F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My gradually waning excitement om impending new 335d !!
GetBMWParts

06-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

My gradually waning excitement om impending new 335d !!

A few months ago, prior to joining this forum, I was looking into what to replace my 320d Touring (Which in the main I like, despite its loose handling when pushing & the dodgy ride comfort) & after a number of extended test drives including a Golf GTD, R, 430d and a couple of 20" wheeled 335's, I excitedly pushed the button on a 335d touring with a few essential options. After reading numerous posts highlighting all the pitfalls, I'm now wondering whether, even after fitting the ACS Springs, I'll have a car that I will enjoy driving! I would hope that a few of you driving a similar machine can re-ignite my previous eager anticipation?

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
You'll love it dude.

Live mine it's fast comfortable and economical

Just very good at hiding the speed - look in the rear cpview mirror if you feel you're not moving very quick and see how far back everyone has suddenly become.
      06-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

If you want or need X-drive the 335d is a good choice; if you don't I'd advise changing your order to a 340i.
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      06-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
A few months ago, prior to joining this forum, I was looking into what to replace my 320d Touring (Which in the main I like, despite its loose handling when pushing & the dodgy ride comfort) & after a number of extended test drives including a Golf GTD, R, 430d and a couple of 20" wheeled 335's, I excitedly pushed the button on a 335d touring with a few essential options. After reading numerous posts highlighting all the pitfalls, I'm now wondering whether, even after fitting the ACS Springs, I'll have a car that I will enjoy driving! I would hope that a few of you driving a similar machine can re-ignite my previous eager anticipation?
As long as it has adaptive suspension and non run flat tyres yes.
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      06-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

If you're coming from a 320d you'll love it I'm sure!

Also, depends what your needs are? I spend a lot of time doing long journeys, on motorways and A roads and the 335d is awesome for those. The reality is that's where the vast majority of us spend the vast majority of our driving time. I've done 94k miles in my 335d over 3.5 years and it's been absolutely brilliant. I won't replace it any time soon because there isn't anything else better out there to replace it with for my needs.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 4
McBeemer261.00
JLR19691882.00
J60nyn68.00
      06-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
If you want or need X-drive the 335d is a good choice; if you don't I'd advise changing your order to a 340i.
9 months into 335d wagon ownership here

Its quite frankly scarily fast
Just bonkers

Even compared to early 90's hot hatches when I was single and "immortal" its scary

Just tonight I floored it on a dry road with some leaves on the ground and it lit up the front wheels

Im sure a 340i is the purer driving machine but even the 330d I drove 15y ago had the traction light on almost permanently when I put my foot down so I would have a healthy respect for the current petrol 6ers

The standard runflats are crap in snow though - even with AWD

Not sure this helps you............
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      06-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
As long as it has adaptive suspension and non run flat tyres yes.
Yep, has both .... Although we've already discussed my apparently dodgy choice of 18" 398 wheels! Glad I managed to spec the M sport brakes at the last minute though ..phew!

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
If you're coming from a 320d you'll love it I'm sure!

Also, depends what your needs are? I spend a lot of time doing long journeys, on motorways and A roads and the 335d is awesome for those. The reality is that's where the vast majority of us spend the vast majority of our driving time. I've done 94k miles in my 335d over 3.5 years and it's been absolutely brilliant. I won't replace it any time soon because there isn't anything else better out there to replace it with for my needs.
Yeah, I'm roughly about the same usage (Have done 50k over 2 years in 320d X drive) ... It's nice to know that the occasional B road isn't going to spoil things too much though (hope ACS Springs will improve things there, as 320d X drive is a bit woolly on the B's)

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steces View Post

Just bonkers

Even compared to early 90's hot hatches when I was single and "immortal" its scary

Just tonight I floored it on a dry road with some leaves on the ground and it lit up the front wheels

Im sure a 340i is the purer driving machine but even the 330d I drove 15y ago had the traction light on almost permanently when I put my foot down so I would have a healthy respect for the current petrol 6ers

My driveway is steep and narrow (A foot side drop at one point) and I live in a part of Scotland where snow is quite regular in the winter .... My current car is the only one that I have been able to drive up from standing whilst it's covered in snow ... all others required a fairly pacy run up

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #10
jnismith
Captain
Rep
Drives: Golf R, Maserati Gransport

Quote:
You will find the 335D quite "rolly" if you don't have adaptive, but as others have said you can add the ACS springs. Otherwise, you will enjoy it just as much as a 340i. Its as fast, just different. The xd will make it feel safer to drive though.
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      06-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #11
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
I've loved my 335d (a fairly early F31). I had ACS springs fitted (although now removed ready for trade in) and they definitely transformed the car, but even without them the car is tremendously capable and a very quick (and economical if you try) way to get from A to B.
The comfort levels are very good and even after 72000 miles I still enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

If you're already used to the 3 series then think of it as a three series plus, I'm sure you'll love it.
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      06-28-2017, 03:37 AM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I went from a 320d M Sport Touring to a 335d M Sport Touring and the difference is massive. As well as the massive performance difference (overtakes you never thought possible suddenly open up) the 335d is much more refined with so much less diesel rattle. I currently get 42-46mpg going to and from work which is a mixture of B roads, motorway and speed camera controlled dual carriageways. Having a B road blast does see that drop to high twenties and low thirties though!

And... I know this is heresy but I like the suspension. I found the M Sport suspension on my 320d a bit skittish over rougher B roads but with the softer X Drive suspension I feel like it grips the road better and doesn't bounce across the bumps and holes as much. I know a lot of people say you need to change this and that and maybe you do, but for what I need and do, the 335d suits me well.

