E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2 stroke oil in diesel, anyone using it?

08-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

2 stroke oil in diesel, anyone using it?

So I have been pouring liqui moly 1052 2 stroke oil in my 325D E90 with DPF already for 6000 km and have only positive things to say.

The engine is quieter, the regeneration distance increased from every 600 km to 900 km, and the soot grams generated between regenerations have decreased.

I asked Liqui Moly and they confirmed the oil contains no Zinc so there is no isuse for the injectors/filter.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

how much are you running per tank?

I have not seen this topic come up on this site, but I know on the TDI site everyone would point and shake there head *no, no, no* if you had a DPF.

more info please
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I am running 300 ml per tank (ratio 1:200).
I have the Carly Adapter with the App and I can see the soot grams in the particle filter.

Before I used to have the exhaust tips black on the inside even though my car has DPF, I also noticed that on other BMW diesels with particle filter.
The soot grams generated between regenerations was about 20 grams and then it will drop back to zero.

I cleaned the exhaust tips on the inside with a brush and started using 2T oil. After 6000 km they are still clean, and its only generating 7 g soot between regenrations. So this is prooven fact the 2T Jaso FC + diesel burns cleaner and leaves no residues.

One of my injectors had 1.2 corrections at start I have checked them regulary and after using the oil it has cured the issue.

Some study in South Africa mentioned that 2T contains Zinc and it will block the injectors and particle filter. Therefore I had confirmation from Liqui Moly their oil has no Zinc and its safe to use. People in Germany are using it and havent heard anywone complaining their particle filter or injectors failed.

It definitely helps and lubricates the pump and fuel injectors.
So I will definitely continue using it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

:facepalm: Its as if they don't actually make oil for this purpose.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I've heard of people doing this in trucks... But with all the dpf safe fuel additives out there I wouldn't recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I believe the 335D US models have a separate DEF tank for the DPF. The Euro models dont have that.

All I can say from my own experience and measurements it doesnt hurt at all (there are hundreds of topics on e90 german forum with poeple using it in their E90, E60 diesels with positive results).

My engine also became quiter, less diesel clatter.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Whitbread
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Tcw3 oil is a fine additive for a diesel. There's better and there's worse, but bang for the $$ is very good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

It's a bit amusing that so many people in EU/UK are running an additive, when so few in the USA/CA are, when EU people are always making disparaging comments about US fuel quality.

I suspect that the almost universal B5 biodiesel has a lot to do with the lesser need in the US. Of course, some people here in the US also read the "no additives" sticker on the fuel filler door and go with the BMW factory recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
babyfaby
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 530D G30/Z4 E86 3.0SI/320i E30

I'm going to order it by 5 liters, Liquid Moly 1189 and will test it right away.

Here is what i found in a forum about it:

"To all interested:

due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.

The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!

BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.

In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.

The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.

The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.

Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

fill in 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil with every tank filling. You will notice a surprisingly big difference in the smoothness of your engine running, the noise level is reduced, particularely when the engine is cold, and the fuel ecconomy will increase besides the described other advantages.

The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time.

Everybody who has used the 2-stroke oil in his/her diesel engine has confirmed that they could not have done better.

You can use fully synthetic 2-stroke oil but as too expensive, and you do not really need this high quality for your purpose. Semi-synthetic will do.

The use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will under normal circumstances not be evident, as the 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel by forming an emulsion, which will not seperate.

As I have said, we have to undergo every 2 years a pollution control inspection by our TUV, and the emission values as measured are by far better with use of 2-stroke oil than without. I have not come accross any case in which a car manufacturer has waived its guarantee obligo for cars which have used this 2-stroke oil (off course, not knowing this).

Dismantling the test diesel engines after the 2-stroke oil test has revealed that such engines have been in an extroardinary clean and top condition. So why should any car manufacturer have any reason to waive any guarantees (for whatever technical reasons) if the concerned engine is otherwise in a clean and top condition.

