F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > The world has gone tits up...?
proTUNING Freaks

06-20-2017, 03:05 AM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

The world has gone tits up...?

Seems that way to me anyhow. There's always been myriad political issues going on, but somehow it all seems much worse now. The move towards more extreme political and religious standpoints, alongside weak economic conditions, challenging demographics in the western world, and worsening climate issues in many parts of the globe seem like a recipe for disaster.

I used to read and engage quite avidly on current affairs, but I realise that I've stopped doing so, as I find it utterly depressing.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 4
mcoops1757.00
PurpleTT370.50
stefan41083.50
Edinburra546.50
      06-20-2017, 03:12 AM   #2
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I think you're onto something. Filling 24 hour news cycles and all the other media channels with all the bad that's occurring will have an overall cumulatively negative effect.

Personally I'm trying to only have a very high level view of things I can't influence directly. At the end of the day minute by minute updates on some of the disasters occurring is corrupting and somehow voyeuristic. It also frustrates me because other than observing I can't actually do anything about it myself, other than vote now and then.

Perhaps it's time for a cottage in the middle of nowhere with no TV!
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      06-20-2017, 03:19 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I think you're onto something. Filling 24 hour news cycles and all the other media channels with all the bad that's occurring will have an overall cumulatively negative effect.

Personally I'm trying to only have a very high level view of things I can't influence directly. At the end of the day minute by minute updates on some of the disasters occurring is corrupting and somehow voyeuristic. It also frustrates me because other than observing I can't actually do anything about it myself, other than vote now and then.

Perhaps it's time for a cottage in the middle of nowhere with no TV!
Yes I'm sure media plays sort, but actually I've never been one for watching the news much, more listening to radio4 or 5live, reading the newspapers on a Sunday, and either prospect, spectator, or the economist. So I try to read considered editorial, analysis and commentary.

Even then I've stopped listening to the radio so much, and struggle to pick up the magazines with the enthusiasm I used to have.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:35 AM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I agree - it is really depressing.

I dislike the totally polarised political coverage from the papers. The ironically-named Independent and Guardian seize any opportunity to blame the Tories for all that's wrong in the world. Similarly the Mail and to a slightly lesser extent the Telegraph, spin their stories to highlight the flaws of the current Labour party. They all even choose photos of political leaders looking either foolish or statesman-like according to their own bias.

It was always a little like that during elections, but it seems to have become quite extreme recently. Apart from the BBC (and not everyone thinks they get it right) there is no centre-ground media any more. I'm particularly disappointed in the Independent which used to be moderate and sensible but seems to have veered to the hard left.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:35 AM   #5
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

I do think we're going through a worrying period.

Although I think the basic foundations of western democracy are sound, there are holes appearing related to globalisation and making progress in areas like technology and financial instruments where we don't fully understand the consequences. Whether it's extreme left or right views, it's clear many people are tired of professional centrist politics and want something else. But stability is an under-rated thing, and most people alive in the west today haven't experienced a global conflict (or large-scale, sustained civil unrest).

Despite having often expressed liberal views on this forum, in my heart I'm an atheist, and tend to think that religion in all forms does little to advance the species.

I often wonder whether to just stop reading the news and engaging in debates like the ones we have in the off topic area. But I just find it hard to watch the world our kids will inherit going to hell in a handcart without at least keeping myself informed and engaging in some level of debate.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
I do think we're going through a worrying period.

Although I think the basic foundations of western democracy are sound, there are holes appearing related to globalisation and making progress in areas like technology and financial instruments where we don't fully understand the consequences. Whether it's extreme left or right views, it's clear many people are tired of professional centrist politics and want something else. But stability is an under-rated thing, and most people alive in the west today haven't experienced a global conflict (or large-scale, sustained civil unrest).

Despite having often expressed liberal views on this forum, in my heart I'm an atheist, and tend to think that religion in all forms does little to advance the species.

I often wonder whether to just stop reading the news and engaging in debates like the ones we have in the off topic area. But I just find it hard to watch the world our kids will inherit going to hell in a handcart without at least keeping myself informed and engaging in some level of debate.

I used to get well involved, but pretty much steering clear now, for all those reasons.

I do t think it's the politics that folk are tired of, it's unrelenting lack of belief that anything will change along the status quo.

Hence the desire for change and also a scapegoat.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I used to read and engage quite avidly on current affairs, but I realise that I've stopped doing so, as I find it utterly depressing.
I completely agree and follow the same path. Used to have the radio on, now just Deezer. I don't have the energy to follow any of it any more.
      06-20-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

The problem is, if more and more grounded / sensible (not saying any of you lot are ) people stop taking an interest in politics / news etc, then that opens up the area to more extremists from any side because they'll be the ones with sufficient interest in the topic to report or pursue matters. This would then cause a snowballing effect of making things even more extreme. I think the "filter bubble" within people's social media isn't helping in making things seem more extreme, as people aren't getting a balanced view of the world.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #9
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Well its all pretty depressing that's for sure...
Least the suns out...at the moment anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

There's definitely an issue with the immediacy that things need to be reported on 24/7 news channels and over social media. When you see decent news programs resorting to publicising random peoples tweets as they have no verified information, you know there's something wrong with the world. I've also stopped watching/listening to anything about current situation. Apart from the headline of what's going on, I'd rather read about it in a few days time when there are facts and decent research has been done.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
blackrabbit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F30 M Sport

Totally agree. The whole country seems to on some sort of self harm mission!

