Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Different betwee Chrome and Polish?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328

Different betwee Chrome and Polish?

What is the different between Polish and Chrome?
I have noticed many bmw owners here don't like chrome, personally I am fine with it but probably I will go for Polish instead of chrome.
Anyone can state the different between those two finishes?
they do look different right? polish doesn't look as plastic as chrome? or as cheap?
Post some photos between them if you have them...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

chrome is 10X easier to clean than high polished. high polished will lose its luster, and cleaning it will take forever. with a chrome lip you just wipe and its clean. but with a polished lip you have to really get at it with some elbow grease to keep it fresh.

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep

so i should go wiht chrome lip?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

seems like you should, cleaning those polished wheels can be a pain
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

If your talking about lips only I would definitely go chrome. So much easier to keep looking good. Put a coat of wax on it and your done. Looks better than polish
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Polished lips may be harder to clean. BUT, if you curb your wheels, chrome may be harder to fix due to matching.

If you're talking about wheels all together (not just lips), then stay away from chrome. It's too blingy, and will make the wheels heavier.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep

so how does the polish wheel look like compare to chrome?
I am thinking either get a polished wheel... or a brushed centre with chrome lip
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep

so how does the polish wheel look like compare to chrome?
I am thinking either get a polished wheel... or a brushed centre with chrome lip
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep

I had a set of fully polished wheels. they were impossible to keep clean. and the lip started looking "scratch" or "marred" after a washing them a few times. chrome will keep its luster. the only benefit to high polished is that it is MUCH easier to fix the lip if you curb it. Chrome lips are really hard to repair and would cost a lot more to repair too.

i would go with chrome lip 100%

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Chrome is a lot heavier as well. As far as the polished lip having imperfections...that's due to the clear coat. I know iForged wheels have them so you gotta get the lips repolished every now and then. If your polished lips don't have the clear coat, they will stay shiny and flawless as long as you don't curb them and such.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Chrome is a lot heavier as well. As far as the polished lip having imperfections...that's due to the clear coat. I know iForged wheels have them so you gotta get the lips repolished every now and then. If your polished lips don't have the clear coat, they will stay shiny and flawless as long as you don't curb them and such.
i was told to use this stuff called Mothers Billet Polish, and it ended up cleaning my wheels, but left them no where near as shiny as they came out the box after a wear applcations.

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I used that stuff as well, it was OK at best. It worked better on exhaust tips and such. By repolishing...I meant you gotta do it professionally. If it's too bad, they will acid strip the lips and redo them. If I can do it over again, I wouldn't even get clear coat to begin with.

My friend has a set of HRE that he ordered with no clear coat..after 2 years of daily driving, the lips are still immaculate.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

i was thinking about doing chrome lips instead of polished but i knew i would damage them so i just went high polished. I had them sealed and waxed (entire wheel) to protect the luster.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #14
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep

ahhhh choosing wheeel finish is hard...
i am thiking to purchase either LS5 with polished finish or R07 variant s w/ brushed and polish lips..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kson929 View Post
ahhhh choosing wheeel finish is hard...
i am thiking to purchase either LS5 with polished finish or R07 variant s w/ brushed and polish lips..
I would stay away from a polished finish on the center portion of the wheel. It looks too much like chrome. I think brushed looks great but Im biased as I have brushed
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #16
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
you should go polished, Polished aluminum looks different when spinning and will reflect light alot better than chrome. It looks alot sexier and actually is more defined than chrome. Chrome has that monotone look, u cant see the details of the wheels or the beauty or it, all you see is like a mirror. Chrome will corrode with time and if u curb your wheels there is NOTHING you can do besides getting the whole thing dipped ( pain in the ass). Chrome personally should only be on really hi-quality wheels such as Asanti and some lowenharts, ONLY on the lips. I personally have full hi-polished aluminum wheels and i love the way they look. Sure.. they could use alittle polishing once in awhile but hey, its BMW and if you noticed... HRE doesnt make chrome wheels! Polished aluminum is sportier, lighter and if u get curbed, just lightly sand, wet sand and polish, it'll be as good as new. Do yourself a favor and just get polished. They look better. All the "imitation" ballers have those cheap-o depo chrome wheels, dont make that mistake. Polished metal brings out the true beauty of the wheels, dont cover it up w/ a mirror, u want people to look at your wheels, not themselves in it....

BTW: brushed aluminum face + clear coat / Polished lip = SEXY AS FCUK!
IMO btw
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

I have the chrome lip on my HRE's. Easy to clean. Looks better too
      05-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Polished is like hardwood. It's the real stuff but it also needs a lot of care and upkeep.

Chrome plated is like wood veneer. It looks almost like wood, is easier to care for but it is not the real thing.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #19
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
Polished is like hardwood. It's the real stuff but it also needs a lot of care and upkeep.

Chrome plated is like wood veneer. It looks almost like wood, is easier to care for but it is not the real thing.

You have it backwards. Why is it the chrome finish lip is more expensive?

Everytime my friend with iforged with polished lip sees my chrome lips he kicks himself. Not to mention his wheels are welded together while the chome lip is a true 2 piece
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #20
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep

hey do you mind to send some close up pictures for me of your wheel?
they look nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 ANdy View Post
you should go polished, Polished aluminum looks different when spinning and will reflect light alot better than chrome. It looks alot sexier and actually is more defined than chrome. Chrome has that monotone look, u cant see the details of the wheels or the beauty or it, all you see is like a mirror. Chrome will corrode with time and if u curb your wheels there is NOTHING you can do besides getting the whole thing dipped ( pain in the ass). Chrome personally should only be on really hi-quality wheels such as Asanti and some lowenharts, ONLY on the lips. I personally have full hi-polished aluminum wheels and i love the way they look. Sure.. they could use alittle polishing once in awhile but hey, its BMW and if you noticed... HRE doesnt make chrome wheels! Polished aluminum is sportier, lighter and if u get curbed, just lightly sand, wet sand and polish, it'll be as good as new. Do yourself a favor and just get polished. They look better. All the "imitation" ballers have those cheap-o depo chrome wheels, dont make that mistake. Polished metal brings out the true beauty of the wheels, dont cover it up w/ a mirror, u want people to look at your wheels, not themselves in it....

BTW: brushed aluminum face + clear coat / Polished lip = SEXY AS FCUK!
IMO btw
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #21
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

Chrome is achieved by a plating porcess with chemicals and the use of electrodes. It is actually a layer over the aluminum that adheres to the metal. It can be chipped and on occassion, will have ripples on them, if not done right. However, once done right it is easier to maintain and clean. Still, it is a metal, and should be waxed and cleaned periodically.

As for the polish finish, most wheel companies, will take it under the polishing/buffing machine. This is labor intensive, but with forged Aluminum (dense material), you will achieve luster that is as glossy and shiny as chrome without the total "bling" look.
Mostly only done to Forged metals as buffing and polishing bare cast metal, in most cases (stress most cases, not all) will bring out some of the imperfections of the metal, especially if it is not aluminum.

The buffed/polished surface is coated usually with clear coat to protect the surface. Once this coating fades away, the metal is exposed and will oxidise and look blurry.

Hope this helps, a little.

As for polished/brushed lip, which we dealt with a few times, it is really nice and classy to look at, but really difficult to maintain, especially without the clear coat.