E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > How much weight did I lose?

06-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
bfunk04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

How much weight did I lose?

So I installed my profi exhaust and aarodriguez race pipe over the last few days, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how much weight I lost. I don't have access to a scale to do a before and after.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

I have that exhaust, I'd say 140pds or more. You can use the center cross member brace. You just have to flatten down the raised bumps in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have my EGR cooler and valve still just laying on the garage floor. Tomorrow night I'll weigh it and get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
bfunk04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYBRAVO1 View Post
I have that exhaust, I'd say 140pds or more. You can use the center cross member brace. You just have to flatten down the raised bumps in it.
Wow I didn't think it would be that much. That's pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
I have my EGR cooler and valve still just laying on the garage floor. Tomorrow night I'll weigh it and get back to you.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

The profi exhaust is also likely much lighter than stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYBRAVO1
how did you flatten out the brace? Was the Profi exhaust nice? Just ordered mine. The original plan was to get the Buzzken down pipe and gut the OEM exhaust but I backed down due to wanting to keep all OEM parts intact just in case testing rules hit the great state of KY. Plus I wanted a more aggressive looking tip. Let me know how you like the exhaust. any drone?
      06-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYBRAVO1 View Post
I politely have to say no way our OEM exhaust weighs 140 lbs. I recall somewhere in a thread weighing my OEM one on a bathroom scale with me holding it and then subtracting off my own weight.

I'm a skinny guy and know i didn't lift something that heavy. I believe my posting is in Iaknown's exhaust thread. i'll go hunt it down. My recollection is more like 50-60 lbs.

Even including the DPF in the equation, that is about another 22 lbs.

EDIT: I dug in the Exhaust Teaser thread. See link below. I was at first suspicious of my method but later verified by weighing another part (spare differential) both on a calibrated scale at work and repeat of this at home on bathroom scale. Readings were 82 and 84 lbs FOR THE DIFFERENTIAL.

The link says i got 69 lbs for the OEM exhaust. Yes, the whole thing from 2 bolt flange all the way to the tips. This was without the DPF.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=206

Last edited by BB_cuda; 06-06-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I politely have to say no way our OEM exhaust weighs 140 lbs. I recall somewhere in a thread weighing my OEM one on a bathroom scale with me holding it and then subtracting off my own weight.

I'm a skinny guy and know i didn't lift something that heavy. I believe my posting is in Iaknown's exhaust thread. i'll go hunt it down. My recollection is more like 50-60 lbs.

EDIT: I dug in the Exhaust Teaser thread. See link below. I was at first suspicious of my method but later verified by weighing another part (spare differential) both on a calibrated scale at work and repeat of this at home on bathroom scale. Readings were 82 and 84 lbs FOR THE DIFFERENTIAL.

The link says i got 69 lbs for the OEM exhaust. Yes, the whole thing from 2 bolt flange all the way to the tips. This was without the DPF.
Agreed. The DPF is an absolute pig. If you add that in the equation I can see You losing 100 pounds. Just the exhaust I could lift all by myself, so I'd say it was 80 pounds at the absolute maximum. Your biggest weight loss is with the DPF and SCR tanks. A full exhaust won't do too much. Nothing a personal diet and 2 gallons less fuel in the tank wouldn't do.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post

Hahaha, I was actually joking, the stock exhaust with DPF filter probably weighs 35pds to 40 for dpf- another 5
65 for exhaust- take out def tanks 15pds. All in all priceless.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs View Post
how did you flatten out the brace? Was the Profi exhaust nice? Just ordered mine. The original plan was to get the Buzzken down pipe and gut the OEM exhaust but I backed down due to wanting to keep all OEM parts intact just in case testing rules hit the great state of KY. Plus I wanted a more aggressive looking tip. Let me know how you like the exhaust. any drone?
I originally had the buzzken DP. Never installed it due to finding rhe profi exhaust with DP. I've had it now almost 3 years and love it. I know in was 1 of the first to give profi a shot. I only had an issue with egt bung missing/that I got off eBay for a dodge ram Cummins that I welded in. Exhaust tips didn't quite stay snug, so I tack welded them and they've been perfect. Sound/bends/welds and stainless steel are great. I've had a bunch of threads on this topic with pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs View Post
Took off the brace, heated it up with MAP gas-yellow bottle at home depot, stuck it in the vice and flattened out the rectangle bumps-if they weren't flat enough I just hit it with a big HAMMER. You bang then out enough to clear the center pipe from hitting. Then painted it black. I figured with it in, gives more stability + support of the pipe if anything ever came lose.
Appreciate 0