweet. Hmm...wonder if the alarm actually works? Roll down a window, lock the car wait for the fast blink to go away and start waving my hand around. Screeeeeeech. Yup, alarm works.

--question part--
The *only* thing I'm missing is the menu item to be able to set audible locking/unlocking. Anybody think that if I were to pull power to the battery for a few hours and hook it back up that the computer would reset and have that show up? (I've got a post sept non-idrive able to program from the stalk car)

And then my next question is, how do I safely disconnect the battery without shocking the hell out of myself?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Hmm, my alarm did not go on after I installed it. I'm wondering if I did something wrong, although it was so straightforward, I cannot imagine what that would have been. The place I called also said they needed to do an update, which folks on this site say is entirely unnecessary. They were only going to charge me an hour's labor, though. I'd still hate to bring it in, have them charge me and then not have the alarm work.

As far as disconnecting the battery--didn't you disconnect it when you installed the alarm? Just disconnect the terminal.
      02-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
obLu
Major
Rep

Nope, didn't see any reason to disconnect the battery just to plug in a couple of wires.

Negative terminal or positive terminal ... what do I need to know so I don't shock myself?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
obLu
Major
Rep

Nevermind, I'm an idiot ... it's right there in the alarm DIY.
Appreciate 0