THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Start up exhaust sound - with deleted resonators

08-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
chois2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Start up exhaust sound - with deleted resonators

Does anyone know why at start up the exhaust is so loud? and is there any way of adjusting this?

I deleted my resonators and the exhaust sounds great on the road, but every time I start up the engine in my garage, it is extremely loud. I literally have to start the car in gear and pull out immediately after start up. Seems when I release the clutch in gear the sound goes away, but once I depress it, it will become loud again for 10-15 seconds, then everything goes back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M240i & 16' X1

I'm in the same boat as you, not much we can do about it besides putting it in gear and rolling out slowly to let the engine warm up. (Slightly quieter than just raw start)
I have the resonator delete + muffler mod so I'm a tad bit louder than you.

I wake up really early to go to the gym and I'm sure my neighbors hate me...I mean are jealous :]
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
DailySleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

I don't know the official name of the feature but it is an intended process for a cold start-up. I think it's part of the process that allows the engine to get into operating range more quickly. My Cadillac does the same thing.

Clear as mud?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
chois2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

I'm worried more about my wife making me put the resonators back on than the neighbors! I wouldn't dare leave the house in the early morning hours for the fear of waking up the entire family.

Wondering if putting the smaller resonator back on would help?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chois2 View Post
I'm worried more about my wife making me put the resonators back on than the neighbors! I wouldn't dare leave the house in the early morning hours for the fear of waking up the entire family.

Wondering if putting the smaller resonator back on would help?
Haha, I agree.

I find rolling the car OUT of the garage helps with the sound instead of it just echoing like crazy inside the garage.

I don't think putting one back will do much.

I removed 1 resonator at a time and didn't hear any significant difference in sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
I just have the fabspeed sport cat and my cold start is crazy loud as well. Definitely feel bad for the neighbors!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
WillOs
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
MPE Is ridiculously loud at cold start up. Im in an Apartment and it shakes the car so much the plates vibrate for about 30 seconds lol... Neighbours in the property directly above the garage LOVE me.... HAHAHA
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumn View Post
Haha, I agree.

I find rolling the car OUT of the garage helps with the sound instead of it just echoing like crazy inside the garage.

I don't think putting one back will do much.

I removed 1 resonator at a time and didn't hear any significant difference in sound.
Quantumn: Which resonator (front or rear) did you remove first? My theory is that removing just the front resonator provides the same sound benefit as removing both, but to my knowledge, no one has reported on trying this.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
Quantumn: Which resonator (front or rear) did you remove first? My theory is that removing just the front resonator provides the same sound benefit as removing both, but to my knowledge, no one has reported on trying this.
I did the rears first and found it to not be loud enough.

I followed with the fronts (Egg shaped one) and again not the tone I was looking for.

I finally decided a muffler mod was in order and now it is just about perfect

Except...the loud cold start but after it is OK haha
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
I did the rears first and found it to not be loud enough.

I followed with the fronts (Egg shaped one) and again not the tone I was looking for.

I finally decided a muffler mod was in order and now it is just about perfect

Except...the loud cold start but after it is OK haha
So basically you're now running resonator delete and the muffler mod is like the muffler delete, am I right?

Do you mind sharing a video with us, please? I'm curious about the tone. I like the deeper tone exhaust :-).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalM240i View Post
So basically you're now running resonator delete and the muffler mod is like the muffler delete, am I right?

Do you mind sharing a video with us, please? I'm curious about the tone. I like the deeper tone exhaust :-).

Hey, Michal! I'll record one once the rain goes away here...My waterproof case for gopro broke

That's 90% true.

I didn't weld the hole completely shut (see attached photo). I read that if I did that style it may as well BE a muffler delete haha...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 02:02 AM   #12
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalM240i View Post

Hey, Michal! I'll record one once the rain goes away here...My waterproof case for gopro broke

That's 90% true.

I didn't weld the hole completely shut (see attached photo). I read that if I did that style it may as well BE a muffler delete haha...
Oh i see .
Nice! Cannot wait for the video
Appreciate 0