I was actually looking at property abroad the other day and thinking is it all worth it anymore, I could sell up, clear my debts and go grow beans and olives in the sun. Maybe no luxuries but maybe life has just got too complicated!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

Been thinking the same meself. One thing after another at the moment, it's almost like, where's the good news gonna come from and when? It's pretty much all avoidable and self inflicted imo.

Hey ho, grand kids & kids seem ok and they're the future so maybe it's me and and this is the new "normal".
      06-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

We live in the middle of nowhere in Somerset and glad we do, it's the same here as it was 100s years ago.

The news is so desperate my wife would rather not hear about it than worry, yes she has her head in the sand but she does not need to engage with the wider world. If she is happy then that's good enough for me

Myself I watch the headlines and then turn it off.

Sad times indeed
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Looks like a terrorist attack in Brussels station tonight....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

I think the real worry is that the extremists seem like a unified force, whereas the democracies are very fractured.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

I'm actually a bit of an optimistic realist. I don't necessarily believe it's gone more tits up than in the past. I do however believe the media have had a large part in sensationalising and promoting fear, steering the public to their angle en masse.

As has been suggested, the 24/7 'news' feeds on any device anywhere have certainly added to peoples perception. And of course, the media's desire to be 'the first' to break a story, make it more heart rendering, more sensational and have interviewed as many as possible as the 'action' unfurls. They are after all competing with the other media outlets and any flid that has a Twatter account or mobile phone. Its just business.

But, the receiver of any news doesnt actually care who reports it so long as its accurate, right? Do any of us remember which news outlet broke the various stories over the past 5-10 years? Nope. The news actually think they have to make the news now as opposed to just reporting it. Gone are the days of some random journo just reporting the facts (if that ever happened). The current flavour is trying to report the most excruciating personal 'people' story and pushing their own point of view or angle in the most patronising way possible.

Think back to PIRAs bombing campaigns in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, riots during the 80's, 90's. Mass demonstrations against everything in the 60's 70's and CND in the 80's and the very real threat of nuclear conflict etc, etc.

So I dont actually think its all shit at the moment. We've had a year of utterly atrocious politics in the UK, a handful of terror attacks and frictions growing based on both those issues. Not a huge change from previous decades. Difference is, the media are making the news and driving the tempo of the general feeling of the country on the whole. Plus any fucking idiot with a keyboard or a 3G connection has a fucking opinion and can voice it!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Absolutely agree that the news is just full of strife and totally depressing.

You don't even get the "cheer you up" snippet at the end of the news anymore.

That's why I use this channel. Makes all news uplifting

06-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Seems that way to me anyhow. There's always been myriad political issues going on, but somehow it all seems much worse now. The move towards more extreme political and religious standpoints, alongside weak economic conditions, challenging demographics in the western world, and worsening climate issues in many parts of the globe seem like a recipe for disaster.

yes, its simply draining. I have my views and i tend to keep them to my self these days. Quite frankly, I have better things to do with my time. People get so agressive and are not willing to at least comprehend an alternative viewpoint.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #19
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
yes, its simply draining. I have my views and i tend to keep them to my self these days. Quite frankly, I have better things to do with my time. People get so agressive and are not willing to at least comprehend an alternative viewpoint.
Yep I agree with you.

Alas, I believe it's partly down to the 'internet generation' in that people can quite happily, anonymously spout utter shite unchecked (very rarely here thankfully). Just the internet in general. Just look at pretty much any Youtube comments! The art of debate, argument and intellectual discussion seems to be a rare beast and it could be due to the anonymous, non-face to face interaction that most people now have. Not to mention the attention span of your average human has reduced from about 20-30 minutes to about 20 seconds, everything has to be shiny, instant and self appreciating.

At this rate, we wont need to worry about climate change because the human race will ensure its own extinction earlier than that! Not a bad idea. Lets start again and try harder to not be fucking retards....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #20
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:

Totally agree with your points.
Also too many layers of Government and too much, at times, ill informed comment on media.
It seems to me that Politicians have won and have us "the people" constantly voting and keeping them in the media's spotlight.
It should be "Government of the People by the People for the People" not "Government of the people by the Government for the Government"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
There's always been myriad political issues going on, but somehow it all seems much worse now. The move towards more extreme political and religious standpoints, alongside weak economic conditions, challenging demographics in the western world, and worsening climate issues in many parts of the globe seem like a recipe for disaster.
You're absolutely spot on. 4 or 5 hundred years ago everyone agreed on a sort of religious consensus and they were all really well fed and nobody burnt anyone at the stake or hacked them to bits just because their vision of the invisible man in the sky was slightly different, And no-one died of anything because the leeches were fucking awesome.

Unfortunately it's all gone downhill and today we have massive inequality which leads some people to think that their only chance of making their point is to do something really horrible and put it on social media.

In reality the only difference is that today you don't have to own loads of land to be a cunt to people around you. Thank heaven (whatever that is) for gunpowder and semtex.

That's progress. What's not to like?
Appreciate 1