And I know it's childish but I still love finding a nice quiet straight, checking there's no one behind me, slowing almost to a halt, gearbox in sport and then flooring it!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #13
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

I've driven all recent 3's in one form or another and if you want a rapid, safe and secure handling motor then the 335d will fit the bill. But it will not be exciting, other than fast in a straight line/overtake kind of way.
Xdrive and the SE suspension kills a lot of involvement, add the RFT into the equation and the 'ultimate driving machine' is along way off the mark.
I guess we all want a car for daily life with the precision handling and steering of a sports car but I'm not sure anyone makes a car like that.
Life's full of compromise, the 335d is about the best there is unless you want to go down the rear drive petrol route then there's a few options and not all from BMW.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17527.50
      06-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #14
simon the pieman
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f44 M235i gran coupe

Did you consider a c class estate.
Changed recently to a c class saloon and not regretting it at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Just bonkers

I've never accused the 335d of being slow and in combination with the auto box I'd say mine is perhaps the best real-world overtaking machine I've owned. However, for me an enjoyable, involving, drive means more than just being quick in a straight line....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #16
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

I know theres not much love for runflats on here, but for my journey to date started on 18in runflats with the stock adaptive, when I fitted the acs springs, seemed the natural thing to do was to ditch the runflats so fitted 18in ps4, thought they were ok but seemed overated to me, for the minor improvement in ride quality, but very soft sidewalls had a negative effect on turn in. When I fitted the b16 pss10's coilovers the ps4 issues seemed to exaggerate and felt to be crying out for a lower profile/stiffer side wall. fitted a brand new set of 19in wheels with runflats and find them overall very good, ive got crisp turn in, good ride quality, some tyre noise but no worse than the 18in ps4.

Ive got no urge to want to rip them off for non runflats to date, did a long trip a couple of weeks ago with passengers and actually had comments on how comfortable it was !!!

Mmm, that said I wonder what I might be missing out on by not having 19in non runflats on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
I used to see the TC light a lot in my E90 320D, don't think I've seen it yet in the 440i. The power delivery is fantastically easy to modulate and stay on the right side of the available grip.

Quote:
My driveway is steep and narrow (A foot side drop at one point) and I live in a part of Scotland where snow is quite regular in the winter .... My current car is the only one that I have been able to drive up from standing whilst it's covered in snow ... all others required a fairly pacy run up
Generally, you seem to have many good reasons for a 35d and xDrive being the right choice, so wouldn't worry too much. The driveway is a good one!
One question though - is that on winter tyres, both for your current and previous cars? If yes, then stick with xDrive, if no then it's entirely possible a sDrive on winters would climb it as well or even better.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love your car

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

For getting from A-B at pace in British whether, I don't think there is a better car to have. Flooring it off some very damp roundabouts today and not even a hint of traction control and it just flies. Put the ACS springs on as that should help and if at any point you don't think it's quick enough, get a remap and then get hurled at the horizon at pace. I think 90% of the people that have been disappointed in the 335d have either come from or really wanted an M-car or equivalent, which it certainly is not.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon the pieman View Post
You say that now, but I have 5 people in my teams who all went for a Merc for the first time in their lives over the last few years (company cars), and not a single one of them intends to get another one! 3 can't wait to get back in a BMW and the other back to Audi. The other is genuinely open and tends to move about brands.
All of them have had reliability issues, and two of them have been left stranded by their cars on more than one occasion.

There are two guys I know who love their Mercs and have always had them and they are happy, but this small sample suggests that Merc may not keep all that many of their more recent converts.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #20
simon the pieman
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f44 M235i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon the pieman View Post
You say that now, but I have 5 people in my teams who all went for a Merc for the first time in their lives over the last few years (company cars), and not a single one of them intends to get another one! 3 can't wait to get back in a BMW and the other back to Audi. The other is genuinely open and tends to move about brands.
All of them have had reliability issues, and two of them have been left stranded by their cars on more than one occasion.

There are two guys I know who love their Mercs and have always had them and they are happy, but this small sample suggests that Merc may not keep all that many of their more recent converts.
On the flip side to that this is my first merc. I've Had 3 previous 3 series of each generation and I have to say I never thought about getting a merc until early this year. The build quality is far better than it was in previous c class and standard equipment levels are better than bmw's I think.
I've had no issues what so ever. The premium plus pack out does the m sport plus pack in terms of equipment for not much more money. Comfort and styling are much better too than previous, that's not to say my next car won't be a BMW again. I'm not saying I'm a convert but For the time being it's a very worthy alternative to the f30 but also this is just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #21
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Generally, you seem to have many good reasons for a 35d and xDrive being the right choice, so wouldn't worry too much. The driveway is a good one!
One question though - is that on winter tyres, both for your current and previous cars? If yes, then stick with xDrive, if no then it's entirely possible a sDrive on winters would climb it as well or even better.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love your car
Have to agree. We live on the side of a mountain, and I've been astonished at what sDrive and a proper set of winter tyres can accomplish.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #22
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

[QUOTE=simon the pieman;21882902]Did you consider a c class estate.
Changed recently to a c class saloon and not regretting it at all.[/QUOTE

I considered (very quickly!) both Audi and Mercedes, but for fear of making the decision even more difficult, discounted both!

I sat in an Audi and didn't like the fussiness of the interior, despite the perceived quality.

With all due respect, the Merc was emblazoned with chrome, which was not to my liking.

Apart from that, I didn't want to muddy the waters of choice .... I could've spent even longer than I had deciding

Appreciate 0