BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge Hockey (For those that play)

04-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Hockey (For those that play)

I played roller hockey from around age 13 to age 17/18.. I've been extremely bored lately and I'm looking to get back into it.
Since I can't find any roller hockey leagues around here via google, I've opted to try out some ice..

Trying to figure out what the best skates are performance/comfort wise..
I've read that GRAF has the best skates on the market it, but it's hard to weed out what to get since they have so many models..
I'm also looking at the Mission Fuel 120 AG's, but have read that they feel cheaply made..
Perhaps the GRAF Ultra G-5??

Thanks for any help and opinions, and I guess this can become a discussion about hockey equipment in general.

As far as all of the gear goes, looking at..
Mission Fuel 130 Gloves, Shoulder, elbow, and shin pads.
Mission Intake/Cascade CHX helmet.
Mission Fuel 120/RBK 9K pants.

-Nathan
      04-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
I played roller hockey from around age 13 to age 17/18.. I've been extremely bored lately and I'm looking to get back into it.
Since I can't find any roller hockey leagues around here via google, I've opted to try out some ice..

Trying to figure out what the best skates are performance/comfort wise..
I've read that GRAF has the best skates on the market it, but it's hard to weed out what to get since they have so many models..
I'm also looking at the Mission Fuel 120 AG's, but have read that they feel cheaply made..
Perhaps the GRAF Ultra G-5??

Thanks for any help and opinions, and I guess this can become a discussion about hockey equipment in general.

As far as all of the gear goes, looking at..
Mission Fuel 130 Gloves, Shoulder, elbow, and shin pads.
Mission Intake/Cascade CHX helmet.
Mission Fuel 120/RBK 9K pants.

-Nathan

I played ice for a couple of years. However, I was in net. The best thing you can do is find a good dealer in your area and go talk to those guys. Most of them play full time and can give you great advice. While there try some equipment on. What is right for one person may not be best for you.

Good luck, and enjoy the speed!!!

Cheers

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Find a good pro shop and try different skates on. They all fit differently. Do not skimp on the skates. I do not mean you need to buy pro stocks like Vapor XXXX's or 9K's but at least go high mid-range.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

I've played varsity ice hockey in high school and club here and there now. Sk8s all depend on you. I have Bauer 5000s that are baked to my feet. They worked great for me

as for the rest of the gear... Its all in style and comfort, can't help you. I've gone through dif shit over the yrs. But mission is pretty solid
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

What are your opinions on T-blades??

-Nathan
      04-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I started playing when I was 9 and played all through high school... and haven't touched the ice since.
I had Bauer 5000s all through HS and I loved them. Graf makes great skates, but they're pretty expensive (at least last time I looked they were). Definitely take the advice of the guys here and go talk to your local pro shop guys. Whatever you get, bake them to your feet. You'll be glad you did.
T-blades were still fairly new when I was playing so only a few guys had them in our league. I always thought they were pretty gay, but it sure would be nice to not have to get your blades sharpened all the time.
I was never really a fan of Mission in ice hockey. I know they were the cool brand in roller hockey, but I never liked their styles in ice. I had mostly CCM, Bauer, and VIC gloves- which were incredible.
Regardless.. whatever fits you the best and fits in your budget is what is best for you!
      04-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Played for a while. I'm still in the CCM 65xsomethings that I had baked in college. Love em. On my second set of steels and holders.

I've been very happy with my Easton elbow's and shoulders. I forget what gloves, I think.....I forget. My pants are Easton, held up very well. Shins are CCM, so is my helmet.

Don't skimp on the skates. You'll be miserable. Most people don't want to / can't do it, but I like to skate barefoot. I have much better feel that way, and it is very comfortable. My skates are lined with deer leather, makes a HUGE difference. They don't smell.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

LOL my buddies use to sk8 barefoot also. ROFL, I stick to got set of socks with my sk8s lol.

I like easton for equip. I've been through a few things. I can't remember the current shit I own, its at home and I haven't touched the ice for a year sadly. I'll be back at my rents in 2 weeks for a bit so can tell ya what I get later on lol.

For sticks, I had a graphite easton, i dont know which model. Its like 5 years old. I had a Kevlar stick once.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
kyle00
Rep
Drives: BMW e36

Like the others have said, don't skimp on the skates. They are very important. Many people have a misunderstanding of skates. The top end skates (such as the NikeBauer one90, Vapor XXXX, CCM Vector 10.0) are the stiffest skates on the market. They also provide the most protection, etc. but a super stiff skate is not what a beginner/intermediate skater needs.

In my opinion, a mid level skate is the best option. Look for something like the NikeBauer one50, one70, CCM vector 6.0, Easton S7, Mission Fuel 80-AG, etc. Graf's models are a little tricky. The different model nu,bers aren't representative of their level of skate. Each of their skates fits a different kind of foot which brings me to my next point...

DO NOT buy a skate because of it's looks. This is the biggest problem with people buying skates. Buy the skate that FITS you the best. Make sure your heel locks in, make sure you have enough volume in the skate for your foot, make sure the toe cap isn't too narrow, etc. A good pro shop will help you with all of this.

Check out www.modsquadhockey.com for some really grerat info on anything related to hockey
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
kyle00
Rep

Every hockey company makes good equipment, so don't let the company deter you from buying something. Graf is known to have really shitty customer service though. Personally, I like CCM/RBK (owned by the same company) and NikeBauer protective equipment. This is just a personal preference.

