BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > COTA M trackday

08-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

COTA M trackday

Anyone head to circuit of the americas this week to do the mtrackday event? I went yesterday, thinking it's probably my best chance to get any seat time in an M2. There was an article on jalopnik that covered some of the highlights, but I'll point out they didnt let us paid guests drive the 3 pedal version of the cars. I won't rehash much more than what that article lays out, but a few notes from a very novice track driver (I've done a few similar events over the years, but otherwise my racing expertise comes from growing up on the Gran Turismo franchise via polyphony digital).

1) I think I was the only minivan in the parking lot. We brought the kids to Austin for a couple nights, and I'm not ashamed (currently my daily driver is a tacoma, but my wife thought it foolish to not take the people mover when moving people). also, I was a little ashamed.

2) They offered the m3 and m4 competitions for the lead-follow laps. As a novice, driving COTA is intimidating. I've done shorter flat road tracks, which were a lot easier to pick up after a lap or two. As stated in that article, it was indeed pretty easy to hit 140+ on the back straight. I would have been out of my league without a pace car and instructor chirping instructions on radio, but it was still a blast.

3) the M2s were all reserved for autocross. And it was a 16 second course, so I didnt really get to flex one too much. Interior reminded me a lot of the 135i I had (not a surprise), and I'm unsure if it helped or stymied my interest in placing an order. I'm looking for a fun little city car with a manual and rear seats, and I'm dumb enough to overspend on an m2 in lieu of something more reasonable.

4) The instructors took us on a hot lap at the end. The driver of the car I hopped into was power-sliding about 3 foot from the rear of the car in front at 80mph. Apparently he was earlier scolded and told to not pass on the hot laps with passengers. I would have preferred him to pass. ;-) Certainly the most dynamic of the events.

5) I know some folks were dogging BMW for charging for these events over the last few years (they had been free in the past), but for the $250 price tag it was worth getting to drive COTA. And I've spend more on crappier entertainment, so I felt it was a pretty good value.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Anyone head to circuit of the americas this week to do the mtrackday event? I went yesterday, thinking it's probably my best chance to get any seat time in an M2. There was an article on jalopnik that covered some of the highlights, but I'll point out they didnt let us paid guests drive the 3 pedal version of the cars. I won't rehash much more than what that article lays out, but a few notes from a very novice track driver (I've done a few similar events over the years, but otherwise my racing expertise comes from growing up on the Gran Turismo franchise via polyphony digital).

1) I think I was the only minivan in the parking lot. We brought the kids to Austin for a couple nights, and I'm not ashamed (currently my daily driver is a tacoma, but my wife thought it foolish to not take the people mover when moving people). also, I was a little ashamed.

2) They offered the m3 and m4 competitions for the lead-follow laps. As a novice, driving COTA is intimidating. I've done shorter flat road tracks, which were a lot easier to pick up after a lap or two. As stated in that article, it was indeed pretty easy to hit 140+ on the back straight. I would have been out of my league without a pace car and instructor chirping instructions on radio, but it was still a blast.

3) the M2s were all reserved for autocross. And it was a 16 second course, so I didnt really get to flex one too much. Interior reminded me a lot of the 135i I had (not a surprise), and I'm unsure if it helped or stymied my interest in placing an order. I'm looking for a fun little city car with a manual and rear seats, and I'm dumb enough to overspend on an m2 in lieu of something more reasonable.

4) The instructors took us on a hot lap at the end. The driver of the car I hopped into was power-sliding about 3 foot from the rear of the car in front at 80mph. Apparently he was earlier scolded and told to not pass on the hot laps with passengers. I would have preferred him to pass. ;-) Certainly the most dynamic of the events.

5) I know some folks were dogging BMW for charging for these events over the last few years (they had been free in the past), but for the $250 price tag it was worth getting to drive COTA. And I've spend more on crappier entertainment, so I felt it was a pretty good value.
Went for the Saturday afternoon session and had a blast. COTA was a bucket list item for me so the admission price wasn't bad. I knew what I was getting for the money and a short trip to Austin wasn't bad either. Sounds like you had fun!

It's too bad we couldn't get the M2 on the track, but I think it's understandable given the heat and the track.

Here's a video of Instructor Adam Seaman's hot lap where he has the M3 ask us to call roadside assistance

Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
A Seaman...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Went for the Saturday afternoon session and had a blast. COTA was a bucket list item for me so the admission price wasn't bad. I knew what I was getting for the money and a short trip to Austin wasn't bad either. Sounds like you had fun!

It's too bad we couldn't get the M2 on the track, but I think it's understandable given the heat and the track.

Here's a video of Instructor Adam Seaman's hot lap where he has the M3 ask us to call roadside assistance
I was in the same session, Saturday afternoon. The car I was in for the hotlap through a code right before we entered the pit lane. Was absolute insanity how hard he was driving the car.
      08-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I went there too. I made a big mistake and spent the night before on 6th so I went in hungover and the speaker noise in the M3 was giving me a massive headache. M2 felt good though.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I went there too. I made a big mistake and spent the night before on 6th so I went in hungover and the speaker noise in the M3 was giving me a massive headache. M2 felt good though.
sounds like the way to do it!!! like a rockstar . . .
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post

sounds like the way to do it!!! like a rockstar . . .[/QUOTE]

You definitely don't want to feel like a rockstar when you are on track ...
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
A Seaman...
Definitely looked like a fish out of water ..
Appreciate 0