E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > any other recommended parts

05-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

finally going to do my trans fluid change and want to make sure I have everything needed. aside from this, what else do you recommend? ie. changing all the bolts, upgrading to steel bolts, metronic seal adapter, etc.

http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-...ce-186-61.html
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

You want to be able to read the fluid temp either via OBD port or using one of those $20 laser thermometers off of Amazon. I used a fluid pump the last two times but next time I may spring for one of those pressurized tanks -- getting the fluid in that little hole half a quart at a time with the engine running can be tricky.
      05-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Gotcha, I have rheingold, and edibas, and carly. I believe carly you can read the temp in the parameters section (can anyone confirm this is a reliable source to use?)

I have to find a pump maybe harbor freight as I wouldn't use the pr3ssurized pump that I use for my oil extraction etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

I bet you can read the temps with EDIABAS -- I am pretty sure my Foxwell NT510 will do it. The thing is, the car is on the lift, the engine is running, the temps are climbing, and you want to be able to pump and measure with relative ease, so having an assistant helps. The digital thermometer works pretty well too.
      05-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
supermann125
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
I bet you can read the temps with EDIABAS -- I am pretty sure my Foxwell NT510 will do it. The thing is, the car is on the lift, the engine is running, the temps are climbing, and you want to be able to pump and measure with relative ease, so having an assistant helps. The digital thermometer works pretty well too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Yes, an assistant, or just have a cool temperature car, raise on lift or jack stands to make everything accessible, lower car, start car, raise car and use the laser thermometer to read temperature and as soon as you are in the good range, start pumpin! I pumped before I was in the good temp range to fill it up a little then topped off in the good temp range (40c if I recall). Don't take the fill plug off with the car off. It'll be like a waterfall

Or you can just do the fluid change (gets about 5/8 of total fluid out), run for 5-10k miles, then do the pan, sleeves, etc. would circulate good fluid through the system since there is definitely some we can't get to
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

A couple of us have used the Motive Power Fill with success. I don't have a lift. I had the car on jack stands. After warming to 40°C, i did additional fill by myself using the infrared thermometer on the side of the aluminum trans case as well as my aluminum pan. I saw no difference in temp. My point of mention is using this style of pump allowed me to do job by myself. Note that the end of the line has a hook shaped fitting. Very handy for letting it stay in the hole while shooting additional temperature readings. I also used this to load fluid into differential. Some may say $85 was pricey but i've used it twice so far. I have to change the diff fluid again so it keeps paying for itself. I clean out the inside and tube with a couple flushes of denatured alcohol to dissolve any left over fluid. Then leave lid off and let alcohol evaporate away.

I learned the denatured alcohol trick from the power brake bleeder that same company sells. See the link to ID parts.
http://www.idparts.com/motive-power-...ro-p-2319.html
Appreciate 0