I use:
-CCM Pro stock NY Ranger pants
-NikeBauer 8500 helmet w/ Oakley Pro Straight visor
-NikeBauer XXX gloves
-CCM Vector 8.0 skates
-RBK 7k elbows
-Nike Bauer one90 shins
-RBK 7k pro stock stick, Warrior Dolomite stick
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

I recently had to buy new skates. I always had Tacks and liked them a lot. I have a big (skate - size 11), flat, wide (especially up front), and Tacks fit perfectly. Finding a new skate was hard, a lot of them are very narrow, and have high arches. Long story short, I bought one70's. I had them baked to my foot which helped break in a lot, took out the high pressure points. They fit like a glove. The boots are incredibly stiff as compared to the tacks, there is no give whatsoever. This took a while to get used to, but now that I am, I have to say, these skates are incredible. They are extremely lightweight as well which I like a lot. I've skated in them close to 5-6 times a week since I bought them in November, and I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase still..

Make sure to air skates out well after each game. Don't throw them in the bag and shut the bag.. They'll start to smell terrible and weigh a ton.

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
kyle00
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Make sure to air skates out well after each game. Don't throw them in the bag and shut the bag.. They'll start to smell terrible and weigh a ton.

Definitely do this. And take out your insole after skating and you'll see moisture on the bottom of it and on the footbed of your skate. Take a towel and dry this up immediately after skating, it'll help prevent your rivets rusting out. I take my insoles of the skate out, and put a fan on my gear for 24 hours, and then let everything air dry till i play again. Always unpack your gear from your bag and lay it out to dry.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #13
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

I prefer skating barefoot, but have found towards the end of games (or when I play double headers), it gets pretty wet and slippery within the skate. It becomes harder to skate IMO. So for socks, I bought a few sets of NikeBauer socks. They're pretty thin and come all the way up to your knee. Not too expensive either (8-9 bucks a pair). Happy with how they're working out..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I have Bauer Vapors, but I've had them for many years now. I don't even know what is good these days.

Don't worry too much about getting the top of the line skates, because while they help a little, the main thing is still you. You can always upgrade to something nicer once you're ready for it.
      04-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle00 View Post

Definitely do this. And take out your insole after skating and you'll see moisture on the bottom of it and on the footbed of your skate. Take a towel and dry this up immediately after skating, it'll help prevent your rivets rusting out. I take my insoles of the skate out, and put a fan on my gear for 24 hours, and then let everything air dry till i play again. Always unpack your gear from your bag and lay it out to dry.
+1 Get a hockey locker! I love that thing. All your stuff's right there, it takes up minimal space and your stuff dries quickly.

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I played - ankle injury took me out for months and I went back for part of a season, but had lost a step.

On the gear issue, buy at least midline gear. I pretty much bought one step under the top-of-the-line across the board. IIRC, I have a Bauer 5000 helmet with a ZLeader polycarbonate shield/metal cage, Easton shoulder pads, CCM pants (probably one of the best purchases I made), JOFA elbow pads, Bauer gloves, Bauer (top-of-the-line) shin guards, and Bauer Vapor skates(forget which ones). I have a set of Mission inlines for roller.

Graf skates are really good, but when I was in the market, they were pretty pricy. If you can afford them and they fit you best, get them, though. Even though the equipment won't make you a better player, skimping on it will only make getting hurt that much more likely.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
kyle00
Rep

Quote:
I prefer skating barefoot, but have found towards the end of games (or when I play double headers), it gets pretty wet and slippery within the skate. It becomes harder to skate IMO. So for socks, I bought a few sets of NikeBauer socks. They're pretty thin and come all the way up to your knee. Not too expensive either (8-9 bucks a pair). Happy with how they're working out..
+1

I skate in socks and the NikeBauer socks are nice. I never could skate barefoot, but that's just me
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
kyle00
Rep

Pants:

Sticks:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:

Not only the skates but your gloves as well.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #19
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Seeing the pic of the sticks reminded me that I hate composite sticks. Every one I've ever had has broken - and it usually happens at the worst possible time. My friggin Easton aluminum stick is practically bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #20
kyle00
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16 View Post
Seeing the pic of the sticks reminded me that I hate composite sticks. Every one I've ever had has broken - and it usually happens at the worst possible time. My friggin Easton aluminum stick is practically bulletproof.
I never had many problems with them

I do have a couple of 2 piece composites that i like better than a 1 piece composite though. Those aluminum shafts are hard to break
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
CATAHOULA
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Coming

If you can't get a good, consistent sharpening in Houston on a regular basis, get the T-Blades. (When I lived in Austin I had a tough time getting a good sharpening... we got a few more hockey shops here in Alberta ;-)

Buy waxed laces for your skates if you like a tight fit - and put them in before your heat-melt.

All skates fit different, and some are geared more for D-men, etc. - buy solely on fit not on brand or looks, etc. If you're a big guy, buy a stiffer skate as it will last longer. (If you're small, too stiff is not good.)

When in doubt, choose light gear. I wear 10 year old used shoulder pads just 'cause all the new ones are huge and heavy. A good composite stick, although more $$, should last longer if you take care of it (assuming you don't have a shot like pronger ;-).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #22
rwwong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 Jeep Hemi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have the Graf Supra G9s. It's a great skate, expensive but great. You may find a few online shops selling them on clearance. I think they are discontinued. Regular priced at around $650, you should be able to find them for around $350. Graf makes a great boot, the most comfortable skate I've ever worn. If you have wide and tall feet, it's the skate for you. If Jagr can wear them, they must be good right?

Mission is also great, can't go wrong.