F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 428i Coupe with Adaptive and RFT - ACS springs question/feedback
ARMA SPEED

08-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
Interceptor
Rep
Drives: 428i MSport

428i Coupe with Adaptive and RFT - ACS springs question/feedback

I have just bought this 63-plate car and I am very pleased with it; it has a good MSport spec, colour (EBII) and is in great condition on 31,000 miles. Obviously it does not have the 'music' of a 6-cylinder but is still a great all-rounder.

Frequently covered on this forum is that ACS springs are a worthwhile upgrade, but most of the forum posts are for the heavier-engined (*30*,*35*, *40i) and/or 'highly-sprung' x-drive models.

I had ACS springs on my F20 118iMSport for 2 years/38,000 miles, firstly with RFT and then non-RFT so I am familiar with the overall brand and with subsidising Lorcan's yacht etc !

However, is there anyone with recent experience of running the ACS springs on a 428i (or 420i, 430i) with Adaptive Suspension, 19" wheels and RFT tyres ?

What is the ride and handling like in Comfort mode ?

What is the ride and handling like in Sport mode ?

What is the 'drop' compared with normal MSport suspension (I want little or no drop for spoiler ground clearance) ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

(I am not after a debate on non-RFT since I am a high-mileage driver and RFT's are generally getting better apart from Bridgestone S**T).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

You've just bought the car : why don't you see what YOU think of the ride in comfort and sport settings is like, and decide from there ?

Personally (RWD, estate, diesel, with adaptive suspension on 19" wheels and RFTs), I think the ride is a lot better in comfort than sport - in sport it seems that you're having to make constant input corrections, ride is a lot firmer. In comfort it's just much smoother, flows over bumps.
Fortunately, you can configure sport mode to just be engine, and leave the dampers in comfort mode all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

We had a 428i Lux as a demonstrator for a while, and while it didn't have adaptive it was still very comfortble, even on 20" wheels (on non-runflats). I can't imagine that an M Sport on 19s, even runflats, is going to be much worse in terms of ride quality and the springs we supply will be the same so I can't see any downside really.

No doubt there are some owners on here that will pitch in with their own thoughts though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
BR27
Private
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
You've just bought the car : why don't you see what YOU think of the ride in comfort and sport settings is like, and decide from there ?

Personally (RWD, estate, diesel, with adaptive suspension on 19" wheels and RFTs), I think the ride is a lot better in comfort than sport - in sport it seems that you're having to make constant input corrections, ride is a lot firmer. In comfort it's just much smoother, flows over bumps.
Fortunately, you can configure sport mode to just be engine, and leave the dampers in comfort mode all the time.
Doesn't the OP mean with ACS springs fitted, i.e. What's the ride like in comfort and sport with adaptive, 19's, ACS, RFT, etc?

No need to get your knickers in a twist.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR27 View Post
Doesn't the OP mean with ACS springs fitted, i.e. What's the ride like in comfort and sport with adaptive, 19's, ACS, RFT, etc?

His question asks if it's a worthwhile upgrade. My suggestion is that he actually gets to use the car a bit - he's just bought it. Use it for a couple of months, and get to know it a little.
If he finds it perfectly fine as stock, then pissing money away on changing the springs for the hell of it makes no sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
BR27
Private
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR27 View Post

His question asks if it's a worthwhile upgrade. My suggestion is that he actually gets to use the car a bit - he's just bought it. Use it for a couple of months, and get to know it a little.
If he finds it perfectly fine as stock, then pissing money away on changing the springs for the hell of it makes no sense at all.
Fair comment, my apologies, long week
Appreciate 0