Turns out it was BMW that were looking into it, they were having problems with varying quality of fuel across eu ..... issues such as ultra low sulpher.... effecting injectors etc. Apprantly they found the most benefit from low smoke 2 stroke ..... as this improved lubrication ......... which is greatly reduced with ultra low sulpher."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaby View Post

One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
Like, that really works to reduce diesel pollution. Seems like the EU's testing is even worse than inadequate - note that VW got away with it for a decade.

Also, it appears to have been written before the USA/CA mandated Ultra-Low Sulphur (granted, 15 ppm rather than EU's 10 ppm), or the writer isn't aware of the standards.

Bottom line, not terribly authoritative.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Like, that really works to reduce diesel pollution. Seems like the EU's testing is even worse than inadequate - note that VW got away with it for a decade.

Also, it appears to have been written before the USA/CA mandated Ultra-Low Sulphur (granted, 15 ppm rather than EU's 10 ppm), or the writer isn't aware of the standards.

Bottom line, not terribly authoritative.
Note that VW evaded the testing by changing the ECU programming only during pollution testing. The ECU resumed the normal operation on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
Note that VW evaded the testing by changing the ECU programming only during pollution testing. The ECU resumed the normal operation on the road.
Normal would be with all controls engaged, which is opposite of what you said: you mean "non-normal" on the road.

And it turns out that even in "normal" operation, VW's (and MB and Audi) weren't meeting the true standards, since the testing was inadequate and poorly specced and executed.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
:facepalm: Its as if they don't actually make oil for this purpose.
2 stroke oil is designed to be burned, so at least its not like just putting standard 4 stroke motor oil in the tank.

Quote:
Normal would be with all controls engaged, which is opposite of what you said: you mean "non-normal" on the road.

And it turns out that even in "normal" operation, VW's (and MB and Audi) weren't meeting the true standards, since the testing was inadequate and poorly specced and executed.
Normal would be how the engine typically runs. If it spends 99% of its operational time with the controls off, then normal is with controls off.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
duramax
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I use it in my duramax and VW every tank, not in the D, I use optilube
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Normal would be how the engine typically runs. If it spends 99% of its operational time with the controls off, then normal is with controls off.
If the "emission controls" are off, then emissions are not controlled, which is not "normal" operation. You're referring to some other "control" (the control function for detecting emissions testing?)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If the "emission controls" are off, then emissions are not controlled, which is not "normal" operation. You're referring to some other "control" (the control function for detecting emissions testing?)
Don't be obtuse. If the emissions controls were designed to not be working most of the time then not working is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Don't be obtuse. If the emissions controls were designed to not be working most of the time then not working is normal.
Except that the design should have had them working ALL THE TIME. Not working at any time is abnormal operation: the CEL should come on.

Your perception of "normal" is abnormal.

We're OT, so I'm going to quit this argument.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:34 AM   #18
babyfaby
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 530D G30/Z4 E86 3.0SI/320i E30

Now, i can't wait for this oil to be delivered. I'm very curious testing it.

My car has 160 000kms and i had no issue with it. I just noticed for the last 30 000kms the exhaust start to be sooty as it was clean till then. Some users of this oil with sooty exhaust declared it started to be clean again.

As it contains no Zinc, it won't harm the Cat(DPF). It costs quite nothing to test it. And if it smoothen the engine, what else could we ask for?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #19
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

I've been using 2-cycle ever since a Ford diesel mechanic recommended it for my Ford F350 7.3l diesel for about 6 years / 50k miles (truck is at 175k miles now ... hasn't been driven much the past couple of years). I use at least 16 oz per fillup (typically a 23 gal on 30 gal tank). The correct ratio is said to be 1oz of 2-cycle for every 1 gal of diesel.

Some people state they gain 1-2 mpg but I haven't paid that close attention. Depending on if I'm hauling extra weight or more city miles vs more hwy ... I can't tell the difference other than it keeps it a bit quieter. But it's a big 7.3 its a loud engine ... sounds like an International tractor truck ... but doesn't knock like a Cummins.

Every couple of months I'll add Diesel Kleen for the injectors
Appreciate 0